PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Wilma is getting near.

Osotogary
10-23-05, 07:18 PM
As I type, Hurricane Wilma is bearing down on South Florida. Allthough coming in from the western part of the state it should pass Miramar, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami sometime this early morning. Rain bands should be getting familiar with this neck of the woods earlier. There is a Hurricane watch, so, that means that there will not be any work manana but that good news is a trade off.
Although it is now advisable to stay indoors, if anyone wishes to come bye for some pre-hurricane barbeque and a beer you will be more than welcome.
Some flooding is expected and winds are reaching 110 mph plus. (At that speed it doesn't matter if you have your house boarded up or not). Tornadoes are a worry and there is a large open space (North Perry Airport) just to the north, by a couple of blocks, ideal for a tornadoe to set down for a spell. This should be an interesting evening/night with the light on, very interesting with out electricity.
Until monday evening or later.
Gary

mrbsox
10-23-05, 07:38 PM
Well you just 'baten down the hatches' and make sure you got everything you need.

You said;
"Although it is now advisable to stay indoors, if anyone wishes to come bye for some pre-hurricane barbeque and a beer you will be more than welcome.

Nerver had barbequed VIENNA SAUSAGE. How do you keep them on the grill in that wind :banana:

Stay safe. !!

cajunguy
10-23-05, 10:13 PM
Hang in there, Gary.

I just went through Katrina AND Rita. I know what you have comin' at you.

Be safe. Let us know how you make out as soon as you can.

hrscowboy
10-23-05, 11:21 PM
aww heck a little tornado wont hurt ya, you can still bar b q and watch it as it goes by..

Joseph P Carey
10-24-05, 12:30 AM
Actually, I went through a lot of those storms in Miramar, Florida, including Donna in 1960, and everyone after that. An old trick we used to equal the air pressure in the house with the outside air pressure was to leave windows a little opened on one side of the house, usually in the Florida Room. We lost some lawn furniture sometimes, but never our roof.

Osotogary
10-24-05, 03:12 AM
It's 0400 and a wee bit and the wind is pretty much gusting about. Joseph, as old as the windows are in this house you can better believe that the air pressure will be equalized. Still have electricity but some areas are reporting outages. Nothing on the tube except news reporters getting blown all over helllll by the gusts of wind and rain. (It's getting comical to look at the bent over reporters and to listen to the stupid arse questions the news reporters in the studio are asking.) Some even report their stories bent over in half. Well, so far...so good. It should be an interesting next 12-16 hours.
Well take care and thanks for the well wishes, I will pass them on.
Adios from Miramar (Home of Joseph P Carey)
Gary

Namvet67
10-24-05, 04:39 AM
What's the latest Gary! I'm watching the weather channel and it looks like she is there! Hang in there!

Joseph P Carey
10-24-05, 11:04 AM
Good Luck Gary!

GySgtRet
10-24-05, 12:12 PM
Gary,

Hang in there dude. It will pass, just hope that you don't get any tornados.

junker316
10-24-05, 02:05 PM
Gary just keep your good spirits. There isn't anything you can do against mother nature except enjoy the ride.

Osotogary
10-26-05, 12:21 PM
Well, it's 1300 or so this wednesday the 26of October. Can't get gas, driving is certainly a hazard since some folks don't pay personal attention (absolute dorks) to the 4 way stop at intersection rule now in effect. All of our perishable food has been consumed but we still have water. (We've had some mighty fine eats the past couple of days with neighbors and all. Damn fine) I can deal with peanut butter and finger sandwiches and cold showers but the missus can't so, it's off to supermatkets that are open and buy what I can.
I'm on a borrowed coputer right now, once the power comes back up I'll submit some pictures that I took around the neighborhood. It'sd about the same all over. It all depends on how big the tree was that was blown over and where it was blown over and how many roof shingles landed in your yard.
Adios for now. I'd better take advnttage of the warm shower available.
Gary

Joseph P Carey
10-26-05, 12:27 PM
Well, it's 1300 or so this wednesday the 26of October. Can't get gas, driving is certainly a hazard since some folks don't pay personal attention (absolute dorks) to the 4 way stop at intersection rule now in effect. All of our perishable food has been consumed but we still have water. (We've had some mighty fine eats the past couple of days with neighbors and all. Damn fine) I can deal with peanut butter and finger sandwiches and cold showers but the missus can't so, it's off to supermatkets that are open and buy what I can.
I'm on a borrowed coputer right now, once the power comes back up I'll submit some pictures that I took around the neighborhood. It'sd about the same all over. It all depends on how big the tree was that was blown over and where it was blown over and how many roof shingles landed in your yard.
Adios for now. I'd better take advnttage of the warm shower available.
Gary

Glad to see you and your family are all OK Gary!

GySgtRet
Gary,

Glad to see that your still with us. I mean not just you but your community. Yes there are dorks all over. Have you ever been to the DC area??? Enough said.

Good luck Gary and family...!!!

yellowwing
Good to go, Gary. Glad to see you are safe, and warmly showered! I've always believed that other drivers were only giving it their best guess.

Osotogary
10-26-05, 01:19 PM
Well, 'm still on the borrowed computer (at a home that has power in a neighborhood far, far away.) So far I've got 2 of the 3 S's done....I'll shave later. LOL
Thanks for the well wishes.I'd better go.
Pass on my best to the Lance Corporal and his teammates. I wish them well and a speedy recovery.
Gary

greensideout
10-26-05, 09:59 PM
Gary, I was wondering if others thought how stupid the reporters looked out in the storms? I guess they will do that act till one gets sliced in half with a piece of sheet metal or something. Also, I was wondering about "ice" becoming a NEED rather then a WANT?---lol---all the hipe about ice being delivered.
Glad that you are safe! Take care.

Sgtj
10-26-05, 10:36 PM
Gary,

I know what your going through. We were without power for two full weeks back in Sept. It was hot as hell. Good news, I just got my roof fixed today, $$$$$$, What upsets me most, is I just built my house a little over a year ago. The roof WAS brand new. Oh well. Glad to hear your good to go. My wife is in Tampa this week for an internal job interview. We may be moving closer to you and all the other motivators down there in Fl. Take care and Semper Fi.

Osotogary
10-27-05, 02:44 PM
Afternoon, one and all! Had enough gas to get to one of the missus's relatives house that has electricity (underground cables, etc.) and has an available computer. Did some needed yardwork ,chopping trees from the house roof at that house using one band saw and my neighbor with a machete. Just got it done; about 5 hours of work. A chain saw would have been nice but the work had to get done.
Cold beer was the reward plus a hot shower and some fine Cuban cuisine. Can't complain. Still don't have a telephone service or electricity at the house and getting gas for the truck?? Un frikken believeable! There is no way that a commute to work is possible on a daily basis, let alone a one time trip with the gas situation being as it is right now. Unless the trip is for essentials, it is best to use gas wisely.
We are okay. We still have water and some non refrigerated food and clean clothes and underarm deodorant. LOL.
Here's a tip if you are ever in need of using survival surplus/stored supplies. Don't forget the sanitary napkins! It will save you all kinds of grief. LOL
Adios from Miramar.
Pass on my best to the Lance Corporal.
Gary

Osotogary
11-04-05, 09:11 AM
Update:
Things are looking up. More power is being restored (maybe our neighborhood will be next). Don't have to boil water any more. Can actually find food markets with perishable goods being sold. Gas? Not all gas stations are open but there are enough open without having to wait in line. Still using a "borrowed" computer. Can't wait to get back to the house and submit some photos and cartoons. Thanks to one and all for the well wishes and it is always nice to hear updates regarding LCpl Seeley and his fellow Marines and Corpsmen.
Adios.
Gary

GySgtRet
11-04-05, 12:51 PM
Gary,

Nice to see that you don't have to rub sticks together and boild water. But any idea when things will be back from the 18th century for you...??? LOL

Semper Fidelis

:idea: