PDA

View Full Version : Tell her it is more than just Patriotism...

CAS3
10-21-05, 02:04 PM
Why would my retired dad rejoin the military?
October 21, 2005 1:06 am

-
Click for larger photo and to order reprints

Jessica Sieber
Why would my retired dad rejoin the military?
Does anyone truly understand life? I'm not talking about boy meets girl, boy and girl get married, and boy and girl have a family.

I'm talking about everyday life. I'm talking about how a tornado can miss the house right next to yours and come after you.

I'm talking about how people can walk by and get angry at a homeless person who is just trying to find food to survive.

I'm talking about a man who has given everything for his country and has nothing to show for it but battle scars and two divorces, and he still holds his head up high.

My dad has been in the military for 20 years and retired as a captain about two years ago. He flew attack helicopters, such as the Cobra, Apache, Black Hawk, and Huey. He was in Desert Storm, Kosovo, Afghanistan, and Korea.

Just recently he received "a gift to an old soldier." Those of you who have lived the military life know what that means. For those who haven't, it means he gets to go back into the military into a combat zone.

Why he would want to go back boggles my mind. This is where I have a really hard time understanding life.

How can the government ask you back in after you have been retired for so long? How can a man that has been out, who has already done his duty for Uncle Sam, want to go back in?

The one thing I do understand is patriotism, but even then it just makes no sense. How would you feel if one of your loved ones just up and decided to go back in?

Jessica Sieber
Spotsylvania

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright 2005 The Free Lance-Star Publishing Company.

outlaw3179
10-21-05, 02:15 PM
Its not about the money or the fame or because its cool. Your father has a love for his country and his men that most people will never know. You can try to wonder , and maybe analyze his decision but unless you have ever worn the uniform, you will never ever know.
Its about a love for your men. A love for your family and a love for what this country means . That is why a man who doesnt need to go backk, but chooses to in a heartbeat.
Being scared and aprehensive for your father in this troubling time is normal. but you should also feel proud to know a man of your fathers character. Because men like himself are the reason why America continues to be the best country on earth.

Deduke
10-22-05, 08:16 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if he was in Korea, he would have to be about 72 years old. I smell bulls**t.

Deduke

Joseph P Carey
10-22-05, 09:02 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if he was in Korea, he would have to be about 72 years old. I smell bulls**t.

Deduke

Wrong! We still have plenty of US Soldiers in Korea, and they are not nearly 72, they only seem like it! For the record, there is still an on-going truce in Korea!

Joseph P Carey
10-22-05, 09:12 PM
For the record, Officers are not enlistment bound; they serve at the convenience of the Congress! It makes sense to recall Officers, as the Reserves are nearing the end of their required duty. Who else should the Congress call to action?

Old Marine
10-23-05, 08:10 AM

Deduke

At the age of 71/72 just think of all of his knowledge. No age discremination here.

Tudy
10-24-05, 10:21 AM
In response to outlaw 3179's response ~~~~ DITTO and AMEN!

In respose to Jessica, I understand how you feel for I would feel the same way about my Dad. But as the saying goes, once a Marine always a Marine ~~~ there is so much meaning to that statement (even most Marine famlies can't quite comprehend it) and that is one reason why your Dad became "active" again. May God be with him and all the others like him.

Another Proud Marine's daughter (from WWII through Vietnam through infinity),
Tudy

junker316
10-24-05, 12:01 PM

Deduke
There has never been an end to the Korean Conflict. Just a Truce. To this Day the Koreans believe that they are still fighting each other.
Also, this to Jessica, I have broken time. I felt that no matter what I did for my nation is wasn't enough. I have been through the Gulf War, been to Kosovo, and returned to Iraq two more times to combat since. Our nation has taken care of me and family. I believe it is my job, and others like me, to help our nation to keep taking care of Americans and the families that need us. Also I feel that if I can spread the wisdom I have gained during my time to others younger than myself then maybe they will use it and live through whatever they may be headed for. I Love Our Nation enough to continue loyal service and be grateful for what it stands for. So I plan to serve her until she feels that I have done enough. No matter whether I am a Civilian or still in the USMC. Your father may feel the same way. May GOD guide him through the times he will face.