PDA

View Full Version : American Naval Infantry Give Marines Competition

thedrifter
10-20-05, 04:41 AM
American Naval Infantry Give Marines Competition <br />
by James Dunnigan <br />
October 19, 2005 <br />
<br />
The U.S. Navy recently announced that they are creating a Naval Infantry branch, to provide the fleet with...

cbqrr47
10-20-05, 09:36 PM
WTF, this mission is given to the Marine Corps by Federal Law. Why doesn't the CMC scream bloody murder? Oh, I forgot this is the guy who "farmed out" the gate sentries jobs. Now, he lets this kind of thing happen so he can save a few "boat spaces". Marines ARE Naval Infantry!

tbruyle5
10-20-05, 10:58 PM
I agree with cbqrr47. That's our job. As a former "sea-going Marine", I enjoyed that title and think we ought to claim it again.

:marine:

captken
10-21-05, 10:09 AM
Agree with all the above. After 36 years in a Navy uniform I quite liked the idea of you Marines being the ground forces. Reminds me of when I was an E-3 on USS Ranger in VN. I got assigned to a "repelling boarders" party. At my first muster with this party I (barely knowing the "pointy" end from the "looky" end of a 50 Cal weapon) asked the 1st Sgt what he wanted me to do. He looked me over as only a 1st Sgt can look over a Sailor and said, "Just stay out of my way!"

That was good advice then and it's good advice now. I'm now retired but still have a lot of contacts in the CNO's office in the Pentagon. Let me snoop around and see what's going on.

captken
10-22-05, 05:41 PM
I've done a little checking around and found out that Navy Times made a pretty big deal out of it. I let my subscription lapse. I wonder if anyone knows if Marine Times carried the same articles. They often do. I'll try to talk to the Navy PAO shop in the Pentagon next week.

MillRatUSMC
10-22-05, 06:29 PM
:evilgrin: I believe that we all getting upset over nothing,
it states a "naval infantry branch",
it could be from a small force, to almost a Division,
One thing, where is the funding coming from?
There's just so many dollars.
Yes, the CMC, should speak up on this matter.
When it could infringe on missions of the Marine Corps
They already have the Navy Seals,
That a "naval infantry branch", are they planning to increase that?
I suggest we wait to see what the CMC does on this.
:evilgrin:

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

RLeon
10-22-05, 11:08 PM
From what I understand they're planning on using the gents that couldn't make it as a SEAL.

CAS3
10-23-05, 09:14 AM
(barely knowing the "pointy" end from the "looky" end of a 50 Cal weapon)

Thanks you Capt. Ken,

Almost peed myself laughing so hard!

marinemom
10-23-05, 11:18 AM
Sometimes, I wonder what they are putting in the water at that five-sided puzzle palace up the road from me.......

Time for a visit from the shrinks for the CNO - just because they are the"senior" service by 29 days, DOES NOT mean that they walk on water......they missed that talent by 29 days.

captken
10-23-05, 05:22 PM
Thanks you Capt. Ken,

Almost peed myself laughing so hard!

Glad to be of service. BTW minor correction it was a SSgt not a 1Sgt. Didn't want to get busted on a technicality.

GySgtRet
10-24-05, 08:44 AM
captken,

Attention to detail please...!!!!

captken
10-24-05, 10:55 AM
Gee, it's so much fun working with a retired gunny!:no: