PDA

View Full Version : Doc Randell is adopted by students of MOH winner school

marinemom
10-20-05, 06:19 PM
mdbsox said that we should all do something for the doc - and he is right.

Here in Alexandria, we have a middle school named after a Navy Corpsman who was awarded the Medal of Honor posthumously for his actions in Korea. The principal of the school is a Navy brat (even tho her dad was a winger).

I spoke with her today, and the Francis C. Hammond Middle School is adopting Randell - and they are sending him a school denim shirt with the seal on the front pocket. In addition, they are also sending a videocassette of the life of Francis C. Hammond and the events that led to his award.

There are 1,200 kids in that school - so you can imagine the letters that will be going to Bethesda......In addition, Chris Clarke (the principal) is writing a letter to Randell inviting him to come to the school when he is able - she wants to have an assembly in his honor. I told her it might be a long while - they do not care, lol.

I have listed Francis C. Hammon's citation belwo for those who want to know....

"The President of the United States in the name of the Congress takes pleasure in presenting the Medal Of Honor posthumously to

HOSPITALMAN FRANCIS C. HAMMOND

UNITED STATES NAVY

For service as set forth in the following

CITATION:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as a Medical Corpsman serving with the 1st Marine Division in action against enemy aggressor forces in Korea on the night of 26 March, 1953 and 27 March, 1953. After reaching an intermediate objective during a counter attack against a heavily entrenched and numerically superior hostile force occupying ground on a bitterly contested outpost far in advance of the main line of resistance, Hospitalman Hammond's platoon was subjected to a murderous barrage of mortar and artillery fire, followed by a vicious assault by onrushing enemy troops. Resolutely advancing through the veritable curtain of fire to aid his stricken comrades, Hospitalman Hammond moved along the stalwart garrison of Marines and, although critically wounded himself, valiantly continued to administer aid to the other wounded throughout an exhausting four hour-period. When the unit was ordered to withdraw, he skillfully directed the evacuation of casualties and remained in the fire-swept area to assist the corpsman of the relieving unit until he was struck by a round of enemy mortar fire and fell, mortally wounded. By his exceptional fortitude, inspiring initiative and self-sacrificing efforts, Hospitalman Hammond undoubtedly saved the lives of many Marines. His great personal valor in the face of overwhelming odds enhanced and sustains the finest traditions of the United States Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

/s/ Dwight D. Eisenhower"

hrscowboy
10-20-05, 07:00 PM
Out freekin standing that is so neat. He deserves to be honored no doubt about it..

GySgtRet
10-20-05, 07:06 PM
marinemom,

I don't know what to say except that the Corpsman that saved LCpl Seeley is in this same calibre. Thank you Doc Randall. To the children of Francis C. Hammond Middle School. Thank you for taking on this most loving endeavor for a person that you haven't meet as of yet. You are all special to us that have served our country, and that are presently serving our country. Thank you

Semper Fidelis

CHOPPER7199
10-20-05, 07:34 PM
Just Simple " Outstanding " On It All.

BOOGIEMAN44
10-20-05, 08:36 PM
That Is Too Awesome, I Love It When Our Young People Get Involved,

ringoffire
10-20-05, 10:01 PM
This is absolutly wonderful, what a great thing the kids are doing. Bethesdas mail room will be busy, and for good reason.