PDA

View Full Version : Former high school athlete reaps benefits of being a Marine

thedrifter
10-23-05, 07:38 AM
Former high school athlete reaps benefits of being a Marine
II Marine Expeditionary Force (FWD)
Story by Cpl. Ruben D. Maestre

CAMP FALLUJAH, Iraq (Oct. 22, 2005) -- The high school football and soccer player from Moncks Corner, S.C., had the chance to go to college on a scholarship. Instead, he sought personal self-improvement and joined the smallest branch of the military, the Marine Corps.

“I wanted to be independent,” said Lance Cpl. Corinthian Green, a postal clerk assigned to Camp Fallujah Post Office, Service Company, Headquarters and Service Battalion, 2nd Force Service Support Group (FWD. “I didn’t want to depend on anyone but myself.”

At 6 feet 2 inches tall, Green played sports at Berkley High School in Moncks Corner. Yet, his physical talent and potential as an athlete wasn’t always in the forefront of his life.

“I never played sports until my eighth grade year,” said the 2003 high school graduate who later became a football outside linebacker and soccer goalie for his school’s teams.

Once involved in sports, Green’s athletic abilities improved. By the tenth grade he made varsity for both football and soccer and by his senior year he was team leader on the high school soccer team.

Despite his talent in sports, there was something missing. Green wanted independence, responsibility and self-discipline; traits he has grown to understand since entering the Corps in July 2003.

“I wanted to do something that was hard,” said Green of the challenge of boot camp. “Only (a small percentage) of Americans become Marines.”

He took the challenge, and as thousands do every year, he graduated from boot camp in the fall of 2003.

“(The Corps helps) make you into a better person,” he said of his experience as a Marine. “You have to learn how to deal with (different) people…this makes you a better person, a well-rounded person.”

Working with a diverse group of people, Green continues to serve around the world. He has been to Southern California, Japan and volunteered for deployment to Iraq.

“If I stay in the Marine Corps, I felt I needed the experience,” said Green. “I felt my duty to protect my country was for me to come out here, do my part and say I did it.”

With over a month into his tour here, Green takes pleasure in making sure service members get the opportunity to send and receive their mail.

“Everyone needs their mail,” he said. “To see the smile on their faces when (they) get the mail makes it worthwhile.”

Through the Corps, Green has gained a degree of financial independence, responsibility in ensuring troops get their mail and discipline by working through the obstacles he and other Marines face while serving in Iraq.

He has also found a sense of camaraderie among those he serves with.

“In the civilian world ... you ask a stranger to help you out, they might look at you as if you’re crazy,” said Green. “In the Marines, regardless of if you know the person, if you need to get something done, (Marines) are going to go out of their way to help you out.”

Green plans to join the Marine Corps Reserve after his active-duty enlistment and pursue a career in law enforcement.

Ellie