PDA

View Full Version : My visit with LCpl Shawn Seeley

GySgtRet
10-15-05, 03:49 PM
I took the chance that I could visit with LCpl Seeley as you have all seen on the posting praying for LCpl Seeley. I made the trip from Stafford to NNMC (National Naval Medical Clinic). If you plan on visiting with him he is in room E508 or 5 East. The liaison does need to be called and cannot give you any updates on conditions of any of the patient's at the clinic. Cpl Rodriguez is the Marine liaison that I spoke with today 301.295.6111. He does this to make sure that the patient is available and to check what room they are in.

My visit was a very pleasant one but not at first I kept getting chockedup, you know a lump in your throat. I met the grandmother (a retired RN) who asked me if I had ever stayed at Bethesda I told no, just as an outpatient. She told me that she likes the way that it is run and that she sees that LCpl Seeley is in excellent hands. The grandfather is a Vavy veteran we spoke for quite a while about Shawn and his condition.

Then there was Shawn's mom. WOW what a lady Shawn is lucky to have her as his mom she is great...!!! I have not had the pleasure of meeting Amanda yet.

I met Shawn after being introduced to the family members that I have mentioned. He doesn't look really to awfuly bad considering what he has been through. I know that he has a long road ahead and anything we can do we should at least try to do. My purpose in going today was to tell him thank you. I did that but he thanked me for being there. I think we both came out of that one ahead.

I asked Shawn if he would mind if I took a picture? He said go right ahead. And can I post it on Leatherneck? Yes that would be great. I plan on going back in a couple of weeks. He is probably going into surgery on Monday. I asked him what kind of music he said country western, Toby Keith, Clint Black, and so on.

SO here is LCpl Shawn Seeley as of today:

Semper Fidelis

ringoffire
10-15-05, 04:10 PM
It's wonderful of you to make the trip to Bethesda. I have to agree with the Grandmothers' opinion of NNMC. I can't believe how great Shawn looks considering what he went through. He has a angel somewhere watching over him. He's smiling!, of course that could be drug induced. Thank you for posting a picture GySgtRet. Our prayers continue.

GySgtRet
10-15-05, 04:12 PM
ringoffire,

You are partially correct on the drug part. However, in this case he wanted to do this and the smile is a real one. I had to thank him that was my purpose. But Iam going back and it wasn't any trouble at all. The drivers around the beltway were behaving today.

Semper Fidelis

Amanda
10-15-05, 04:54 PM
Hey! Sorry i missed you GySgtRet. I was up with shawn from 3;30 am to 8:30 this morning, so when you came to visit i was sleeping. I really wish I could have met you. But Shawn was talking about your visit, and it meant a lot to him. I know he was so touched. He is such an amazing person. He is totally cooperative, trying to do everything he can to get better. I am going to be here at least, this whole weekend. I don't think you will be back here by then...but i will be coming back and forth between seattle to bethesda until my Marine is home! Once again, it chokes me up just knowing how much it meant to him that you visited...it REALLY lifted his spirits. I hope to meet you sometime! ~Amanda

ringoffire
10-15-05, 05:09 PM
GySgtRet-God was smiling on you, if they were behaving on the beltway. It isn't too bad of a drive between Stafford and Bethesda. I learned to drive on the beltway, SCARY. It is great that you could visit Shawn.

GySgtRet
10-15-05, 05:58 PM
Amanda,

I didn't realize that Shawn would remember me he was in and out of sleeping when I was there today. I was chockedup too. I didn't know what to exspect or even if I would be able to see him but well you know the rest. I was a real honest to goodness visit sort of and funny at times. I will return there is about two weeks or so. I am going to get him some music to listen to. I am sorry that we missed eachother too. I wanted to meet you too. Well, he is a good Marine and is surrounded by people that love him very much I saw that today. The staff of NNMC included. Have a good night and thank you for posting.

Semper Fidelis

GySgtRet
10-15-05, 06:01 PM
ringoffire,

Amen to that...!!! But on the way back from Bethesda in Virginia around Newington there was a state patrol car with the blue lights flashing and we had to look at those for a while. The closer to Woodbridge another and you know how that goes. I look at it as doing a service for LCpl Seeley and thanking him. I enjoyed it...!!!

Cole11
10-15-05, 06:58 PM
hang in there seeley, we are all pullin for ya, Semper Fi

Joseph P Carey
10-15-05, 07:13 PM
Thank you Gunny! You did Good! Well done!

The young Marine looks very good. I know how it feels to be in a hospital for a year with wounds. It is not so much your wounds that will bother you while you are treated, but the other fellows that will get your attention. Your pain is shared with their pains, and your good spirits are shared as well! It is really terrific to have people that know you come to visit, because it is then that you get to be of a brave face, and this too helps in the recovery.

Lance Corporal Seeley, I wish you all the good fortune that you will need to make it through your crucible. There will be times you will wish to quit because of the pain, but gut it out kid, the benefits will enrich you beyond what can imagine. I know that does not make any sense to you now, but it will later on. Trust me on this one Marine!

greensideout
10-15-05, 07:32 PM
There ya go Gunnery, doing the Gun's job. ;) Thanks for the input and the pic!

Hang in there Seeley, we are covering your six and praying for GOD to take the point on your recovery! I would say that he has answered our request. (Thank you GOD)

You're looking good Marine.

hrscowboy
10-15-05, 08:13 PM
ooorah Gunney you did an outstanding deed today my brother and i salute you Gunney.

Shawn hang in there brother your gonna win this fight for sure all us here are still praying for ya. Semper Fi

Sgtj
10-15-05, 08:47 PM
I second that Guns. Semper Fi Shawn, and again to all the Marines on this post. You all make me so damn proud to call myself a Marine. I have goosbumps, I'm going to go do some pushups again. OooRah!

GySgtRet
10-15-05, 08:58 PM
Just taking care of one of our own. Atleast the best that I can for now.

Semper Fidelis

CHOPPER7199
10-15-05, 09:37 PM
THANKS GUNNY FOR THE PIC. AND INFO. DARN, WHAT A WAY TO GROW A BEARD. JUST LOVE THAT SMILE ON HIM, AND IT SURE LOOKS LIKE THE PRAYERS ARE GETTING ANSWERED. PRAYERS STILL GOING OUT FOR ALL.

Arlene Horton
10-15-05, 10:13 PM
Thank you, Gunny, for visiting & posting the great picture!! That smile is so reassuring too. From all he went through and will go through during rehabilitation he'll need all the encouragement he can get. Since we are all praying for him & his family I'm sure he'll do his best. Semper Fi, LCpl. Seeley and may God Bless you and all your family.

eddief
10-16-05, 03:54 AM
It's good to see that he's in good spirits and getting better by the day.

Semper Fi.

rsta
10-16-05, 07:26 AM
You're a good man, Gunny! Thanks for this posting as I know we all are following Shawn's recovery, and it's really good seeing him smile.

Semper Fi!

Bob

GySgtRet
10-16-05, 08:17 AM
Jerry,

There maybe more that he likes his mom told me male Country Western. That could be quite a few. If you are thinking what I am thinking you can send them through me or directly to the NNMC, whichever you preferr. I will be going backup.

Semper Fidelis

GySgtRet
10-16-05, 08:54 AM
You da Man Jerry.

Semper Fidelis

CAS3
10-16-05, 08:57 AM
Gunny,
You have done something truly admirable and MARINE -like!!

If you need reinforcements, I will be in Quantico in the beginning of November. I just came back last weekend via the hell we call the beltway.

Thank you Gunny for all you do.
Colleen

marinemom
10-16-05, 09:55 AM
Good news, Gunny - I am headed up to see Shawn today for a bit - bringing him a Toby Keith CD and a small vial of sand from Iwo Jima that tigger got on a side trip from a float.

Like the gunny, I am ready to tote anything you guys may want to send him...

May still have to try and smuggle in a beer, too...to be drunk when he completes his rehab. I'l let you know how he is today....

thebish
10-16-05, 10:21 AM
Gunny, I am Shawn's uncle and I can't thank you and everyone here enough for all the support you have given Shawn and the rest of the family. I will be heading up to see him and his mom at the end of the month, so your picture was the first time I got to see him since it happened. I got to talk to him briefly on the phone today (he was about to shave of that beard and rather preoccupied about that!) but he said how great it was that you came by. It meant a lot to Robin (his mom) as well. I know that this community is an extension of our family and that Shawn is very well loved by all of you here.

Thank you and God Bless,

Steve Brooks

GySgtRet
10-16-05, 10:38 AM
thebish, and all,

I did not realize the impact that I had on Shawn and his family. Marinemom please let me know how it goes. CAS about the time you are planning on going is when I planning on going backup there, but it has to be on the weekend, it actually better to go then anyway since parking is at a premium, and traffic is slightly better then to.

thebish,

A personal note to you. I had a feeling that someone along the community needed to see for themselves how Shawn was doing. It is just a token to all of the family and now worldwide friends that this has begun to impact. I did it as I have said before just to tell him thank you.

Semper Fidelis

yellowwing
10-16-05, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the update, Gunny! That youngster we knew since 10th grade now has the Hard Corps look. ooo-rahh

marinemom
10-16-05, 03:06 PM
Well folks, I am back from seeing Shawn - cleanly shaved, hair in a high and tight and with pupils in his eyes the size of dinner plates. He told me that the drugs were reeeeallllllyyy good.

He was surprised that I was there - but then he told me that he surprised when Gunyy came up yesterday. Surprises are sometimes good, Shawn.

He is on what is known as an "air bed" - no contact with a hard mattress for his legs and wounds. Plugged in to machinery - got IVs running. But, his smile is great and big and bright.

When I asked if he needed anything, he said "No, mom, they are taking real good care of me and Amanda is here evry day and takes care of me, too."

Three cheers for Amanda!

I gave him a couple of CDs - Waylon Jennings, Toby and I threw in a Meatloaf, so the kid can appreciate good rock (from my generation), and one by a guy named Chris Rea. He is a Brit and the Royal Marines really like him. So, he can experiment with his music. I told him to put Waylon on and blast the nurses and corpsmen - he just grinned.

When I gave him the vial of sand from Iwo - which I told was a moto gift - he just looked at me - and the vial was in his left hand and he never put it down while I was there. He just kept saying "Sand from Iwo Jima", so I guess we can say that it was hit.

He goes into surgery tomorrow to have more clean out work done on his leg - he said he will be getting more of that. But he is in a great mood and ready to have done whatever is necessary and will work on anything to get out of the hospital.

I have to tell you guys that I almost lost it when I left - he called me back - lifted that right hand (without a thumb and a ton of bandages on it) to his forehead and said "Marinemom - Semper Fi" - I answered him with an Ooo-rah... and left the room before I got misty.

Where do we get these young men? Shawn Seeley, you are amazing!

GySgtRet
10-16-05, 03:37 PM
marinemom,

Now that you have met Shawn. I don't know where we get these young men from??? I guess ther are from moms like you...??? I am glad that you had the same or it looks like better results with a hand salute...!!! Well, have a wonderful evening I know that you will be thinking of whatelse to do as I am.

Hand Salute ma'am

Amanda
10-16-05, 06:55 PM
Marinemom, once again I missed the visitors... If anyone else visits him, i want to meet you! :) Marinemom, I went in his room about a half hour after you left and he was still holding the sand from Iwo Jima. He showed everyone who came in his room. He really enjoys the visits. Today they put him on semi solid foods, God is good, God is good!

marinemom
10-16-05, 07:00 PM
Sorry that I missed you, too, Amanda - and I am glad that my little "moto" vial is doing some good - I'll try to get up next weekend - tote along a few more things he may like.

Glad to hear he is getting a better diet - I did offer to sneak in a Big Mac or a pizza - and he just grinned at me.....he do not know very well - I just may do it.

GySgtRet
10-16-05, 08:29 PM
Amanda,

Gret news compaired to my visit. Although he kknows that he has a long raod to hoe, he is making excellent progress. One of these days me you and marinemom may meet, I hope.

God Bless you all...!!!

JAMarine
10-16-05, 08:32 PM
I'm extremely proud of all the "Leatherneck" Family. For all who have joined in prayer and tribute to this Young Man and to those who have taken time out of their lives to travel and visit Shawn.

Like G. Shaffer stated, this has always been the vision.

Marines helping Marines.

Shawn, we are all very Proud of you. Stay the course Marine.

Semper Fidelis Shawn.

rich

ringoffire
10-17-05, 09:43 AM
Marinemom,
It's great of you to visit Shawn. I just mailed a bunch of Get Well cards and CDs. (I had a friend make me copies of some that I had). Tim McGraw, Tobie Keith, Gretchen Wilson & a country song mix.
Amanda-there's a card for you, too.

rb1651
10-17-05, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the pic, Gunny. Sgtj, I couldn't agree with you more. Seeing all the Marines banding together to bring and recovery to Shawn makes me proud also.

Hang in there Shawn. We'll be here as long as you need us.

CAS3
10-17-05, 10:16 AM
MARINEMOM,

THANK YOU

What a pleasure it is to know that Jerry's idea of a bunch of Marines getting together on the web would amount to an East coast outpouring of support for one of our own.

captken
10-19-05, 08:50 AM
Hope you folks will allow an old squid to jump in. I work (using the term loosely, of course) with GySgtRet. He told me about Shawn and introduced me to this website.

He also told me about the Doc that was with Shawn and the others. Does anyone know how he's doing and who I should contact to find out about and/or visit him?

I can't begin to tell you how good it made me feel to know that not only are there people like Shawn and Amanda but you others who never, ever leave a fellow Marine behind. A person can be left behind in a lot of different ways. One of the worst is to be alone in a hospital. For all the hell that Shawn has experienced he's still a very lucky person. He has you Marines watching out for him. Semper fi!

GySgtRet
10-19-05, 08:59 AM
captken,

Thank you very much for your remarks on the subject. Amanda and Seeley's mom are on here regularly and also call in details to their families in Covington Washington. So there maybe information via other family members from the family making postings here.

I would like to see the look on Seeley's face when the CMC walks in today.

Semper Fidelis

marinemom
10-19-05, 09:20 AM
captken,

you can call the main number at Bethesda - 301-295-4611 - and ask to be transferred to the Navy Casualty Unit - they will have the information on Randall, i.e. status, location etc.

You're right - the corpsmen need to be remembered, too. Very special people

Sgted
10-19-05, 09:34 AM
Having computer then server problems for the past couple of weeks I find myself out of the loop concerning L/Cpl Seeley.
Before my computer crapped out I knew of this incident.

I'd like to know his prognosis.

Will he be returning to the sandbox ?.

Is there an address to send a card to Shawn ?.

Thank you.

Semper Fi,
Ed.

GySgtRet
10-19-05, 11:11 AM
Sgted,

Sorry to hear about your computer problems. Nobody knows for sure as far as I know if he will be returning. Amanda has furnished his address.

LCpl Shawn Seeley
Marine Casualty Services Branch
8901 Wisconsin Ave
Bethesda, MD 20889

Anything at all is much appreciated.

Semper Fidelis

ringoffire
10-19-05, 12:47 PM
I called that number Marinemom posted. They couldn't find anyone with the name Randell. Might need more info, maybe someone else will have better luck.

Sgted
10-19-05, 01:12 PM
Thank you for Shawn's address.

As I surf through this thread my heart is filled with a warmth of love for a fellow man and a Marine who selflessly put himself in harms way for all of us. But that warmth is extended to this Marine Corps community in it's support and good will towards one of our own.

It's does this Marine's heart real good.

Bless you all.

Semper Fi

yellowwing
10-19-05, 01:30 PM
Amen to that, Sgted! Semper Fidelis

GySgtRet
10-19-05, 01:39 PM
Sgted,

All I wanted to do was say thank you when I went up to see him last Saturday. There never was a TEAM with I in it. It is now all of us.

Semper Fidelis

thebish
10-19-05, 01:44 PM
The Corpsman name is Nathaniel Randell Leoncio. I don't have any other personal info. Robin (Shawn's mom) said that they hope to move him out of ICU today or tomorrow. His stomach will have to remain open for a year.

Steve Brooks (Shawn's Uncle)

ringoffire
10-19-05, 02:11 PM
Thank you bish, and Marinemom. Here is an address for the corpsmen.

Leoncion, Nathaniel R.
ICU
8901 Wisconsin Ave.
Bethesda, MD 20889

The person I spoke with did not give me a rank for him. He did say that if he is moved from ICU, anything that is mailed will be forwarded.

rb1651
10-19-05, 02:27 PM
Thanks everyone for the address.

Cards, letters and prayers on the way. Thanks Devil Doc for being there when you were needed. Now let us help you.

Semper Fi.

captken
10-21-05, 10:37 AM
I just called the floor that the Doc is on. He can have visitors between 1000 and 2000. I'll be up there tomorrow and plan to stop by. Also would like to see Shawn but don't want to get in the way. I know they both need lots of rest. BTW FYI Doc is on 5W.

GySgtRet
10-21-05, 11:33 AM
captken,

Thank for the gouge. Tell him from and old marine I said getwell and that I am going to try to see him on the 5th of Nov (Sat). Glad to hear that he is out of the ICU..

Amanda
10-21-05, 11:40 AM
yeah, Randell is doing much better, he is on the same floor as shawn and is responding very well. Awesome!

rb1651
10-21-05, 11:45 AM
Good to hear that news Amanda concerning both men.

captken, let that Devil Doc know that he has our support and prayers. Keep us posted....

captken
10-21-05, 04:01 PM
Roger that!

captken
10-22-05, 04:44 PM
Got up to Bethesda today. Ya know...in my 36 years in uniform I've been in the presence of some pretty important people. But I'll tell you I've never been in the presense of greatness like I was today. Those kids (they are SO young!!) and the great ladies that stand at their side are the greatest people I've ever had the honor to meet.

The two heros are across the hall from each other. I visited Shawn first. He was pretty much out of it. I'm pretty sure he didn't see or hear me come in. Amanda was there and I got to talk to her for a few minutes.

Shawn, m' man...ya done good!! What a lovely, mature young lady! Then again, I guess you knew that.

Next I went over to Randall's room and met his girlfriend. I didn't get her name. OK...OK so I don't do so good around beautiful women!!

Randall was zonked. He actually looked better than I imagined he would. His color seemed pretty good. His girlfriend said they hope to get a skin graft over his stomach wound. I didn't push too hard for more info. She was pretty soft spoken and quiet. I did find out that they are both from San Diego. As I was getting ready to leave she thanked me for coming and asked me to please come back. I've had some pretty heavy duty op orders in my career but none that will be followed more closely than that one. I hope to be back up in the next week or so.

Amanda will be going home for a couple of weeks. Have a save trip and try to relax! Hopefully he'll be moving about some when you return.

If you could get me Randall's girlfriend's name I would greatly appreciate it. Also, does he go by Randell or Nathanial or what? If you or someone who has access to this web site could gather some intel we'd all be grateful. Those of us who live in this area would appreciate some suggestions as to what we could/should do. That you are in our prayers is a given.

By the way I got the name of the Navy Chief who is responsible for patient relations. He'll be in on Monday. I'll give him a call and find out what he recommends we do.

I'm tempted to close by saying "God bless America" but then I think of those four kids that I saw today and I realize that He already has!

GySgtRet
10-22-05, 05:32 PM
captken,

Thanks for thr update I know that it was very difficult to do. From what I get is he goes by Randell. Amanda, take care hope to see you one of these days when you return. Try to relax some when you get back home. Shawn is being taken care of.

ringoffire
10-22-05, 06:42 PM
Thank you so much for the update. I also think he goes by Randell, that's the only name we had for awhile.

CHOPPER7199
10-22-05, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the update Capt. Glad to hear they are doing good.

mrbsox
10-23-05, 10:55 AM
I'm tempted to close by saying "God bless America" but then I think of those four kids that I saw today and I realize that He already has!

Well said, SIR !!

Have never thought of it like that, but will definantly remember, that perhaps his IS Blessing our great Nation once again.
We have only to remember that we are raising the generation he intends toi do it with.

Thank you for the trip to our brothers (and sisters), and the word.

Fair seas Captian.
Semper Fidelis

GySgtRet
10-25-05, 08:57 PM
A gentleman by the name of thebish, Steven Brooks emailed the pictures of Shawn, The Commandant, Robin Shawn's mom, Judy Shawn's grandmother, and of course Amanda. Witout any further ado and barring any technical problems here is Shawn with Purple Heart. Shawn with the Commadant of the Marine Corps and, the entire group at Shawn's (19 October 2005) bedside...!!! Sorry for the small size the restrictions on the file make them small.

Semper Fidelis
:evilgrin:

greensideout
10-25-05, 09:09 PM
For viewing the above pics---click on them to enlarge.
Thanks Gunny!

GySgtRet
10-25-05, 09:18 PM
greensideout,

10-4.

UR Welcome. Under the surcomstaneces he doesn't look too bad.

Semper Fidelis

CHOPPER7199
10-25-05, 09:33 PM
Oorah, Thanks Gunny, Been Waiting For A Pic. Shawn Looks Like He Is Sure Getting Better. The Prayers Are Still Going Out For All Our Troops.

GySgtRet
10-25-05, 09:59 PM
Chopper7199,

I will be returning to Bethesda on the 5th of November. I will try to get more pics if he wants me to take them. All prayers are focused on all the troops in this action from me.

Semper Fidelis

hrscowboy
10-25-05, 10:02 PM
Man shawns in for a surprise when gunny gets there on Nov 5 I cant wait to see the pics...

GySgtRet
10-25-05, 10:04 PM
hrscowboy,

I can't wait either. But I will have too dang it...!!!

Semper Fidelis

GySgtRet
10-26-05, 06:57 AM
thebish, Steve Brooks has emailed Shawn's progress for us. Steven Bish is Shawn's uncle. Steve. Thank you for all of the updates. The email goes as follows:

Ed, Here is the latest on Shawn. Please feel free to post this or any other information I pass along on Leatherneck.com. I will leave it to your discretion. Thanks for posting the pictures of Shawn.

</PRE>

With Thanks,

</PRE>

Steve

</PRE>

Updated 10/25/05 9:00 PM PST

</PRE>

Here is the latest from Robin: Shawn is scheduled for surgery on his right hand tomorrow around 12:30 EST. He has regained some of his appetite, so the doctor's are leaving the feeding tube out for now. He did some therapy on both of his hands today and was able to move all the fingers in the left hand except the ring finger and the pinkie. The therapist said that he has damage to the urnal nerve (the one that goes crazy when you hit your funny bone), but it is unclear whether this is something temporary or long-term.

</PRE>
They are not sure as yet how extensive the damage is and will have to have an MRI on the hand to figure that out. The therapist also worked on Shawn's right hand and forced his fingers to bend and then straighten out. Robin said that he was rapidly pressing his pain button throughout the therapy on the right hand. By himself, Robin says that he is moving the fingers on the right hand about 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch. He is moving his legs very well and can even sit up on his own, which is great considering the damage to his pelvis and sacral area. He had no nightmares last night, so that makes two nights in a row. Please remember Shawn in your prayers when he goes into surgery tomorrow. It really takes a lot out of him. Hopefully I will here from either Robin or Mom once he gets out of surgery to let you all know.

</PRE>

God Bless,

</PRE>

Steve

</PRE>
Updated 10/24/05 7:40PM PST

</PRE>

I just got off the phone with Robin and Shawn had a pretty good day. He was able to do 35 minutes of physical therapy, but it pretty much wore him out. The good news is there were no nightmares last night!! The plastic surgeon did not come by today, so hopefully tomorrow. If Shawn's hand has progressed enough they will be doing plastic surgery on the right hand later in the week. They will be taking a skin graft from Shawn's groin to rebuild the webbing between his ring finger and pinkie. Robin and Mom are rather beat and the days will get a little longer now that Shawn's girlfriend, Mandy has headed back home. Robin just got the laptop that I sent her and sent me the attached pictures of Shawn receiving him Purple Heart from the Commandant of the Marine Corps. Some of you have asked about the Lieutenant from Shawn's unit. The Lt's name is Matthew Hendricks. He was never in ICU but has extensive shrapnel wounds. I will let you all know more on him and Randell when I have more information. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

</PRE>

God Bless, Steve

</PRE><O:p</O:p

ringoffire
10-26-05, 07:27 AM
Thank you for the update & pictures. Good to hear he is getting his appetite back. Will keep Shawn in our prayers as he goes into surgery. And prayers going out to the rest of Shawns unit.

rb1651
10-26-05, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the update. The pictures are great!!! Will continue to send prayers to Shawn and all of the others that are there with him, and the ones who continue with the mission.

captken
10-26-05, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the update! I'll try to get up there tomorrow evening.

mrbsox
10-26-05, 12:54 PM
Prayers are still forthcoming for all.

Look forward to this thread everyday. Thanks for keeping the updates flowing.

Hang in there Shawn. It'll be a long road, but no ones head can be held higher than yours when it's done.

DEVIL DOG

airframesguru
10-26-05, 02:02 PM
Got to give a quick hello to the devil dog. Sounds like he was on his way to surgery. Hope all goes well for him.

Semper Fi, and thanks Bro!

Mike W

Nagalfar
10-26-05, 03:47 PM
Hang tough Shawn, your in our prayers all the time..

Semper Fi Brother..

GySgtRet
10-26-05, 08:09 PM
thebish, Steve Brooks Shawn's uncle has sent an update on Shawn's condition:

Ed, Here is the latest news. We really appreciate you and all the members
of the leatherneck community.
Thanks, Steve.

Updated 10/26/2005 5:22 PM PST
Mom called and Shawn is out of surgery. (it was delayed for a few
hours) The doctors said that the surgery went well. The place a sponge
in between the ring finger and the pinkie that will act as a spacer
until the surgically remove it on Monday. During that procedure, they
will also be removing the stitches in his left arm. While he was under
the anesthesia they gave him a thorough cleaning from head to toe. Mom
says that hopefully he will smell better! No nightmares last night,
but he did have some problems with his gallbladder. They elevated the
drain on his gallbladder to keep it from draining. That way they can
see how he responds and know if he needs to keep the drain in place.
After a few hours Shawn was having a lot of discomfort, so the drain
will still be there for now. Thank you for you continued prayers for
Shawn and our family. If I talk to Robin tonght, I will try to get an
update on Corpsman Randell.
God Bless you all,
Steve

It looks that there is some progress with a few bumps. Hang in there Shawn we are all still praying for you and everyone else.

Semper Fidelis

GySgtRet
10-27-05, 08:22 PM
Here is today's update for Shawn, the Lt, and Doc's conditions as best (Robin) Shawn's mom could get for us today:

Updated 10/27/05 4:43pm
A just got this email from Robin and wanted to pass it along:

Hi all. Today has been a day of ups and downs. Shawn was having a great deal of pain in his right hand where they did surgery yesterday.
After unsuccessfully dealing with his night-time nurse for 3 hours, we were able to finally get the day shift nurse to have the doctor visit him and give him some additional meds for his hand. Once he got the pain under control, he has been able to maintain a tolerable level of pain. He is doing great with his physical therapy and was even able to hang his legs over the side of the bed! He is hoping he will get the okay to get in a wheelchair soon.
A change if scenery would be nice! He was blessed by another visit by Lt. Hendricks this afternoon and the two of them were able to visit for
About 10 minutes until the Physical Therapist said the Lt. needed to get moving he was standing with the assistance of his walker for this whole (visit.)

Randall was sitting in a chair and really wants to see Shawn & the Lt. but he has a respiratory infection and we don’t want the other two to get it so they have been communicating via phone calls for now.

The occupational therapist came by today and made a special splint for
Shawn that will allow him to straighten his ring and pinkie finger on the lt hand which he had been unable to do due to the ulnar nerve damage. Later one of the ortho docs came in to check out his lt. elbow and shoulder. After exam, she felt that a piece of shrapnel has probably severed the nerve. They will be doing a nerve conductive test toward the end of next week. If it is severed they will attempt to reattach both ends of the nerve. If the ends of the nerves are too damaged, they can take a nerve from Shawn’s calf and use that. Shawn has a lot of atrophy in the muscles of his hand already and she said regardless of whether the nerve is damaged or severed, he will never get his hand back to where it was before.
We know first hand that God can perform miracles but it was still hard to hear. They have reviewed the xrays of Shawn’s lt. shoulder and his
shoulder has started to grow additional bone due to the trauma. They are going to start exercising his shoulder in hopes of slowing this but he may have to have surgery to remove some of the bone. They aren’t sure about whether or not he has a torn rotator cuff but treatment of that would be secondary to fixing the other problem anyway.

Sorry to keep going on and on but for a day where nothing was scheduled, it sure has been a busy day. Thank you all for your continued support and prayers. They mean more that you could ever know.

Love,

Robin

yellowwing
10-27-05, 09:15 PM
Thanks for relaying our thoughts to our Brother. Prayers are still going strong!

Semper Fidelis

mrbsox
10-27-05, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the update MOM....
can we call you Mom ??

I mean, after all... that's my brother your taking care of.

You keep the news coming, even if it is a boring day. The prayers and praise continue, daily. :marine:

hrscowboy
10-27-05, 11:52 PM
Well i can tell you this I dont think Robin will have a problem with any Marine calling her Mom or calling shawns father dad. They are family of the Greatest bunch of serviceman in the world. And i can tell you this if any of you ladies and gentlemen was too ever meet my mother you can bet she will tell you all to call her Mom in heartbeat...

rb1651
10-28-05, 11:37 AM
Thanks so much for the update, Mom. ( I agree mrbsox)

My family and I will keep the prayers coming for Shawn, the Lt., and Randall. As you said, God does listen.

Keep the faith, keep strong, and everything will fall into place.

captken
10-28-05, 02:19 PM
I briefly visited all three of our &quot;sons&quot; last night; Shawn, Randall, and 1LT Hendricks. Met Shawn's grandma, a super nice lady. From my uneducated observation Shawn looked pretty good for having...

marinemom
10-28-05, 05:05 PM
Excellent thought about the staff - all that I have seen are comapssionate and thoroughly professional. (even if some of those corpsmen look like they should be in middl0l school) Cookies would be welcome I guess.

I just received a telephone call from Mr. Irvin Axlerod, head of the Northern Virginia Amputee Coalition - and a combat amputee from the Korean War. Mr. Axlerod is also a peer counselor for amputees at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

Anyway, he spent about 2 hours with Randell's family and with Randell - he and Randell compared injury areas, lol - and he gave them an amazing amout of information and brochures on amputationa, after-effects and also various support groups around the country. He has already lined Randell up with one in San Diego. He then visited all the other amputees who areon the same surgical floor and Randell and Shawn ( who was sleeping rather heavily, so Mr. Axlerod will be back to see him), but he did get to speak with Shawn's mom and told her she looked too young to have a 19-year old son......

Mr. Axlerod has been asked to help set up a peer counseling group at Bethesda, which he will do. He told me that he will tell "the folks at Walter Reed I can't be there. We have neglected our Marines and corpsmen." - So, he will bring more visits to Randell, to the other amputees and a lot of folks to visit or to send cards.

hrscowboy
10-28-05, 05:16 PM
Outstanding sir, orrahhhhhhhhhhh Semper Fi and Thank You..

GySgtRet
10-28-05, 05:23 PM
marinemom,

How do you do it...??? I read up on Mr Axerod. The man is 72 years old and quite an expert. He has appeared before congress and has been in the presents of Lady Di and Queen Noor of Jordan. I think it was called Landmine Survivors Network. They are doing a lot of work for amputees, and with Mr Axelrod's help the Marines and Corpsman at Bethesda will now have a chance to be councelled. Good job ma'am.

Thank you for them, that they may be healed...!!!

GySgtRet
10-29-05, 08:04 AM
Steve Brooks, has given the updte to use in this email Evedentaly Steve is with Shawn at Bethesda now. I know he mentioned being there to give his family a break once in a while. We continue to pray for Shawn and all of the others. Shawn hang in there.. We are all glad to see that you have made progress...

Gunny,
You should have seen Shawn's face when he saw all the threads and posts on his behalf on Leatherneck.com. Thank you again for all the support, prayerful and otherwise, that you have given all of us.

God Bless, Steve

updated 10/28/05 7:54pm PST
Dear Friends,
I am sitting here next to Shawn as he tries to get some sleep. It is
so wonderful to see him!! He is eating much better and I can't believe
>how well he is moving his legs. He was able to swing his legs over the
side of the bed entirely by himself today and is hoping to try and get
in a wheelchair tomorrow! He seems in very good spirits and is amazed
at all the love and support all of you have shown him through your
letters, visits and prayers. His face lit up when I brought out my
laptop (he is a serious computer junkie) and he even jumped on a chat
room (typing with one finger) to the utter amazement of a few of his
online buddies! The other huge highlight of the day was that Corpsman
Randell was able to come by Shawn's room via wheelchair and visit.
Randell is suffering from a respiratory infection so both young men had
to have masks on, but the masks could not hide the smiles on each of
their faces as they saw each other for the first time since the
explosion. I should have a picture of both of them tomorrow. Robin,
Mom and Shawn have all mentioned how blessed they feel to be showered
by all the support and prayers that you continue to give our family.
If I sound like a broken record mentioning our thanks, it is simply
because there is no way we could ever say it enough. I'll have more for all of you tomorrow and maybe so words from Shawn himself.

Love, Steve

rb1651
10-29-05, 08:25 AM
A big orahhh to all of you fine people for who are out there and able to see our "sons" for keeping the rest of us posted. Great suggestion about the cards and letters for the support staff and groups around the country. I will be sending out a card today to the staff at the hospital.

Shawn, Randell, and Lt., it's great to hear that you are getting better. It sounds like all of you have such wonderful families supporting you on your road to recovery. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and them.

God Bless, Get Well, and SEMPER FI!!!

Amanda
10-29-05, 06:51 PM
Hey Steve!!! It has been awhile since I have seen you, Wish we could have been there at the same time. I am headed back in two weeks or possibly less. Hopefully we will see eachother again under better circumstances! :) When you go see shawn next give him a great big hug for me, and tell him i am proud of him. I can't wait to see Micheal too, i bet he is getting so big!

Amanda

airframesguru
10-29-05, 08:31 PM
A big orahhh to all of you fine people for who are out there and able to see our "sons" for keeping the rest of us posted. Great suggestion about the cards and letters for the support staff and groups around the country. I will be sending out a card today to the staff at the hospital.

Shawn, Randell, and Lt., it's great to hear that you are getting better. It sounds like all of you have such wonderful families supporting you on your road to recovery. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and them.

God Bless, Get Well, and SEMPER FI!!!

how may Marines do we have (leatherneck and others) at bethesda?

Lemme know... I woud like to stop by... any one bringing USMC bday cake to them.

email me if so... I will buy a cake and take it up there .

S/F,

Mike W

P.S. I am out of town that week.. wold like to do it the week after if possible

pointguy@verizon.net

marinemom
10-29-05, 09:21 PM
I'd call the Marine Casualty Desk at Bethesda first - they may have something on for the Birthday 301-695-6111. I am sure they can hekp

GySgtRet
10-29-05, 10:04 PM
Steve Brooks has given us an update. And a message from yours truely. Keep up the good work Shawn. I am hoping that you get the wheelcahir tomorrow. I could only imagine what your cabin fever is like.

Semper Fidelis,
GySgtRet

Updated 10/29/05 6:44 pm PST
Hello dear friends, I am here with Shawn and he would like to say a
few words to all of you. He'll talk and I'll type...
Here's Shawn:

"I just want to say hi to everybody. I am doing okay and I am getting
better every day. I can't wait to get into a wheelchair and get out of
my room. Being in bed for almost four weeks gets on your nerves and
drives you crazy. Thank you for all your support and prayers. I really appreciate it. Love LCPL Shawn Seeley."

Shawn slept a lot today and was not able to get into the wheelchair
because the one he needed was already in use once he woke up. He had
some pain with his gallbladder today, but is doing better now. He is the first one on the list for the wheelchair tomorrow, so he is excited about that. I will let you all know how it goes tomorrow. Thank you for all your prayers and support.

Love,
Steve

captken
10-30-05, 09:26 PM
Marinemom, I talked to the Navy Chief who is in charge of Marine patient relations (whatever they call it). He wasn't too keen on strangers going up to the Surgury floor unless they were VIPs. As you...

GySgtRet
10-31-05, 06:07 AM
Steve Brooks has provivded and update and some pictures for the Marines here on Leatherneck. Thank you Steve for feeding out appitite for knowledge. GySgtRet.

Updated 10/30/05 8:15pm PST]Before I update you on Shawn today, let me first clarify one thing from
the last email. The physical therapist felt that Shawn needed a
special wheelchair that could recline for his first time out of bed. There is not a shortage of wheelchairs at Bethesda Naval. Sorry for the confusion.
Shawn had a great day today! He was able to brush his teeth by himself
with his left hand today and also feed himself. It was great to see
him finally do some things that we all take for granted. Their was
definately a look of pride and satisfaction on his face after he accomplished both of those tasks today. He was also able to finally get out of bed!!!! They used a special crane lift to lift him out and set him in the wheelchair. hawn's first priority was to return the visits he had received from Lt.
]Hendricks and Corpsman Randel. They were all excited to spend time
visiting with each other. Shawn was in the chair for about 3 hours and
was off his pain meds the entire time! Attached are pictures of Shawn
in the lift, Shawn and Randell and Shawn and Lt. Hendricks. While he
was in visiting with Lt. Hendircks, he even got to talk on the phone with his CO in. The CO passed on Shawn's phone number at Iraq Bethesdato the rest of his unit, so he is looking forward to calls from his buddies.
It was a real morale boost for all of us to see him out of bed for the
first time. We realize that he has a long way to go, but this was a
significant step. Shawn will be in surgery tomorrow to remove the
spacer in his right hand and the stitches in his left arm. Thank you
all for your continued support and prayers. We love you all.
God Bless, Steve

Updated 10/29/05 6:44 pm PSTHello dear friends, I am here with Shawn and he would like to say a few words to all of you.
He'll talk and I'll type... Here's Shawn:
I just want to say hi tro everybody. I am doing okay and I am getting better every day. I can't wait to get into a wheelchair and
get out of my room. Being in bed for almost four weeks gets on your
nerves and drives you crazy. Thank you for all your support and
prayers. I really appreciate it. Love LCPL Shawn Seeley."

Shawn slept a lot today and was not able to get into the wheelchair
because the one he needed was already in use once he woke up. He had
some pain with his gallbladder today, but is doing better now. He is the first one on the list for the wheelchair tomorrow, so he is excited about that.I will let you all know how it goes tomorrow. Thank you for all yourprayers and support
Love, Steve
updated 10/28/05 7:54pm PSTDear Friends.I am sitting here next to Shawn as he tries to get some sleep. It is
so wonderful to see him!! He is eating much better and I can't
believe how well he is moving his legs. He was able to swing his
legs over the side of the bed entirely by himself today and is hoping
to try and get in a wheelchair tomorrow! He seems in very good
spirits and is amazed at all the love and support all of you have shown him through your letters, visits and prayers. His face lit upwhen I brought out my laptop (he is a serious computer junkie) and he even jumped on a chat room (typing with one finger) to the utter amazement of a few of his online buddies! The other huge highlight of the day was that Corpsman Randell was able to come by Shawn's room via wheelchair and visit. Randell is suffering from a respiratory infection so both young men had to have masks on, but the masks could not hide the smiles on each of their faces as they saw each other for the first time since the explosion. I should have a picture of both
of them tomorrow. Robin, Mom and Shawn have all mentioned how
blessed they feel to be showered by all the support and prayers that
you continue to give our family. If I sound like a broken record
mentioning our thanks, it is simply because there is no way we could
ever say it enough. I'll have more for all of you tomorrow and maybe so words from Shawn himself.
Love, Steve
pdated 10/27/05 4:43pm
A just got this email from Robin and wanted to pass it along:
Hi all. Today has been a day of ups and downs. Shawn was having a great deal of pain in his right hand where they did surgery yesterday.
After unsuccessfully dealing with his night-time nurse for 3 hours,
we were able to finally get the day shift nurse to have the doctor
visit him and give him some additional meds for his hand. Once he
got the pain under control, he has been able to maintain a tolerable
level of pain. He is doing great with his physical therapy and was
even able to hang his legs over the side of the bed! He is hoping he
will get the okay to get in a wheelchair soon. A change if scenery would be nice! He was blessed by another visit by Lt. Hendricks this afternoon and the two of them were able to visit for about 10 minutes until the Physical Therapist said the Lt. needed to get moving (he was standing with the assistance of his walker for thiswhole visit.) Randall was sitting in a chair and really wants to see Shawn & the Lt. but he has a respiratory infection and we don’t want the other two to get it so they have been communicating via phone calls for now
The occupational therapist came by today and made a special splint for Shawn that will allow him to straighten his ring and pinkie
finger on the lt hand which he had been unable to do due to the
ulnar nerve damage. Later one of the ortho docs came in to check
out his lt. elbow and shoulder. After exam, she felt that a piece
of shrapnel has probably severed the nerve. They will be doing a newnerve conductive test toward the end of next week. If it is severed
they will attempt to reattach both ends of the nerve. If the ends of
the nerves are too damaged, they can take a nerve from Shawn’s calf and use that. Shawn has a lot of atrophy in the muscles of his hand
already and she said regardless of whether the nerve is damaged or
severed, he will never get his hand back to where it was before. We know first hand that God can perform miracles but it was still hard to hear. They have reviewed the xrays of Shawn’s lt. shoulder and
his shoulder has started to grow additional bone due to the trauma.
They are going to start exercising his shoulder in hopes of slowing
this but he may have to have surgery to remove some of the bone.They aren’t sure about whether or not he has a torn rotator cuff but treatment of that would be secondary to fixing the other problem anyway
Sorry to keep going on and on but for a day where nothing was
scheduled, it sure has been a busy day. Thank you all for your continued support and prayers. They mean more that you could ever know.
Love,
Robin

Updated 10/26/2005 5:22 PM PST
Mom called and Shawn is out of surgery. (it was delayed for a few
(hours) The doctors said that the surgery went well. The place a
sponge in between the ring finger and the pinkie that will act as a
spacer until the surgically remove it on Monday. During that
procedure, they will also be removing the stitches in his left arm. While he was under the anesthesia they gave him a thorough cleaning
from head to toe. Mom says that hopefully he will smell better!
No nightmares last night, but he did have some problems with his
gallbladder. They elevated the drain on his gallbladder to keep it
rom draining. That way they can see how he responds and know if
he needs to keep the drain in place. After a few hours Shawn was
having a lot of discomfort, so the drain will still be there for
]now. Thank you for you continued prayers for Shawn and our family.
If I talk to Robin tonght, I will try to get an update on Corpsman Randell.
God Bless you all,
Steve

Updated 10/25/05 9:00 PM PST
Here is the latest from Robin: Shawn is scheduled for surgery on
his right hand tomorrow around 12:30 EST. He has regained some of
his appetite, so the doctor's are leaving the feeding tube out for
now. He did some therapy on both of his hands today and was able
to move all the fingers in the left hand except the ring finger
and the pinkie. The therapist said that he has damage to the
urnal nerve (the one that goes crazy when you hit your funny
bone), but it is unclear whether this is something temporary or
long-term.
They are not sure as yet how extensive the damage is and will have
to have an MRI on the hand to figure that out. The therapist also
worked on Shawn's right hand and forced his fingers to bend and when straighten out.
aid that he was rapidly pressing his pain button throughout the
therapy on the right hand. By himself, Robin says that he is
moving the fingers on the right hand about 1/16th to 1/8th of an
inch. He is moving his legs very well and can even sit up on his
own, which is great considering the damage to his pelvis and
sacral area. He had no nightmares last night, so that makes two nights in a row. Please remember Shawn in your prayers when he goes into surgery tomorrow. It really takes a lot out of him. Hopefully I
will here from either Robin or Mom once he gets out of surgery to
let you all know.

God Bless,]
Steve

Updated 10/24/05 7:40PM PST
I just got off the phone with Robin and Shawn had a pretty good day.
He was able to do 35 minutes of physical therapy, but it pretty much wore him out. The good news is there were no nightmares last night!! The plastic surgeon did not come by today, so hopefully tomorrow. If Shawn's hand has progressed enough they will be doing plastic surgery on the right hand later in the week. They will be taking a skin graft from Shawn's groin to rebuild the webbing between his ring finger and pinkie. Robin and Mom are rather beat and the days will get a little longer now that Shawn's girlfriend, Mandy has headed back home. Robin just got the laptop that I sent her and sent me the attached pictures of Shawn receiving him Purple Heart from the Commandant of the Marine Corps. Some of you have asked about the Lieutenant from Shawn's unit. The Lt's name is Matthew Hendricks. He was never in ICU but has extensive shrapnel wounds. I will let you all know more on him and Randell when I have more information. Thank you all for your
thoughts and prayers.
God Bless,
Steve

GySgtRet
10-31-05, 12:54 PM
Steve Brooks has given us an update on Shawn. Thank you for the updates Steve. How long will his recovery be for the gallbladder?

Updated 10/31/05 11:09am PST

Dear friends, just a quick update before I get on the plane to fly home.
Shawn was having more pain in his gallbladder and so they ran a dye test on him and found out that the drain line from his gallbladder is leaking
internally. So they will be removing his gallbladder while the perform the
other procedures on him this afternoon. Shawn is actually relieved by this because he was in a great deal of pain from it and had been asking them to remove it for the last day or so. The doctor assured the family that the area where the bile was leaking should not affect his liver functions and he should feel much better once it is removed. When I left for the
airport, they did not have a definite time window for his surgery, but I
should be this afternoon. I will be in contact with Robin once I get off
the plane and will let all of you know as soon as I am able. Thank you for
continuing to hold our family in your thoughts and prayers.

God Bless,
Steve

CHOPPER7199
10-31-05, 02:06 PM
Gunny, Thanks,for All The Updates And Pics. Glad To See He Can Get Out Of That Bed And See Things. Shawn And The Rest Looks Like They Are Healing Pretty Good. Them Prayers Are Still Going Out For All.

captken
10-31-05, 02:42 PM
Shawn, congratulation on your gallbladder removal. Remember...only real men can go through life without a gallbladder! And yes, the pain stops once it's out. Least it did for me.

GySgtRet
10-31-05, 03:49 PM
Chopper7199,

Could you imagine the cabin fever...??? He was medivaced on Oct 4th. And has been on his back this ling. I would try to low crawl if possible.

Semper Fidelis

GySgtRet
11-01-05, 06:46 AM
Steve Brooks has updated us on Shawn's condition. Hang in there Shawn we are all still praying for you and all of the others at Bethesda.
Semper Fidelis.

Updated 10/31/05 5:52pm PST
Well, things changed while I was in the air. Shawn did NOT have his gallbladder removed today. Instead they will be running a CT scan on him tonight and see what results that brings. If the bile is pooling inside of him, they will take the gallbladder out right away. If the leak is not severe and the liver is not threatened, then they will play the waiting game and see how he does. Removing the gallbladder cannot be done arthroscopicly, so that would mean abdominal surgery and set Shawn's recovery back about three more weeks. Faced with that alternative, Shawn is okay with waiting another day to see if it is necessary. It is unlikely that we will know the results of the CT scan until tomorrow, but I will let you know as soon as possible. The rest of his procedures went as scheduled and Mom told me that everything went well. While in surgery, the also gave Shawn a cortisone injection in his left shoulder to help with his range of motion. Thank you all again for your love and prayers. I saw first hand this weekend what a blessing it has been for Shawn, Robin and mom and I know firsthand what it has meant to me. You all are awesome!!
God Bless, Steve
Updated 10/31/05 11:09am PST
Dear friends, just a quick update before I get on the plane to fly home.
Shawn was having more pain in his gallbladder and so they ran a dye test on him and found out that the drain line from his gallbladder is leaking internally. So they will be removing his gallbladder while the perform the other procedures on him this afternoon. Shawn is actually relieved by this because he was in a great deal of pain from it and had been asking them to remove it for the last day or so. The doctor assured the family that the area where the bile was leaking should not affect his liver functions and he
should feel much better once it is removed. When I left for the airport, they did not have a definite time window for his surgery, but I should be this afternoon. I will be in contact with Robin once I get off the plane and will let all of you know as soon as I am able. Thank you for continuing
to hold our family in your thoughts and prayers.
God Bless, Steve

captken
11-01-05, 03:57 PM
Lots of ups and downs, Shawn. But hang in there! Keep fightin'!

GySgtRet
11-01-05, 07:05 PM
Steve Brooke has updated Shawn's condition for us and Shawn seems to agree with the accessments. Thatnk you for the updates Steve

Semper Fidelis

Updated 11/1/05 4:14pm PST
I just got of the phone with Shawn and he said he had a good day today.
He was able to get in the wheelchair again today for a couple hours.
The CT scan of his gallbladder looked good, but they are going to do
one more test tomorrow to make sure everything is okay. They will be
inserting a camera down his esophagus and into his stomach. They will
then release some dye and see if there is any leaking or problems as it
flows. If all goes well, they will not remove the gallbladder. Shawn
said he has not had any pain in the gallbladder today and very little
pain overall. e does experience nerve pain in his right heel, but his
regular pain medication seems to be handling everything else. He was
able to feed himself again today, so he is continuing to make progress. hank you all again for all your prayers.

God Bless,
Steve

:banana:

BOOGIEMAN44
11-01-05, 07:11 PM
All This Is Great, Great News, And Who Said Praying Does Not Work??? Man The Power Of Prayer, You Can't Beat It...

GySgtRet
11-02-05, 07:22 PM
Steve Brooks has provided some OUTSTANDING NEWS for all of us. Thank you Steve for the updates. <br />
<br />
Respectfully, <br />
GySgtRet <br />
<br />
<br />
Updated 11/2/05 4:00pm PST <br />
<br />
Happy Lance Corporal Shawn Seeley...

CHOPPER7199
11-03-05, 12:51 AM
Oorah On It All Gunny, Sounds Like Great News All Around. Hmm, Shawn Got Politics In His Future? Seeley Day, Well Next Yr. He'll Have A Beer On It. Ha Ha Prayers Still Out For All.

CHOPPER7199
11-03-05, 12:53 AM
:banana: Oorah On It All Gunny, Sounds Like Great News All Around. Hmm, Shawn Got Politics In His Future? Seeley Day, Well Next Yr. He'll Have A Beer On It. Ha Ha Prayers Still Out For All.:marine:

rb1651
11-03-05, 09:43 AM
GREAT NEWS!!! With Shawn's determination and drive, if politics is in his future, he has my vote!! LOL

Continue getting well Shawn. Prayers continue.

GySgtRet
11-03-05, 03:53 PM
Steve Brooke has provided an article that describes the incident that happened on Oct 4 in Iraq. Thank you Steve for this very interesting update. Were does the U S Navy get these outstanding Corpsment that want to serve with the Marines Corps on the fronlines...???

Semper Fidelis,
GySgtRet

Subject: Details on Corpsman Leoncio
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 12:39:13 -0800

Dear friends, I was sent the following article from Janelle Watts, one
of the marine moms I had the pleasure of meeting while at Bethesda to
see Shawn. Not only does the article details the heroic actions of "Randell"
but it sheds some light on what happened on Oct. 4th:

Corpsman continues to care for Marines after losing leg
Submitted by: 2nd Marine Division
Story by: Computed Name: Cpl. Shane Suzuki
Story Identification #: 20051131937

AR RAMADI, Iraq(Nov. 3, 2005) -- It is unadulterated courage in the
face of horrifying danger and risk. It is being able to perform under
fire while knowing you are probably going to lose a leg. It is taking
care of your Marines when everything is on the line. It is duty,
courage and love all together. It is what Nathaniel Leoncio showed the
Marines of Company L the morning of Oct. 4.

The mission was to patrol the southern part of Ar Ramadi in support of
Operation Bowie, capturing or destroying insurgents and their weapons.
However, when the convoy made its way to the dirt roads and
unincorporated areas that make up the southern part of town, everything changed.

"As soon as we got on the dirt roads, four (Improvised Explosive
Devices) went off about two feet from our vehicles," said Cpl. Jason
Luedke, a Humvee driver with Company L. "Our Humvee ended up in a three-foot crater.
I started pulling Marines out of my vehicle and was trying to find
cover when I saw that the Humvee in front of us had been hit and was
flipped upside down."

Another Marine in the second vehicle, Cpl. Neil Frustaglio, a vehicle
commander for Company L, was one of the first people to rush up to the
flipped vehicle.

"After the blast, I looked forward and actually saw the Humvee
landing," he said. "I was the first person there, and I heard Leo screaming for help."

Leo is Seaman Leoncio, a hospitalman assigned to Company L.

"When I came around to his side, I saw that he was caught under the
Humvee, that his leg was stuck," said Frustaglio. "I grabbed the edge
of the Humvee and lifted it up. I was yelling at him to pull himself
out. He struggled to pull himself out from under the Humvee with only
his arms. When he got out, that ‘s when I saw his leg."

Leoncio had suffered an amputated right leg below the knee, a shattered
right femur and serious internal bleeding. However, before he allowed
himself to be medically evacuated from the scene, Leoncio began
directing the other Marines at the scene on how to perform aid on
himself and the other injured Marines on site, including the fourth
Platoon commander, who suffered serious shrapnel wounds and required
immediate surgical evacuation.

"When I got to Hospitalman Leoncio, he immediately began telling me how
to care for him," said Cpl. Kurtis Bellmont, an infantryman in Company L.
"Before he was even stable, he began asking about the other occupants
of the vehicle and trying to assess their injuries. Before he would let
us move him to the medevac vehicle, we had to tell him that all of the
casualties were receiving medical attention."

The IED completely destroyed the Humvee and resulted in one death,
three urgent surgical casualties and one routine casualty. Despite the
chaos surrounding the attack, Leoncio kept his calm and bearing and
never relented in his duty to his Marines.

"There are no words for what he did," said Frustaglio. "The explosion
was catastrophic, it blew the door off the Humvee and threw it 30-plus meters.
Those doors weigh more then 300 pounds. When I got to (Leoncio) he was
in pain, but he began telling me what to do. He was so calm, he was
injured but he was telling me how and where to put the tourniquet on his leg."

One of the passengers in the vehicle, 1st Lt. Bradley Watson, helped
move Leoncio to the medevac vehicle and provided buddy aid to him while
they were transported to Camp Ramadi for surgical evacuation.

"I helped pull Hospitalman Leoncio into the medevac Humvee and
personally saw him wince in pain as he rolled over, opened his medical
kit and treated (the fourth Platoon commander’s) shrapnel wound," said
Watson. "When he saw that the bleeding had stopped, he gave Cpl.
Bellmont and me instructions on how to best care for him. He was calm,
alert and responsive the entire way to Ramadi Medical. The only thing
he asked for was that someone hold his hand to keep him awake and give him sips of water."

Although his courage and dedication were highlighted during the
horrible events of Oct. 4, the Marines of Company L were not surprised
at "Doc Leo’s" courage under fire and performance through pain.

"Doc Leo was a real good guy, he was always helping Marines with
anything he could," said Luedke. "He was, overall, the nicest guy I’ve
met in the military. He wanted to be here, in Iraq. He said before that
the only reason he joined the Navy was to be a corpsman and serve with
Marines in Iraq."

Leonicio was transported back to Bethesda Naval Hospital in Bethesda,
Maryland where he is currently recovering from his wounds.

GySgtRet
11-04-05, 05:22 AM
Steve Brooke has given us an update on Shawn's condition along with some pictures. This must have been great to get outside...!!! Thank you very much Steve.

Semper Fidelis

:banana: :evilgrin:

Updated 11/03/05 9:23pm PST

I talked to mom earlier today and Shawn had a relaxing day. They
changed the dressing on his right hand and the plastic surgeon feels
that the skin graft looks very good. They also redid the cast on his
right foot which will enable him to move his toes a little more. Shawn
got into the wheelchair twice today, once to take a trip outside and
once to see Randell get his purple heart from the Commandant. The
doctors have all agreed that Shawn's gallbladder is functioning
normally, so they plan on taking the drain out on Tuesday. If all goes
well, the gallbladder will stay in. If the gallbladder does not seal
itself once the drain is removed, then they will be forced to remove
it. Mom said that Shawn was in good spirits today, but is becoming
more concerned about the scars on his face and how they will never
fully go away. Please pray for peace of mind in that regard. It is
easy to say how fortunate Shawn is to be alive, but I am sure that as a 19 year-old, it is hard to always keep that perspective.
Thank you all for your continued support and prayers.

God Bless,
Steve

Osotogary
11-04-05, 06:57 AM
What terrific pictures and words. Thanks a bunch for the updates. All of you do good work.
Gary

captken
11-04-05, 08:24 AM
The article refers to "Seaman Leoncio". You all probably know this but in case you're not sure, that means he is an E-3. E friggin 3!!! And if you saw him you'd think he was too young to be that. I'm honored to have ever worn the same crackerjack uniform that he wears!

TazMatt
11-04-05, 10:12 AM
Hang in there Lcpl Seeley The Good Lord is in control of everything that happens whether it be good or bad and just remember that He isn't finished with you yet. May The Good Lord continue to heal and lead your recovery.Semper Fi Marine Sgt Matt U.S.M.C. 69-75

CHOPPER7199
11-04-05, 10:24 AM
Thanks For The Great Pics And Updates Gunny. I Believe That Young Corpsman Deserves A Little More Than A Purple Heart From What I Have Read On Him. Maybe The Red Tape Is Slow Or They Need A Push On To Get It Done. Just This Old Grunts Opinion.

thebish
11-04-05, 11:21 AM
Chopper7199, I have heard that they have put Randell in for the Bronze Star.

CHOPPER7199
11-04-05, 11:43 AM
The Bish,thanks For The Info. Well Deserved And More. Prayers Still Going Out For All.

rb1651
11-04-05, 12:23 PM
Thanks again for the updates and pix Gunny. Also thanks to thebish. If ever there was one deserving recognition, it's that fine Devil Doc.

Shawn, Doc, and families, keep up the recovery efforts. Prayers at my household will continue for all.

GySgtRet
11-04-05, 12:44 PM
I am in currence with more than a Purple Heart. capken has put it very well. He is a E-3 that did all of this. He was and still is above his pay grade and what his perceived skills are to be. A Bronze Star would be a start for his recognition. He may have diescovered a new way to instruct others on hasty in the field first aid, who knows...??? If the Navy doesn't recognize his actions then maybe the Marine Corps will...!!!

Any of you Marines out in Texas reading any of this...??? DOC LEO will need some help when he gets to Brooke Army Hospital, can anybody assist him...???

Semper Fidelis

GySgtRet
11-04-05, 05:59 PM
Marines. We have another injured Marine inbound to Bethesda. Shawn went to recruit training with him. Steve Brooks provides the details. Our prayers are still flowing and there is always room for one more.

Thank you Steve,

Semper Fidelis

Dear Friends,
I just heard from Tracey Schalk, a marine mom whose son graduted from
boot camp with Shawn. He was injured in Iraq today. Please keep Lcpl
Neil Schalk and his family in your prayers. Here is Tracey's email:

Hi Steve,

I never thought this would happen - I guess none of us do.

We received a phone call at 7:00 a.m. that Neil has been seriously
injured and he is in Balad, Iraq, He will be transported to Germany
before flying to Bethesda MD.

Another IED. We know he lost the pinkie on his right hand and possibly
his left hand. I believe he's in surgery now to save 1/2 of the ring
finger on the right hand. Lots of shrapmil.

They said he will probably fly out of Germany on Monday.

It will be nice to have the opportunity to meet Shawn and to see Robin
again (we met in San Diego before the boys graduated).
Just wish the circumstances were different.

I left a message on Robin's phone at Navy Lodge.

Thank God we'll be sending "updates."

Thanks

Tracey Schalk
VPMM of LCpl Neil Schalk

marinemom
11-04-05, 07:38 PM
Looks like us DC area folks have another visit to make - and Mr Axlerod has already alerted the San Antonio amputee group to go and visit Randell when he gets to Brook Army Medical Center

mrbsox
11-04-05, 08:45 PM
INCOMING !!

Daily :marine:

GySgtRet
11-06-05, 10:54 AM
Steve Brooks has sent an email with the updates of Shawn's condition and other information. I have been trying to attach picture of my visit yesterday but the site states that I have exceeded my limit. I will try and send my narative seperatley from this posting.

Thank you Steve for your updates.

Semper Fidelis

Gunny, Thanks so much for going out to see Shawn today. He said he was really glad you came and was very touched by the coin and the quilt. I look forward to hearing about it from your perspective on Leatherneck.com.
Thanks,
Steve

Dear Friends,
Shawn had a good day today after a rather difficult Friday. Friday the ran
a nerve conductivity test on Shawn's left arm which he said was very
painful. The test confirmed damage to his ulnar nerve, but could not
determine the extent of the damage. Today Shawn began Physical therapy on his right arm (he was previously only working his left). He also had several visitors today including Miss America! Shawn says she doesn't hold a candle to his Mandy though. Mom told me that Corpsman Randell Leocio will be delayed in transferring to Brooke Army Medical Center. Randell seems to be having some difficulty with his amputated leg. I am sorry I don't have more details. Robin missed most of Shawn's visitors today as she went to a meeting of the Marine Moms in the area. It was good for her to get out and she said she had a nice time. Shawn was also visited by two men from the leatherneck.com website that has been so supportive of Shawn ever since he started posting on their site at the age of sixteen. Another surprise visitor was Shawn's high school principal who was in the D.C. area for a conference. Shawn has been so surprised and even overwhelmed at times by all the love and support he has received. From the card and letters to the visits and prayers, he has felt encouraged and supported in ways that I doubt even he could fully explain. Thank you all again for everything you have done and continue to do on behalf of Shawn and all our family.
God Bless,
Steve

GySgtRet
11-06-05, 11:08 AM
I seem to be limited in the attachments to send I have more photos of my visit yesterday.

I brought to friends from work with me. Dave is a retired Army MSgt and Gus a former Navy CPO. I have talked about going back to Bethesda for a couple of weeks now. These guys wern't sure of how to react at going to Bethesda. That wan's any problem at all for them. I presented Shawn with his Quilt made by hrscowboy's mom. It is a queen size quilt and seemed to keep Shawn very warm infact it was 75 degrees yesterday at Bethesda and it got too warm. But not before I got a couple of other pictures with Shawn and Miss America and a wrestler from WWE. Dave presented Sahwn with a commerative proof Marine Corps coin. Dave said it something like this. "In many years from now a coin collector would be able to place a value on this coin. But today if you look inside this coin Shawn you will see that it has value now to you with your heritage and lineage as a United States Marine." Dave was a little bit shacky on his presentation, but I think the reason for that is because of Shawn's positive outlook. Dave and my other firend Gus were in awe of the LCpl and could not believe the positiveness of his condition. When Miss America asked Shawn what happened he told her about his injuries and where it happened and when he concluded. "Other than that I am ok."

More to follow.

Semper Fidelis

GySgtRet
11-06-05, 11:22 AM
continued from the first page:

There is a picture of DOD LEO on the first page on the right hand side. Let me speak about DOC LEO for a moment. Doc is from San Diego and is 24 years old. Prior to joinging the Navy to serve with Marines as a Field Corpsman he had EMS training. We spoke about his injuries and he seemed to take them all in stride. Both he and Shawn have an attitude that it is done and there is nothing they can do about it anyway. I asked Doc if he rememebred anything that happened that day he said no. But he has seen the report from what witnesses say he did. I told him that what he did was outside his pay grade and thanked him. Doc and his parents are very positive about things that have happened and evetually he will be healed. Doc has an open wound on his abdomen,
Tracheotomy, and an ostomy bag. All of this if things go as planned will heal in about 18 months. The tracheotomy will be removed eithre tomorrow or Tuesday in preparation for Doc to be tranported to Brooke Army hosital this week. All in all I was still very surprised of the condition that Shawn and Doc are in both physically and mentally, they are very positive about what is ahead. Shawn told me that after he is evaluated he would like to stay in the Marine Corps, he told me that he has wanted to be a Marine since he was 13, he is now 19 and hasn't lost his desire or motovation to be a Marine. OORAH Shawn you are an inspiration to any new recruits going to one of the depots. Shawn could not hold up the blanket because of ongoing therapy so I just drapped it over him.

Semper Fidelis

yellowwing
11-06-05, 02:03 PM
Oustanding update! The quilt looks great. :thumbup:

"Other than that I am ok."- Got to love that Ole Marine Corps Spirit!

Semper Fi, Shawn!

OLE SARG
11-06-05, 02:12 PM
Two OUTSTANDING young men!!!!!!! Keep those outstanding attitudes!! Also, an outstanding quilt!!

SEMPER FI,

rb1651
11-06-05, 02:50 PM
Two fantastic men that bring a smile to my face and a tear to my eye!! Such great attitudes!!! It makes me realize that when I b****h about having a bad day at work, that I really have nothing to complain about. Shawn and Doc, thanks for giving this old fart a lesson in humility. Keep up the good work, get well, and the thoughts and prayers continue.

hrscowboy, tell your Mom that the quilt is OUTSTANDING!!!

Chief Boats
11-06-05, 03:33 PM
Hey all, new poster here. I am the former CPO that GySgtRet took with him to visit LCpl Seeley.

Ed asked if i wanted to go. Honestly, i was rather worried about it. I didn't know what to say, how to act, or what to do. What it finally boiled down to is this. How could i NOT go?

After hearing the descriptions of the LCpl Seeley and the Doc, I was expecting to see two young men, in dire pain and in dismal spirits. I am excessively happy to report, that is NOT what I found. I found two young men, who dispite their wounds, are ready for action.

If you were blindfolded and just talking to these two remarkable men, you would find it hard to believe that there is anything wrong with them medically. Both the LCpl and the Doc were in great spirits, and you could hear the smiles in their voices.

I believe that they both affected me more than my visit could ever affect them. I am still rather choked up about it.

There were two distinct "high points" to the visit. The first was in LCpl Seeleys room, when Miss America asked what happened. Shawn listed a myriad of medical issues... it seemed to never end. He started from his toes and worked his way up. It seemed like every region of his body was damaged in some way, shape or form. Then he said, and I quote... "Other than that, I am O.K."

Then in Doc's room. We visited with him and his parents for a while. Doc just smiled and beemed confidance the entire time we were with him. The glint in his eyes never once showed that there was any physical problem. His memory of what happened that day is very fuzzy. In fact, he does not remember much of it at all, but what he does remember, he told us. After running through a list of his injuries, he simply stated... "Oh well, what can you do? It happens."

Those two quotes will be with me for a long, long, long time.

Other than that, I am O.k.
Oh well, What can you do? It happens.

I know that both of these young men are more than O.K. The courage they show is an inspiration... I don't have the words to say how much. I doubt anybody does.

GySgtRet
11-06-05, 03:47 PM
Chief Boats,

I am reflecting on yestaerday too. I am still in awe even after my second visit...!!! Two remarable young men indeed...!!! Thank you chief for posting here on Leatherneck.

Semper Fidelis

Seeley
11-06-05, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the visit! I had a great time seeing the three of you again. Next time you visit, you'll get to meet Amanda. She quit her job to be with me until I can come home. What an outstanding woman! As for the Corps, after my 4 years, I'm done. I made a promise and besides, I want to be there for every moment of my future children with her. She really showed me where her priorities are! I absolutely love that woman!

hrscowboy
11-06-05, 06:29 PM
First ladies and gentlemen let me be allowed to say this. Yes this quilt was made for L/cpl seeley by my mother as a gift from her and the members of leatherneck.com. This little thing she done for L/cpl seeley has made her so proud to be able to give something back to Marine that has given so much and has really got her motovatied again. Gunnysgtret went on a mission and completed that mission for her and I thank you very much. L/cpl Seeley stay strong my brother because you have learned that you can infact, Adapt, Improvise, and Overcome.. Semper Fi

mrbsox
11-06-05, 07:50 PM
First ladies and gentlemen let me be allowed to say this. Yes this quilt was made for L/cpl seeley by my mother as a gift from her and the members of leatherneck.com. This little thing she done for L/cpl seeley has made her so proud to be able to give something back to Marine that has given so much and has really got her motovatied again. Gunnysgtret went on a mission and completed that mission for her and I thank you very much. L/cpl Seeley stay strong my brother because you have learned that you can infact, Adapt, Improvise, and Overcome.. Semper Fi

Thank You !!

hrscowboy
11-07-05, 08:17 AM
orahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

CHOPPER7199
11-07-05, 11:44 AM
Wow, Great Pics Again. I Can't Explain How My Feelings Are To All The Posts And Pics. And Support I Have Seen On This Site, Only That These Young Men Are What We Are All About " The Brotherhood" The Spirit They Show, And The Will To Over Come Shows It All. Oorah All. The Prayers Are Still Going Out.

CHOPPER7199
11-07-05, 11:46 AM
:banana: :marine: Wow, Great Pics Again. I Can't Explain How My Feelings Are To All The Posts And Pics. And Support I Have Seen On This Site, Only That These Young Men Are What We Are All About " The Brotherhood" The Spirit They Show, And The Will To Over Come Shows It All. Oorah All. The Prayers Are Still Going Out.

GySgtRet
11-07-05, 01:48 PM
All. I have only been to see Shawn twice and the Doc once. Let me tell you all something. As you can tell by my post it was a great day indeed. The two guys that went with me were very touched and have spoken to me several times today about it and want to go back. I appreciate the remarks about the pictures and information. I read and try to answer all of them. If I leave anybody out I am sorry.

Semper Fidelis

rb1651
11-07-05, 02:50 PM
GySgtRet,

No apologies are necessary. All of us here are very grateful for the efforts that you and the others have made to keep us posted as our Brothers fight the good fight. I respect and commend all of you for what you are doing that the rest of us can't. Thank you!!!!

Shawn, Doc, and families, keep strong and continue to heal. Just know that you are still in my and my family's thoughts and prayers.

God Bless and Semper Fi.

Ron

GySgtRet
11-07-05, 03:16 PM
Steve Brooks has provided an update and comments on Shawn and Doc.

Thank you again Steve.

Updated 11/7/2005 12:25PM PST

I talked to Mom this morning and they are elevating Shawn's gallbladder drain to see how he does without the drain functioning. It that goes well, they will be removing the drain entirely at approximately 11:00PM PST tonight. From there they will monitor Shawn's gallbladder to see if it will seal itself. If it does, then they will leave it in, if not they will remove the gallbladder immediately. We are praying that they will not have to remove the gallbladder, because the surgery will push Shawn's recovery back about three more weeks. I will of course let you know whenever I have more information. I have attached some pictures from Ed Reagle, a Retired Gunnery Sergeant that went to see Shawn this Saturday. Here is how a friend of Ed's described his visit with Shawn and "Doc" Leoncio:
Ed asked if I wanted to go. Honestly, I was rather worried about it. I didn't know what to say, how to act, or what to do. What it finally boiled down to is this. How could I NOT go?
After hearing the descriptions of the LCpl Seeley and the Doc, I was expecting to see two young men, in dire pain and in dismal spirits. I am excessively happy to report, that is NOT what I found. I found two young men, who despite their wounds are ready for action.
If you were blindfolded and just talking to these two remarkable men, you would find it hard to believe that there is anything wrong with them medically. Both the LCpl and the Doc were in great spirits, and you could hear the smiles in their voices.
I believe that they both affected me more than my visit could ever affect them. I am still rather choked up about it.
There were two distinct "high points" to the visit. The first was in LCpl Seeleys room, when Miss America asked what happened. Shawn listed a myriad of medical issues... it seemed to never end. He started from his toes and worked his way up. It seemed like every region of his body was damaged in some way, shape or form. Then he said, and I quote... "Other than that, I am O.K."
Then in Doc's room. We visited with him and his parents for a while. Doc just smiled and beamed confidence the entire time we were with him. The glint in his eyes never once showed that there was any physical problem. His memory of what happened that day is very fuzzy. In fact, he does not remember much of it at all, but what he does remember, he told us. After running through a list of his injuries, he simply stated... "Oh well, what can you do? It happens."
Those two quotes will be with me for a long, long, long time.
Other than that, I am O.k.
Oh well, what can you do? It happens.
I know that both of these young men are more than O.K. The courage they show is an inspiration... I don't have the words to say how much. I doubt anybody does.

GySgtRet
11-07-05, 04:59 PM
Steve Brooks has another update on the Marine that is inbound from Germany. He and Shawn went through recruit training together. I told you about him late lastweek.

Thank you Steve.

Gunny, I forgot to forward this to you earlier. Here is the latest on LCpl Neil Schalk:

Sunday a.m.

Neil called from Germany. He had another surgery on his left hand today. Apparently there was more damage than he was aware of. They actually had to re-attach his fingers on that hand and there is going to be more surgery needed to reconstruct his palm.
I'll tell you what - if there was someone who should win the award for a positive attitude - it would be Neil. He's in good spirits and knows he just has to wait for the future to unfold. He also knows he's very lucky.
Neil's very anxious to talk with his team - they should be able to reach him soon.
He also says the nurses in Germany are hot!
We're convinced prayer works and we're not afraid to ask for more.
Thanks for praying both for Neil and minimal pain, and every other guy and girl still over there. God bless his team!
I'll have an address by Tuesday.
Love,
Tracey
Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - from the bottom of our hearts for all of your prayers and support. I'm so sorry I haven't updated you a little sooner. My phone has been permanently attached to my ear ever since "the" phone call - please forgive me.
I never though I'd be the one receiving "the" phone call. I'd _really really_ have to hate someone to wish that phone call on them. All we were told is that our son was seriously injured and that he had lost a finger. Then we sat and waited. There is a song that talks about families sitting and waiting to hear their loved ones fate. Now I get it - yesterday was the longest day of my life.
Larry and Natalee are doing well. They too, are just relieved with the good news that Neil's alright.
I'm happy to report the good news. We talked with Neil today. He's in Landstuhl, Germany, and expected to fly back to Bethesda, MD, _USA :-) _on Tuesday. They will call us as soon as they know his plans for sure and we'll be on the first plane out of Madison to meet him in Bethesda.
Larry, Natalee, and I are going.
Here's the story as I know it - there are some conflicts in what's being said, but I think this is pretty much right.
Neil's platoon, HRPP, (high risk personnel protection) were on a mission to escort a General and a Commander from Fallujah to Ramadi Thursday morning. Neil was in the turret, (the place on top of the humvee with the weapons) He's the "gunner." They always put the best shot and most observant guy up there. They travel in a team of six humvees.
At 7:30 a.m. their time Friday - 10:30 p.m. our time Thursday, the humvee that Neil was in was struck with an IED (Improvised Explosive
Device) - like a roadside bomb. They had been traveling outside the "wire" (outside Camp Fallujah) for just fifteen minutes. The first vehicle in the convoy saw something in the road and swerved to avoid it. The driver checked his rear-view mirror to see that the 2nd vehicle was also swerving (Neil was in the 2nd vehicle) and he saw nothing but a mushroom of dust.
They immediately called for med-vac and found Neil slumped in the turret. He was med-vaced (excuse my spelling on some of these terms) to a hospital in Balad, Iraq. He had a 3 1/2 hour surgery on his left hand where they repaired nerve damage and a fractured forearm. He can move all his fingers on his left hand. Neil's first words to the Navy Corpsman when he came to - were "Can I still shoot my bow?" That's my boy!
Neil was able to call after the surgery. To receive that call was the most amazing thing in the world. He was very dopey and confused. He had no idea what really happened. All he knew is that he had to get back with his team. He didn't know where he was but he had heard they wanted to send him to Germany. He was very confused. His closing comments were, "Don't worry, I'm good, I can still shoot my bow and wipe my own _ss." Those were reassuring words!
He is having trouble with hearing in one ear. This is quite common after an explosion. They say it's amazing what they can do for these injuries though. We hope for the best.
Sorry if this is kind-of jumbled up - it's hard to keep it all straight.
When the IED hit, it threw shrapnel which directly hit Neil. It pretty much cut his right hand in 1/2. God was there, and Neil's face and neck were protected by his M-4 (rifle) which he was holding. The weapon took the hit, which saved his life.
He lost his right pinkie and through surgery they were able to save 1/2 of his ring finger on his right hand. There will be more reconstructive surgeries to come.
Everyone else in the humvee suffered car-accident type wounds from the explosion. Thank God - again, that there were no more injuries. They had to bring in a crane to move the humvee onto a flatbed.
This is quite a loss for the team. These 16 Marines have trained together 24/7 for the last 9 months. I know Neil thinks of each one as a brother. I believe the true challenge for him will be the separation from his team and the lack of high speed, high energy, emotionally packed lifestyle. This, we will have to deal with.
The team is very angry right now - very angry that the coward who set off the IED didn't have the nerve to show his face. The team is known as the "Untouchables." The best of the best that there is - this not only hurt their pride, as they had to pick up the pieces and drive away, but they lost part of their team.
Neil was able to call today - oh my gosh - he sounded SOOOO much better! He has pain in his hands, but has been spared injury elsewhere. He is anxious to come home, but more concerned about getting back to his unit and being with the guys.
He will be evaluated at Bethesda Naval Hospital and they will perform the necessary surgeries and take care of all wounds there. He will be able to come for convelesing time. The length of his hospital stay will depend on the number and frequency of his surgeries. We will stay with him just as long as he needs us to.
My parents are awesome, they will be here at home and in my office, being G'ma and G'pa to Kodi and the cats. They will also be able to get ahold of us at anytime.
Again, you my friends and family, have been the best. Thank you for offering your help. I wish I could have thought of something for each one of you to do - I don't even know what to do myself.
The Marine Corp has been superb in it's care and communication.
We're proud of Neil and continue to support his mission! I do believe that Neil can do with 3 1/2 fingers what most men can do with 5 - Neil is known as the "Incredible Schalk." They don't call him that for nothing!
I'll keep you updated -
Love,
Larry, Tracey, and Natalee

:(

captken
11-07-05, 06:54 PM
Gunny, I take it from the letter that his folks are coming out, right? If not he will especially need visitors. Let us know.

Hey folks, Gunny is still looking for people near San Antonio to follow up with the kids that are being send down there. If you know someone please don't hesitate to ask them to help. They will thank you for having done it.

marinemom
11-07-05, 07:56 PM
Ken,

Mr Axlerod has already gotten the news to the amputee chapter in San Antonio - no problem there

captken
11-08-05, 10:50 AM
Terrific! Thanks for getting Mr. Axlerod involved on the USN/USMC side.

thebish
11-08-05, 04:13 PM
Dear Friends, I have good news to report to you. Shawn's gallblader is functioning normally and there is no pain or leakage. They are taking him off is IV pain medication today and he is doing well so far. But now for the Fantastic news. Shawn will be HOME by Thanksgiving!!! That's right, home, not Brooke Army medical center. I don't have alot of details yet, but if all goes well during his final procedure on the 16th, Shawn will be medivaced back to Seattle and will begin his convalescence in his own home a day or two after his surgery. Once he is recovered enough to begin his rehabilitation, he will begin outpatient care at either the Seattle VA or Madagan Army hospital at Ft. Lewis. Robin was so excited to think about going home to see Charles and Ryan. I'll let you all know more when I have more details. :banana:
God Bless,
Steve

GySgtRet
11-08-05, 04:14 PM
Steve Brooks has given us an update on Shawn's condition. I think that you will all be pleased with this update. I personnaly would like to see Shawn stay but that is just the Gunny in me talking. Congratulations LCpl Seeley and good luck. I will try to get up there before you leave, but hopefully you will be able to let me know so I can say fairwell to you and Amanda and the rest of your family.

Again Steve thank you very much for the update. Do you happen to know when LCpl Schalk will be arriving?

Ed, Looks like Saturday maybe the last time you get to visit Shawn at NNMC.
Thanks,
Steve

Dear Friends,

I have good news to report to you. Shawn's gallblader is
functioning normally and there is no pain or leakage. They are taking
him off is IV pain medication today and he is doing well so far. But
now for the Fantastic news. Shawn will be HOME by Thanksgiving!!!
That's right, home, not Brooke Army medical center. I don't have alot
of details yet, but if all goes well during his final procedure on the
16th, Shawn will be medivaced back to Seattle and will begin his
convalescence in his own home a day or two after his surgery. Once he
is recovered enough to begin his rehabilitation, he will begin
outpatient care at either the Seattle VA or Madagan Army hospital at
Ft. Lewis. Robin was so excited to think about going home to see
Charles and Ryan. I'll let you all know more when I have more details.
God Bless,
Steve

:banana: :D :)

thebish
11-08-05, 04:29 PM
Gunny, I believe that LCpl Schalk will arrive today.

rsta
11-08-05, 05:29 PM
Great news for you, Shawn. There's no place like home.

Bob

garryh123
11-08-05, 06:26 PM
Outstanding news!

sgt.r.n.davis
11-08-05, 09:03 PM
Prayer Works...amen...and Welcome Back Home And Enjoy The Turkey.

lurchenstein
11-08-05, 11:33 PM
Seeley:
Happy to hear you made it back and will be going home soon.
My prayers go out for your recovery and the recovery of the other Marines.
May God bless and keep you & your loved ones.

rb1651
11-09-05, 08:31 AM
Shawn,

Great news!!! There's no place like home to help speed the recovery. Continue to get well, and we'll keep the prayers outbound for you and all of our other injured brothers and sisters.

Semper Fi

Ron

woodman
11-09-05, 09:40 AM
I would like to buy the Gunny and Steve Brooks a beer for all the effort to keep us updated on the two fine young men and a double for hrscowboys mom for the quilt. Semper Fi

captken
11-09-05, 10:34 AM
Wonderful, wonderful news! Shawn, for most of us (particularly those of us in DC) our association with you is ending. But we know that you still have a lot of work ahead of you. You'll still need strength and courage and you'll still have our faith and prayers with you. God bless you and your family and from one old Sailor...Semper fi!

hrscowboy
11-09-05, 08:22 PM
Orahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ever get to Kansas and Mom will take you up on that drink brother...

Chief Boats
11-10-05, 11:22 AM
I would like to buy the Gunny and Steve Brooks a beer for all the effort to keep us updated on the two fine young men and a double for hrscowboys mom for the quilt. Semper Fi

Woodman, I will take care of the Gunny's drink for you!

GySgtRet
11-10-05, 11:14 PM
Steve Brooke has peovided a sort of update. There isn't much to report about Shwan's condition as he is progressing greatly.

Thank you Steve. Here is the below progress.

Updated 11/10/05 7:50pm PST

Not a whole lot to report. Shawn continues his slow road to recovery. They x-rayed his left leg today and were pleased with how the leg is healing.
Shawn was quite surprised yesterday when his younger brother Ryan flew in for a surprise visit. Ryan will be staying until Saturday and Robin said they we really glad to see each other. When Ryan last saw Shawn, Shawn was still suffering from hallucinations and was rarely lucid. I am sure that Ryan is enjoying this visit much better. Today is the 230th birthday of the US Marine corps and so many people have stopped by to wish Shawn a "Happy Birthday". At a celebration last night, Shawn was honored as the youngest Marine there at Bethesda. No further details as to when he will be coming home. Robin hopes to have a better idea in the next few days. Thank you all for your continued love and prayers. We still need them.
God Bless,
Steve

captken
11-11-05, 10:48 AM
Woodman, I will take care of the Gunny's drink for you!

Woodman, what I think Chief Boats is saying is that he will DRINK the Gunny's drink for him. Nice try Chief!

On a more serious note...what's the status of Shawn and Doc? Are they both still scheduled to leave soon?

captken
11-13-05, 06:33 PM
My wife and I visited both Doc and Shawn yesterday. Both doing great! Shawn still plans to return home in a week and a half. That means Amanda does not need to quit her job but will stay home until Shawn gets there. A great thanksgiving day for them!! Mom and Grandma were both there and anxious to get him home.

Doc is scheduled to leave Bethesda tomorrow for Brooke Army Hospital in San Antonio. He hopes to be fitted with a prosthesis and returned to Bethesda for surgury to finish repair on his internal injuries. They will then do plastic surgury to fix up his stomach and he'll be good to go. Sounds easy but, of course, it'll still be a tough, long road.

I want to follow him to be sure he gets the recognition he deserves for his actions.

yellowwing
11-13-05, 07:48 PM
I want to follow him to be sure he gets the recognition he deserves for his actions.
Damn right, sir!

Good to hear that Shawn is doing much better. There really must be an angel hanging out in his room! Lord knows there are many of us still praying for this young Marine.

And for ALL of our Marines that are still proudly wearing the uniform.

GySgtRet
11-13-05, 08:01 PM
captken,

This is nothing but OUTSTANDING news. Thank you for going up there and getting the updates.

Semper Fidelis

captken
11-13-05, 08:11 PM
Prayer works, gents...it really works! But we gotta hang in there for them. BTW Gunny, no thanks to me. You started this!

I just got Christmas gift mailing instructions for a friend's nephew who is with the Army's 101st in Iraq. I'll post here when I have time to write it all down. Does anyone know the protocol for sending to Marine units?

What upset me is that this kid (19 and on his second tour!!) told his uncle that some Soldiers rarely, if ever, get mail. Well...if they don't get mail they sure as he!! won't get Christmas presents. As a surviver of two Christmas' in Vietnam I'm NOT going to let that happen! I'll start a new thread for this so I don't clog up Shawn's thread.

GySgtRet
11-14-05, 03:28 PM
Steve Brooke has provided an update on LCpl Seeley's condition. Shawn do not give up at all stay focused. You have had an excellent healing process to date and you are still going to do a good job from this point on. We are all still praying for a full recovery for you and everybody at where ever they are. Steve. Thank you for your updates we will go extra on this. I know that everybody is with it on this come Marines let get it on...!!!

Semper Fidelis,
GySgtRet

Ed,
Sorry it has been so long since my last update. There really wasn't that much to report until today. I will let you know as soon as I hear from Robin about when they are shipping out. I have asked either Robin or Mom to get Doc's address at Brooke so we can continue to keep him supported once he is there. Robin said that Doc will not be shipped out today, but possibly tomorrow.
Regards,
Steve

Updated 11/14/05 11:26am PST
Dear Friends,
I got a phone call from Robin this morning and the news on Shawn's right hand is not very good. She spoke with the orthopedist this morning and the doctor told them that the right hand will require extensive reconstructive surgery and even then, they are not very optimistic that he will be able to use his right hand at all. They believe that there is nerve damage on the hand as well as tendon and ligament damage. At this point, Shawn is unable to move any fingers on his right hand more than 1/8th of an inch by himself.
They will be running nerve conductivity tests on the right hand in the near future to ascertain the extent of the damage, but as I said, the doctor was not optimistic. So once again I will ask all of you to pray for a miracle.
Shawn has refused to talk much about his hand to anyone at this point, and I am sure that he must be very discouraged. Please pray that his spirit will be uplifted.
Robin and Mom are really feeling the strain as well. My heart was breaking as I listened to Robin crying on the other end of the phone. I know how drained I was just from my short visit out to see them and I can't imagine what it has been like for them these past 5 weeks. There is still no definitive date for when Shawn and Robin will be coming home, but I know they both feel as though it can't come soon enough.
Other than Shawn's hand, he is progressing well. They are going to try and take him to the Marine Exchange today. That will involve a transfer into a vehicle, so it will be a good test for him before he goes home. I will let you know how that goes when I hear more. Thank you all for your continued prayers and support. It means more to us that we could ever fully express.
God Bless,
Steve

Osotogary
11-14-05, 03:39 PM
Certainly there will be prayers for one and all heading your way. It'll be good for Shawn to remain positive through his healing and adapting process. (naturally, it is easier said than done) It is commendable that Shawn has such a support network going for him. He is quite a fortunate man. I'm thinking positive. Hang in there, Shawn.

captken
11-14-05, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the update. Are prayers are there as well.

I noticed a thread for Texas Marines with some from San Antonio. I'll try to get some of them to respond to our request for support for Doc.

mrbsox
11-14-05, 05:42 PM
IF THE MIND WILL LET IT !!

Shawn,
Prayers continue daily. For every one, but for you and 'Doc' by special mention.

Your body has already made amazing strides to recovery. The human body was put together by more than just 'intelligent design', it was truly DIVINE design. And the mind plays a key roll.

Now, I don't want this to start sounding like an 'ole man speech' that you dreeded in your teen years, but...

I know you've heard 'mind over matter'.
The brain TELLS the body what to do. And the body has the ability to heal itself. Maybe we can't grow new parts, but if the parts are there, I truly believe that the body can make them useful again.
But YOU have to make it happen.
YOU have to open that little tap that gets the brain on the recovery path.
YOU have to give it the tools it needs to do the work with.

GUNG HO

A matter of harmony. Every thing working together for the common goal.
The mind and the body function as one, when in harmony.
Tap the truth that lies inside of you.
The truth that you already know the bodys healing powers have baffled the Drs. that you are moving as fast as you have. The truth that comes from KNOWING, which is beyond faith, that something good will come of your efforts.

Terry

rb1651
11-15-05, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the update Steve and Ed.

Shawn, hang in there Brother. You have proved to the Doctor's that you have they strength and willpower to overcome enormous difficulties. I have faith in you, and all that support you that you can overcome another challenge. Keep positive, and trust in yourself and the Almighty that you will fully recover.

Prayers will continue for you and all of our Brothers and Sisters that continue to fight the good fight.

Semper Fi,

Ron

GySgtRet
11-15-05, 06:39 PM
Steve Brooke has provided and update on Shawn and Doc Leo. Thank you Steve for your continuous updates. Shawn youv'e done a great job on your recovery and I aplaud you excellent efforts congratulations on bearing wieght on at least one of your legs. Now it is one step at a time then you can go right left foot right foot just like at San Diego on your recruit training days. Prayers seem to be working we will just put the volume up a little bit more. Doc Leo, good luck out in Texas it is a mighty big state you know. Good luck out there...!!!

Semper Fidelis.

Updated 11/15/95 3:35 PST

Dear Friends,

Today was a very big day. They moved Shawn's surgery up
to this morning, so his pins are now out. He has been given clearance
to put weight on his left leg as is tolerable. So that is what he did
after he came out of surgery. He was able to put some of his weight on
the leg as he transfered from one chair to another. This was so great
for his attitude. I just got off the phone with him and he said "It's
good to finally feel like I'm healing!" I could hear the pride in his
voice. What a huge boost for his spirits. There is some potential bad
news though. It looks like Shawn will not be transferred to Madagan
after all. They are still looking into one more possiblity in the
Seattle area, but if that falls through then Shawn will go to Brooke
Army medical in San Antonio. We should have a better idea in the next
few days. "Doc" Randell will be leaving for Brooke early tomorrow
morning. He gave Shawn a framed picture of the two of them together at
Bethesda and Shawn gave Randell a mug with the Corpsman emblem for him to "have his first beer once he's out of here"
with. Randell was not sure of what his mailing address will be at
Brooke, but I will pas it along as soon as I have it. Thank you all
once again for your support and prayers.
God Bless,

Steve

captken
11-16-05, 09:20 AM
Shawn, the Gunny and I have been working on this (beware the combined brainpower of an E-7 and an O-6...7 minus 6 = E/O-1...yeah that's about right!) Anyway we figured that if you could get the hospital staff to paint yellow footprints by your bed you could practice standing there for hours on end.

Seriously, you're having some crazy ups and downs that are hard on you, Amanda and your whole family. Please know that if we could make the pain go away we would. But we can't. What we can do is never leave you behind...not physically on the battlefield...not emotionally in a hospital bed.

When we left your room on Saturday my wife commented on how hard this must be for those who are staying with you. That's something that she understands from my long hospital stay that I just can't understand. She wants to be sure that your Mom, Grandma and Amanda...anyone who is here for days on end...is holding up. We want you to let us know if you think that they need a break.

I don't know how many of us are in the area but I'm sure some of us could help...maybe just to take them out (you too, when you can sit in a vehicle) and see the sights around DC...whatever. You keep an eye on them and let us know. No one knows them better than you.

Osotogary
11-16-05, 11:03 AM
captken-
Your combined genius (The Gunny and yourself) have come up with what I think is a real, pardon the expression, "ball busting" idea. You can make yellow foot prints out of out of some sort of heavy duty vinyl (like the kind that can attach to refrigerators by static. Just find the largest shoe that either one of yo can find, make a wooden template, and start cutting out yellow foot prints. You may wish to print motivational Marine Corps slogans on each foot print or have each footprint autographed by well wishers. Once that is done all Shawn would have to do is have someone place the foot prints on the floor, as if someone were walking, and follow the path. Maybe all foot prints wouldn't be used at one time. Maybe the would be used to monitor his recovery progress.
What say ye?
Both you and the Gunny could market this idea a create a recovery fund from all proceeds. Maybe they could be sold in sets of 12 footprints per box or as many foot prints as there are General Orders. I think you folks are on to something of great magnitude.

GySgtRet
11-16-05, 03:39 PM
Gary,

Combined genius. I am not going to let you talk to me that way...!!! Captken is the brains behind this one. I just provide the cadence.

:banana: :evilgrin:

GySgtRet
11-16-05, 06:38 PM
ATTENTION ON DECK...!!! :banana:

LCpl Shawn Seeley is going home....!!!!

Steve Brooks has given me an update as of today for Shawn. Shawn if I miss you on Saturday because you have gone home I will be sad because I missed your visit but very glad indeed that you made it back home. If that is the case I wish you well. WE need to talk about what you said to me on the last visit with you though about the invitation that you gave to me. ANyway here is what Steve has to say.

Ed, Good news all around. I'll let you know as soon as I hear if Shawn will be there for you to visit on Saturday.
Thanks,
Steve

Updated 11/16/05 2:23 PST
I spoke to Robin ths morning and Shawn will be admitted to St. Joseph's
Medical Center in Tacoma, WA. This is about a 25 minute drive from his
parents house. Robin said that he could leave anytime between Friday
and next Wednesday, it is just a matter of coordinating everything.
Robin, Mom and Shawn were all very excited at the news and were hastily
calling everyone to tell them that they will be back in time for Thanksgiving!
Shawn was also able to have his first shower today. He thought it felt
wonderful. He told his mom that he wishes that he could shower everyday.
She told she did too, but I think her reasons were a little different!
I will let you all know when I have firmer dates for the return home.
Thank you all for your continued prayers and support.
God Bless,
Steve

mrbsox
11-16-05, 08:56 PM
Too bad Shawn....
a shower means

NO MORE SPONGE BATHS by those nurses in Osotogarys cartoon :banana:

But great news at the same time. Did it feel as good as that FIRST shower in boot camp ?? You know, the cold one !! lol

GUNG HO !!

Hang in there devil dog.

GySgtRet
11-16-05, 09:18 PM
mrbsox,

You have a good point about the sponge baths. Dang. Hey Shawn you better let them do that one more time...!!!

:banana:

CHOPPER7199
11-16-05, 11:57 PM
Wow, Great News On The Going Home. Been Awhile Since I Last Got On To Say, Glad Things Are Going Good Shawn,and On The Close To Home Stay. Shower, Wash Down By The Nurses, Heck, I Think Amanda Would Fit It On The Help There. Some-one Post The Addy Of The New Place When He Gets There Please.

CHOPPER7199
11-16-05, 11:59 PM
:banana: Wow, Great News On The Going Home. Been Awhile Since I Last Got On To Say, Glad Things Are Going Good Shawn,and On The Close To Home Stay. Shower, Wash Down By The Nurses, Heck, I Think Amanda Would Fit It On The Help There. Some-one Post The Addy Of The New Place When He Gets There Please.:marine:

Amanda
11-17-05, 01:14 AM
hey, its been awhile, i see steve is keeping everyone updated very well. Shawn seems to be in good spirits, Many of his Marine buddies are home at the same time, so he will have lots and lots of visitors! Not to mention, i told him i will not leave him alone...he may get sick of me and tell me to go home! :) He is so glad to get out and about some..he was Christmas shopping the other day. Anyways, just wanted to say hey and let you all know i am here. Anyways keep in touch, i will try to be on more often!!

mandy