PDA

View Full Version : Marine leaders mull over mentoring

thedrifter
10-25-05, 06:11 AM
Marine leaders mull over mentoring
Marine Forces Pacific
Story by Lance Cpl. R. Drew Hendricks

U.S. MARINE CORPS FORCES, PACIFIC, CAMP H. M. SMITH, Hawaii (Oct. 24, 2005) -- The Training and Education Command has drawn up a program that will take the already hardened bond between leaders and their subordinates and form an even stronger link connecting senior and junior Marines through mentorship and encouraging better leadership qualities and unit cohesion.

The Marine Corps Mentoring Program is being implemented not as a new concept, but as formal guide to an ancient tradition.

“This is nothing new really, its simply reminding Marines to follow their basic leadership principles, to help yourself become a better leader and more importantly set your Marines up for success,” said Staff Sgt. Jason O. Whitesel, the special security officer chief, here.

Senior Marines have been mentoring young Marines informally since the Corps’ creation. The fact is, that today not every Marine is mentored and not every Marine is provided one-on-one leadership by his direct senior, according to Gen. Michael W. Hagee, commandant of the Marine Corps.

As such TECOM has designed a guidebook to assist leaders in the formal mentoring program.
From the very beginning, the guidebook spells out exactly what a mentor is and how important they can be to a junior Marine’s life.

“I put a lot of faith into my mentor, First Sgt. Curt Day,” said Lance Cpl. Randi M.J. Foust, a combat videographer here. “Since he knows me as a person, and actually cares for me, I know I can go to him with any questions or concerns that I may have.”

A mentor is defined as a “…wise adviser, teacher and guardian.” Every Marine from the private, who is graduating recruit training to the commandant, needs a mentor to provide guidance and leadership, according to the mentor guidebook.

Along with the guidebooks, Marines will use their mentor logs as a syllabus to track their progress.

Mentor logs are documents that take the mentor through the process step by step, making sure to hit every key point, even so much as to tell them what tone of voice to use, when to respond and how to respond.

“All Marines must work to become good mentors. Being a good Mentor is a fundamental part of good leadership,” according to Hagee. “Having and displaying genuine concern for your fellow Marine all the time and for every endeavor is the key to success for Marine leaders.”

Commanders at all levels are responsible for ensuring that the mentor program is carried out in their units. Since the mentoring program is constantly changing and improving, any and all feedback is welcomed.

The Marine Corps Mentoring Program documents can be found at www.tecom.usmc.mil/mentoring/.

Ellie