PDA

View Full Version : May We Never Forget Beruit

jinelson
10-23-05, 03:22 AM
On October 23, 1983 at 6:22 a.m., a large delivery truck drove to the Beirut International Airport where the Marine Barracks was located. After turning onto an access road leading to the compound, the driver rushed through a barbed-wire fence, passed between two sentry posts, crashed through the gate, and slammed into the lobby of the barracks. The driver detonated explosives with the power equal to more than 12,000 pounds of TNT. The explosion crumbled the four-story building, crushing service members to death while they were sleeping. The terrorist attack killed 220 Marines and 21 other U.S. service members who were stationed there to help keep the peace in a nation torn by war.

It was the bloodiest day in the Corps' history since World War II, when Marines fought to secure Iwo Jima.

We Remember Marines
Semper Fidelis

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/BeruitFallenCox.jpg

thedrifter
10-23-05, 07:32 AM
Learning from our past
October 23,2005
BY CHRIS MAZZOLINI View stories by reporter
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Terrorism introduced itself to America with a smile.

Today, 22-years-ago in Beirut, Lebanon, a yellow delivery truck packed with 12,000 pounds of explosives and a driver with a death wish steered toward the Beirut International Airport, where Marines had built a makeshift home and established a headquarters.

The van broke through a barricade and barreled between two sentry posts. The guards, carrying only unloaded rifles, reportedly saw a grin stretched across the driver's face.

The van buried itself in the lobby of the building and exploded. The blast transformed four stories of cinderblock into rubble, ending the lives of 241 Marines, sailors and soldiers inside. The majority of the Marines were with Camp Lejeune's 1st Battalion, 8th Marines.

The circumstance in Beirut, 1983, is separated by years but not subject matter. In today's Corps, when about 61 percent of Marines are younger than 26, the large majority that are battling terrorists and insurgents in Iraq and Afghanistan were in swaddling clothes or not even born when that building fell down in Beirut.

But the Devil Dogs at Camp Lejeune, the home of the Beirut Memorial and 1/8, remember the attack. It's a lesson that will never be forgotten.

"Everything is a learning process," said Sgt. Dwayne Williams, 27, from New York, who joined the Marines in 1997. "It was unfortunate that the Marine Corps learned a lesson like that, but the best lessons are learned the hard way."

"I think about all the individuals whose lives were changed and families rearranged because of carelessness," said Staff Sgt. Eric Johnson, 30, who hails from New Willard, Texas. "But we are learning from our past. It's like a revolving door. As it revolves, we get smarter and smarter."

Lessons learned

When the Marines arrived in Beirut in 1982 as part of an international peacekeeping force, they were stepping into a boiling cauldron of civil war, regional strife and religious conflict. Massacres of civilians were perpetrated by both sides with gruesome frequency.

The conflict in Lebanon, a melting pot of religions and cultures, was primarily divided between Christians and Muslims, each supported by a number of armed militias. It was complicated by the Palestinian Liberation Organization moving into southern Lebanon, and Israel and Syria also occupying sections of the country. Beirut itself was divided, with Muslims controlling the western side and Christians the eastern portion.

U.S. forces landed in Beirut as peacekeepers trying to bring stability to the torn region and supply a measure of protection for civilians. So as not to show too aggressive a posture, the Marines guarding the headquarters at the Beirut airport were ordered to keep their rifles unloaded and on their shoulders and their magazines in their ammo pouches.

When the explosive-laden truck ripped past, the sentries did not have enough time to load their weapons.

The Long Commission, which investigated the bombing, concluded that "much needs to be done to prepare U.S. military forces to defend against and counter terrorism."

Lance Cpl. Darron Charles, a 20-year-old Marine with 1/8's Charlie Company and who has fought in Iraq, said that the Marine Corps has learned a lot from the tragedy.

"Now, that wouldn't have happened," Charles said. "When I think about it, they deprived us of our jobs as Marines. Now, we've got an aggressive defensive posture when it comes to ensuring Marines are taken care of. It was an eye opener.

"They say as Marines we learn something new everyday."

'I see the scars'

While all Marines learn about Beirut during boot camp, many come there without knowing much about it. Johnson did, because his uncle was in the Marines in the early 1980s. But Lance Cpl Jason Martin, 21, a member of Weapons Company, 1/8, said he knew that something bad happened in Beirut, but didn't know specifics until he joined the Marines and did some reading on his own.

"In my high school, it never was a big point in history class," Martin said. "But I think it's something that should be taught."

Williams and Charles also didn't know much about the bombing until they signed up. Which begs the question: why does such a loss of American life and an attack that was such an omen of times to come get so little attention?

"I feel if it doesn't happen on our soil, we don't care about it as Americans," Johnson said. "Look at anything that went down overseas. It doesn't hit people in their heads that these are our people, our brothers and sisters that are dying."

"It was tragic, but it wasn't 9/11, it wasn't Vietnam," Williams said. "That's why it isn't as well known, except by people who have been in the military or around the military."

Johnson, who has Marine friends who were wounded in the bombing, said that their bravery and sacrifice deserves to be remembered.

"I see the scars on their faces, I see the scars on their bodies," he said. "It was one of the worst things that ever happened to them. And they say, 'It made me stay in the Marine Corps to help protect what we are fighting for.' They are outstanding Marines."

While most Americans may not be aware of the bombing, the Marines do recognize the support they receive from the local community, which honors the fallen every year. Today at 2 p.m., the Commandant of the Marine Corps, Gen. Michael W. Hagee, will speak during the annual remembrance at the Beirut Memorial near Camp Johnson.

It's that type of ritual that keeps the memories alive - and spreads the word.

"Word travels, and if it's widely known here, it's going to spread out in the United States," Williams said. "It's definitely a good thing. They are still holding on and showing their love for what we do as Marines."

"You will always have someone here that passes it on to their kids," Johnson added. "I pass it on to my kids."

Martin said that he will always be connected to Beirut's fallen despite being born after the bombing.

"They should never be forgotten," he said. "I didn't know them personally, but they were Marines, they were from 1/8, which brings it close to home, even though it was before I was born. We know a little about them, but I think we should know more."

Contact staff writer Chris Mazzolini at cmazzolini@freedomenc.com or at 353-1171, Ext. 229.

Ellie

Mark and I will be going to the Memorial later this afternoon with a few other Marines..
We will be saying a few Prayers for a few Marines that were not able to go this year...
Mark will be taking pix's and soon as we can we will add....

Rest In Peace Marines

Sgt TTTT
10-28-05, 12:43 PM
RIP (Marines formerly from 8th-&-I):

* Capt. Stone: a fine officer in the field whos (usually camouflaged-glove covered) hands were tied by the politics of the day (as far as I can tell)

* Capt. Haskell (sp?): mustang with the Superman suit (which doubled for long-johns)

...sorry, but the rest of the names are "fuzzy" at best in my mind:

* (2) SNCOs (last names both began with "B" -- Gunnies Barnett & Barret ?) -- drinking buddies (Sgt Vale/Veil - sp? told me that he found one of them bled-out with pictures of his family members spread-out before him on top of the concrete slab which had crushed his legs pinnining him down, with the barrel of his 45 in his mouth -- unfired)

* to those whose names I've completely forgotten (sorry, Marines; I wish I could remember you all)

This is what happens when those from on high place Marines in a low-area surrounded by enemy forces (on the surrounding high ground), placing these Marines in one big building & guarding said building with unloaded rifles (by the time the threat was perceived, ammo-pouch opened, magazine pulled-out, magazine-inserted, bolt-pulled back, then released & perhaps forward-assisted, and sights brought to bear on the enemy, the enemy had already had time to make it past the guard so that the guard was shooting at the enemy's back... it's assinine when you think it through). The Marine Corps suffers (overall) when someone up the chain of command does something to emasculate 'em (i.e.: unloaded weapons on guard duty); the Marine Corps prospers (overall) when Marines are treated as men: responsible (& screw the occassional ____-for-brains who acts irresponsibly -- we all shouldn't have to suffer a new, dangerously emasculated SOP for them; yet for some reason we almost always do). -- end of rant (for now)

Nagalfar
10-28-05, 04:30 PM
It still leaves a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach to even think about.. there is so much we all could say about it.. but how else can we feel about brothers who were slaughtered without so much as a chance to fight because of politcs and nothing more. Somedays it seems like the best are always dying to protect the worst..

teufelhund82-91
10-30-05, 03:33 PM
May God Bless and keep all those brave United States Marines who were killed that day, including L/Cpl. Johnny Copeland from Burlington NC. "they will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines"...

debbie_steve29
11-10-05, 08:46 AM
CPL Stephen E. Spencer was one of the fallen (slaughtered) in Beirut, Lebanon October 23,1983... he was also my beloved brother. I will NEVER forget... AND still have not found closure!!!! God Bless them ALL!!!! My brother's dear friend, James Silvia was also killed in the blast... James' sister, Lynne was married to my brother... so think about it... she lost her brother also, AND her new husband in the same so called "peace keeping mission"... with empty guns!!!!! Just wanted to share......

The sister of an angel......
Debbie Spencer Roshto

debbie_steve29
11-10-05, 08:49 AM
sorry.... did not mean to post 2 times, but I guess these boys deserve it.......................Debbie Spencer Roshto

jinelson
11-26-05, 07:29 AM
Welcome Aboard Lynne Spencer your profile speaks volumns may God Bless and keep you. You are among family here ma'am.

Semper Fi

btwils
11-30-05, 03:25 PM
The Phone rang at my house in Base housing at cherry point. Just then it came on the news about the bombing. The phone call was the Gunny telling me to get to the base we had to unload our bunkers and carry the stuff out to the runway for the replacments going in. By the time the Marines from Camp Lejune got to cherry point all of their 30 day supply was waiting for them.
Sgt Brian Wilson Det A 2nd FSSG Cherry Point N.C.

Sgt TTTT
12-08-05, 11:20 AM
Corrections to my post above (sorry, many injuries & time have taken their toll upon my memory -- esp. with names):

NOT Capt Stone, but rather Capt Winter, William E. (sorry got names crossed)

Names of "gunnies" wrong (may have been SSgts -- definitely were SNCOs... now I'm wondering if SSgt Bohnet is the one I thought of as Gunney Barnett... ???... again, sorry for my poor memory & mistakes)

---

Capt Haskell, Michael S. (is correct spelling)

P.S.: Does anyone know if 1stLt Zimmerman, William A was a 2dLt at 8th&I prior to Beirut?

Phantom Blooper
12-15-07, 01:16 AM
Gysgt Belmar....KIA 25 Oct Died of wounds. Semper-Fi! Gunny!:flag: :beer:

:evilgrin:

Finger
12-15-07, 10:39 AM
I was the Company Gunny of Fox 2/6. We were relieved by Gunny Hernadez and Bravo Company. Gunny and I had a few beers in my tent thwe night before I left. Both our boys were school chums back in J'ville. I flew in with the Air Alert Force from Cherry Point. My heart sank when I heard the names of the fallen, including Top Hernandez, who I believe just moved to S-3.

S/F
Finger