PDA

View Full Version : Fuji Fire Marines - 1979

Devildogg4ever
10-16-05, 08:47 AM
http://www.angelfire.com/nc3/dshunting0/imagesAA/24marineslist.GIF

Another year has gone by, but we remember!
I pray for your families everyday, and stay in contact through the years!
We miss you so very much!!! Until we meet at the gates, my Brothers, ...Semper Fi!

mpwildes
10-17-05, 12:09 PM
When I was in Fuji last December, I had seen a plaque by the flag pole stating about this tragic incident. But I never heard anything about what really had happend. Can you fill me in?

Devildogg4ever
10-17-05, 06:00 PM
Here is the link to my site! On the left, you will see the links to the Memorial I have put up for them and a page I made of the article Stars & Stripes put out in 1999, doing the 20 year Anniversary of the Fuji fire!

I'm proud to say that my site was the first on the internet to have anything dealing with that fire!!

http://warriorsden.net/

Also, if you have time, sign my guest book! Thanks!!

Semper Fi!!

Don

mpwildes
10-18-05, 06:01 AM
I went to your site and it told me exactly what I wanted to know. I added it to my favorites. What a great page!! Now I know what happened. Thanks for the great info.

Everyone Should look at this Page, and read the Story of those Marines who's lives ended way too soon.

TOWcritter
10-18-05, 04:15 PM
2/4 relieved 3/9. I was in Kilo Co. 3/9 on the way to the P.I. and we got caught in Typhoon Tip. We were on a LST, I think it was the Fresno. Walking on walls isn't taught in bootcamp. The Navy guys thought we were all going to die. I knew a few guys who survived the fire and we drank a few for those who didn't. It never should have happened any way. Everyone knew those fuel bladders shouldn't have been there above the camp like that. I wonder who took the fall for that? My quonset that I stayed in twice was incinerated. I have pictures of the guys taking a shower in the rain from the typhoon right before we left. I've never seen rain like that since. A literal wall of water.

SEMPER FI

Devildogg4ever
10-18-05, 07:40 PM
Good to see ya, TOWcritter! I don't think anyone actually got that pinned on them, but I heard through the grapevine that it had been kept hushed up, do to 2/4 receiving a new Battalion Commander and it leaving a dark spot on his record! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/ShooterDSH/icon_thumbup.gif

BeltieBandit
05-27-11, 08:25 PM
I was reading a Memorial Day article encouraging the readers to remember the fallen, and it reminded me of a dismal friday afternoon, October 19 1979, a payday, but with the typhoon, everyone just hit the rack! So I did a search, and found this site! I was there that day, and I was incredibly lucky. You see, when the water flooded the camp, my team was called to help, so I was standing in my quanset hut, getting dressed when I saw the glow in the window. Once we saw that, it was all we could do to get down the hill, dressed or not. I remember when the first casualty was carried into the basecamp storage facility at the bottom of the mountain. I remember that several hundred voices stopped at once, and you could hear a pin drop. I knew a couple of the dead/wounded, but not really. Chowhall line conversations, or maybe a game of pickup hoops doesn't really count as knowing someone, but I did. I remember how I felt when we got back to Okinowa, and the other BN there referred to it a Col. Redgraves BBQ, and I remember standing ready with E-tools and Flaqjackets on the PT field ready to shut them up. I remember calling my mom to tell her everything was okay, because I thought for sure she would have heard about it, but she hadn't. I remember an article in Readers Digest about the survivors, and the pain they went through down in Texas at the burn unit. I was a peace-time marine mostly, but I remember that afternoon! I guess just remembering those guys, is what this weekend is all about. I feel a little guilty, because 30 minutes ago, I was just grumbling that my boat wasn't ready for the lake.....Thanks again for the site, and for the reminder, even to one of us that was there!

Ric Kelperis
STA Platoon
2/4

Jim Tipton
07-07-11, 07:37 AM
Hope you all don't mind the post. I'm a retired Marine CWO5 and my brother Mark Tipton was in the Fuji fire. He received the Navy Marine Corps Medal. I wanted to try and reach as many of the Marines that he may have served with. Mark passed away last week. The fire and the Marines he served with never left his thoughts and I thought it was important to let you know we have all lost a brother. Thank you for your time. If you have any details about Mark at Fuji I would appreciate you sharing them. jtipton@colt.com

BeltieBandit
07-07-11, 06:12 PM
Jim,

I am so sorry for your loss. I do not remember your brother, but my prayers are with you and your family. I wish there was more I could tell you.

Ric Kelperis

fuji13
08-05-11, 12:32 AM
As the word goes out to fuji fire veterans about the passing of our Brother Tipton, a moment of silence is being observed by us. I personally knew Tip, we served as brothers and friends 2/4. It is a sad time for us, we want his family to know that he was a Great Marine/Leader. A jokester and Great Friend. Though it was the Cold War Era I trully would have given my life for such a Marine. As I know he would have done the same. I was told of his bravery that day at fuji. Semper Fi My Brother. Guard those pearly gates until we come together as a unit again. 2/4 81s Second to None

kfahren
09-28-11, 10:45 PM
Here is the link to my site! On the left, you will see the links to the Memorial I have put up for them and a page I made of the article Stars & Stripes put out in 1999, doing the 20 year Anniversary of the Fuji fire!

I'm proud to say that my site was the first on the internet to have anything dealing with that fire!!

http://warriorsden.net/

Also, if you have time, sign my guest book! Thanks!!

Semper Fi!!

Don
I've never forgotten that day. My name is Cpl Kevin Fahrendorff. I was there too! I was with Golf 2/4 weapons platoon. This is such an awesome web sight and thanks for starting this forum about the Fuji fire. It was so covered up and very few know about that day and the brothers we lost and that were burned so bad. I guess I wasn't as tough as I thought when I think back about details. So much I don't recall. Payday waiting for liberty call with the typhoon and nowhere to go. If I remember correctly it was around 1300 hours. Staying at the Japanese camp and how small the racks and everything else seemed. It's been 32 years and every oct.19th I think about that day. Thanks so much for starting this for our fallen brothers. Keep in touch, Kevin Semper Fi