PDA

View Full Version : Parsippany native is home safe from Iraq

thedrifter
10-13-05, 05:38 AM
0/13/05 - Posted from the Daily Record newsroom
Parsippany native is home safe from Iraq
BY ELLEN S. WILKOWE
DAILY RECORD

PARSIPPANY -- For Marine Cpl. Mathew Conklin, fighting for Iraqi freedom meant doing without the love and support of family during his two consecutive tours of duty.

Serving his country meant months or years at a time separated from his six brothers and sisters, 10 nieces and nephews, and the extended Parsippany community -- to whom he returned home on Wednesday, following a brief transition at Camp Pendleton, Calif.

But even that wasn't his most difficult challenge during his tour.

"The hardest part about being away was the lack of freedom while fighting for it," he said.

Conklin was savoring his rediscovered freedom Wednesday at the Rattlesnake Ranch Café in Denville, where he reunited with familiar friends.

"This is my 'Cheers,'" he said. "They know me here because I worked here in high school."

Fueled by pride and self-assessment, the Morris Catholic High School graduate joined the U.S. Marine Corps in 2002, while in his early 20s.

"I was an able-bodied male between the ages of 18 and 35 and figured I'd better do it now,"he said.

He was involved in the November invasion of Fallujah and worked as a communicator, setting up point-to-point links. Conklin spent eight months in Fallujah.

"The whole time out there, there are pop shots and you're like a sitting duck," he said. "You're on edge, but you learn to live with that kind of stress in your life."

With a son in Iraq, Conklin's mother, Patricia, understands stress. She credits the neighboring Parsippany community for standing behind her. Wednesday's "reception," during which Parsippany Mayor Mimi Letts made a house call to the Conklin home, was as much for her support system as for her, she said.

"This isn't just for me and his six sisters and brothers, 10 nieces and nephews, but for everyone in Parsippany," she said. "The whole town was wonderful. When he was away, they collected things and sent them over to his battalion and they decorated the street with signs and lined it with flags."

Matthew Conklin last saw his family in June before he voluntarily signed on for second tour, this one a four-month stint at Baghdad International Airport.

"He said, 'I'm a single guy, Mom, I have to go back," Conklin said. "I can't let these married guys who haven't seen their newborn children go back."

Despite her own on-edge fears, Patricia Conklin gushed with pride while speaking of her highly decorated son.

"He's won quite a few awards from the Marines," she said, rattling off a list that included the Naval Achievement Award, the Global War on Terrorism Service Award, the Global War on Terrorism Service Expeditionary Award, the National Defense Service Award and a Medal of Good Conduct.

Like most homecoming soldiers, Conklin plans on catching up with as many friends and family as possible before returning to Came Pendleton in 10 days.

His four years are up in February. Conklin does not plan to re-enlist.

Having served and fought for freedom has instilled a sense of responsible awareness in him.

"I have a new level of responsibility and understanding of what goes on in the world," he said.

Ellen S. Wilkowe can be reached at 973-428-6662 or ewilkowe@gannett.com.

Ellie