PDA

View Full Version : Murder at Quantico

dibob
10-14-05, 02:09 PM
Several years ago there was a petition placed, I believe on this website, by the relatives of a Marine captain and his wife who had been murdered by a lance corporal from the captain's unit in Quantico.

Although the lance corporal received the death penalty, some type of legal maneuvering vacated the death penalty and he was even being considered for parole. The petition asked that the perpetrator not be paroled, but sentenced to life without parole.

Does anyone remember this case, if so, can you supply me with a reference to the case on the Internet or in the archives of Leatherneck.com. Thanks in advance for any help.

GySgtRet
10-14-05, 02:30 PM
dibob,

Yes I do remember this. He killed them and they lived in the lettered apartments. I have't found it yet. I wish that I could remember the year it happened...??? I looked through The drifter's Place from 2002 through 2004 and didn't see it.

I will try this weekend time permitting to find it.

Semper Fidelis

Ed Palmer
10-14-05, 02:45 PM
Is this the story you want
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Return to story

Murder sentence 25 years
May 4, 2001 1:41 am

By PAMELA GOULD
The Free Lance-Star

Aaron Arthur Feeney said his wife Tabatha had "a smile that could melt an iceberg," that they were making plans for a honeymoon, that they expected "to live out the American dream."

And that she wasn't supposed to die last August.

But in his statement to Prince William Circuit Judge Richard B. Potter yesterday, the former Quantico Marine corporal offered no explanation for why he grabbed his 27-year-old wife in a military chokehold Aug. 12 and held her until he was certain she was dead.

The 22-year-old Feeney, in a statement to the court prior to his sentencing, apologized to his wife's family and to his own and blamed no one but himself for his actions.

"Every day until the day I die, I will have to deal with the fact that I killed one of God's most beautiful creations," Feeney said, reading from sheets of yellow paper.

Calling the case a "double tragedy" because it involved the "violent, senseless death of a lovely young lady" and the punishment of a dependable, disciplined Marine, Potter sentenced Feeney to 50 years in the state penitentiary with half the time suspended.

He then sent the former high school wrestling star back to his jail cell with an admonition.

"You will continue to live, unlike Tabatha," the judge said. "You will have an opportunity to get out of prison and do something good and productive with your life and I hope you will take advantage of that."

Yesterday, Feeney's immediate supervisor at the Quantico Marine Corps base was one of four character witnesses called by the defense. Gunnery Sgt. Anthony Horner said Feeney was one of the top two in his squadron of 30 and said he had twice left duty to attend to his wife when she was ill.

And his adoptive mother, Karen Feeney, recounted how Aaron Feeney had been an honor student who played high school football and placed third in the New Mexico state wrestling finals.

Feeney joined the Marine Corps in 1997 and was transferred to the Quantico Marine Corps Base nine months before his wife's murder.

He killed her after an argument inside their Woodbridge apartment, then buried her body in a shallow grave on the western side of the Marine base.

He confessed to the killing five days afterward and led police to the grave, lamenting that he had let down the Marine Corps and his family.

He pleaded guilty to murder in February and prosecutors recommended the sentence handed down yesterday.

Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney Tony Kostelecky acknowledged Feeney's remorse and clean record yesterday, but said the willful, deliberate killing called for a harsh punishment.

"The defendant had other choices before him," Kostelecky said, suggesting he could have walked away or called 911 if he and his wife were arguing. "He did the one thing, however, that was not a good choice. He did the worst possible thing he could do."

GySgtRet
10-14-05, 02:58 PM
Ed Palmer,

Close but not the correct story. Top is right it was a Capt and his wife. I think it was around, or between 2002 - 2203. But I am not sure. I will ask my wife shr remembers things that men do pretty well.

Semper Fidelis

dibob
10-14-05, 09:32 PM
Thanks, GySgtRet, I appreciate the effort.

GySgtRet
10-15-05, 06:48 PM
dibob,

I was wrong she doesn't remember it. I have checked the Freelance Star and the Washington Post. I wish I had the names or a date or something. Just searching Quantico doesn't get the results.

mpwildes
10-17-05, 12:35 PM
I did some research on this incident and their is only 2 incidents that have occured here in the past 20 years.

The one that was already addressed above and then the other was back in the 87-89 time frame where a captain was murdered by her husband who was a former Marine and they lived in the lettered apartments. Apparently they made a T.V. movie about it. This is the word I am getting from my leader who have been here since then.

GySgtRet
10-17-05, 12:46 PM
mpwildes,

I wish I could remember this but is within the past 5 years that this one occured. I have been retired since Oct 93. I know that this didn't happen when I was on active duty. I know the one that you mentioned, the movies. The one that top is talking about is a LCpl killed his OIC and his wife. I thought about looking into the Quantico Sentry but I am not sure how far they go back.

Semper Fidelis

Mastergunz G
10-17-05, 01:59 PM
Are you talking about the murder at Camp Lejeune, the wife was a teacher at Lejeune High School. I believe her husband was a Capt. The Marine was a LCPL, I believe. Not sure of the date but I believe that it was between 91-94.

Amtracs
10-17-05, 02:21 PM
Dose the name Ruiz ring a bell. Somewhere it's in my head that he was the LCpl. I think the Lt invited him home or something. The last I heard was years ago he was appealing his death sentence.

Semper Fi,
Dick Lavello (Tampa)

GySgtRet
10-17-05, 03:45 PM
Now that you mentioned it maybe it was Camp Lejeune...??? Danged if I know now matbe Joe was correct....??? I could have sworn that I had been retired for a lot longer than when this happened but maybe it was...?? I usually have an excellent memory. I guess it is slipping away along with my boish figure...

I am bafelled then as to what case it is gentlemen..

Semper Fidelis

GySgtRet
10-17-05, 03:46 PM
I mean Ed Palmer, dang I couldn't even get that staight and it is on this page. Time to retire again...

Phantom Blooper
10-17-05, 08:12 PM
Friday, February 5, 1999 <br />
<br />
Military appeals court blocks death sentence <br />
Private who killed Lejeune couple keeps life sentence <br />
<br />
BY DIANA D'ABRUZZO <br />
DAILY NEWS STAFF <br />
<br />
Convicted murderer Pvt....

GySgtRet
10-17-05, 08:29 PM
I didn't go back far enough it looks. I was only going back to 2002 and realy thought that it was Quantico. I appologize for my lack of memory to all. Thank you Phantom Blooper. Although he is a brother Marine he should still not get away with cold blooded murder.

Semper Fidelis

dibob
11-06-05, 11:50 PM
Thank you all for your excellent effort, even after I led you astray believing it was at Quantico.

Semper Fi!