PDA

View Full Version : Together we serve: Brothers join Marines

thedrifter
10-24-05, 06:22 AM
Together we serve: Brothers join Marines
Hurlock men follow in family's military tradition
By Kim Mitchell
Daily Times Staff Writer

HURLOCK -- It's how Norman Era Jr. raised his sons -- to not only be patriotic but to fight for their country.

So when he watched his boys, Norman Era III and Phillip Era, follow in his footsteps by joining the Marines, he knew what they were getting into.

"They looked at it as a challenge," the father said. "I was laughing at them the whole time."

If the two thought they had a strict and demanding childhood, the eldest Era knew what his boys were in for at basic training on Parris Island, S.C.

For their mother, Patricia Era, it was quite a shock to have her boys leaving home at the same time.

"When we're around she tries to act like she's all tough, but like any mom, she's worried about her boys," Norman Era III said Monday. "She wants us to go and be who we want to be."
Becoming Marines

In his junior year of high school, Norman Era III didn't know what he wanted to do when he was older. But a conversation with his grandfather led him to decide to join the Marines.

"It's a family tradition to go into the military," he said, speaking of not only his father but his uncles and grandfather. "The Marines work harder and earn more respect."

It became a plan but one that took some time to accomplish.

"I took time to have fun and get out of schooling ways," he said.

Phillip Era knew the Marines offered the opportunity to travel and break the monotony of everyday life. A year after he graduated high school he enlisted.

"One day he came home and said he signed up for the Marines," Norman Era III said. "I figured it was a good enough time, so I did too. We didn't plan it. It just came around and happened."

The oldest brother didn't know of his younger brother's intentions but was proud when he heard.

"It's good to know that your little brother looks up to you," he said. "And doing something that big with my brother really means something to me."

The two left Hurlock in May for training at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot. There, with others vying to become Marines, the two were pushed to their physical limits and learned to work as a team.

"When you're going to a place you've never been to before and no one you know there, it's hard. He was someone to talk to, relate to. It made it a lot easier," Norman Era III said of his brother.

With just a year difference in their ages, the two had always been close. Being together for the grueling three months of training made it easier for them.

"It was like a piece of home was there with me," Phillip Era said Tuesday.

Having his older brother as a fellow recruit also gave Phillip Era an extra edge.

"We're pretty competitive," Phillip Era said. "If he did something, I wanted to do it better. I always wanted to outdo him."

There were times when they questioned their decisions to join, but once they finished the training that transformed them from civilians to Marines, they knew it was worth it.

"I'd do it again just to go through the graduation," Norman Era III said. "There is no other way in the world to get a feeling like that."

The two graduated together Aug. 19, which made it easier for their parents, Norman Era Jr. said. "We only had to make one trip," he said.

After graduation, the two went to Camp Geiger, N.C., for Marine Combat Training where all enlisted Marines receive training.

But shortly after their training began, Norman Era III broke one of his hands. He remains at Camp Geiger on light duty until it heals.

It was different for the new Marines. After three straight months together, they'd have to be apart and independent.

"It was different," the youngest said. "But he isn't always going to be around me."

Norman Era III watched his younger brother graduate from MCT; he hasn't spoken to Phillip Era since.

"It was weird," Norman Era III said. "I used to be with my brother every day."
Where will they go from here?

Phillip and Norman Era III not only wanted to follow their father's footsteps into the Marines but also into mechanics.

Phillip Era is at Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri receiving military occupation specialty certification in motor transport.

"I like trucks," he said. "They're just fun, and here I get to learn a few things about engines."

After Norman Era III regains the use of his hand and completes his MCT, he will also be off to Missouri for 31 days of schooling in motor transport.

"Both of us are going for drivers of Humvees," he said. "It's always been one of my favorite vehicles and getting a chance to drive one would be awesome."

Both of the Era men know they may be sent overseas to drive the Humvees in convoys or on military bases. But the prospect of going to war is something for which they are prepared.

"I knew before I signed up it was a big chance of me going," the older brother said. "I have no worries because of the training we received."

Although Phillip Era is also not fearful of going to war, his brother worries for him.

"I always like to protect him," Norman Era III said. "I know he can take care of himself. He's pretty much a man now, so I can't treat him like a little brother anymore."

# Reach Kim Mitchell at 410-845-4634 or kmitchell@salisbury.gannett.com.

Ellie