PDA

View Full Version : From communism to freedom to Iraq

thedrifter
10-11-05, 07:06 AM
From communism to freedom to Iraq
II Marine Expeditionary Force (FWD)
Story by Cpl. Ruben D. Maestre

CAMP FALLUJAH, Iraq (Oct. 9, 2005) -- Originally a refugee from Vietnam, the U.S. Sailor wanted to give back to his adopted country and he did it by volunteering to serve in Iraq, alongside Marines.

Petty Officer 3rd Class John Ung joined the Navy to thank his new country, the United States.

“A lot of people don’t understand why I joined,” said the resident of Rosemead, Calif. “This is my debt of gratitude for the country that helped out me and my family.”

Born in Saigon, Republic of Vietnam in 1974, the future Navy Seabee didn’t get the chance to grow up in his native land. Saigon fell to communist forces in April 1975 and his father, an allied soldier who served alongside members of the U.S. military, found his family and himself in a predicament.

“We left under the cover of darkness,” recalled Ung, whose family, ethnic Chinese, were also a persecuted minority in Vietnam. “I [was young but I] remembered getting into a small crowded boat.”

Ung’s family joined the estimated one million ‘Boat People,’ refugees leaving communist-controlled Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos on rickety boats in the late 1970s. Their odyssey took them to relatives in Hong Kong, then Japan before finally settling in Southern California.

It was in Long Beach, Calif., that Ung and his family established themselves. The future Navy electrician went to school at Long Beach Jordan High School, participating in the football, wrestling and track teams and graduating there in 1993.

After high school, the Vietnamese-Chinese immigrant joined the Navy, serving two years active duty. In 1998, Ung joined the Navy Reserve, and was activated in 2003 for the initial stages of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

“My job is to rebuild,” said Ung about humanitarian projects his current unit, 30th Naval Construction Regiment, II Marine Expeditionary Force (FWD), participates in Iraq. “That’s why I joined the Seabees. I wanted to help those less fortunate.”

A civilian newspaper photographer and a student working toward a bachelor’s degree when he is not serving on active duty, Ung has no regrets about giving up time to serve in Al Anbar province.

“This is my second time out here,” said the 31-year-old who deployed here in August. “I volunteered [for this deployment].”

In Iraq, the Seabee has participated in camp security, conducting vehicle inspections and maintaining watch, in addition to, helping out with duties in moving supplies needed by naval construction crews.

“We call him a can-do Seabee,” said Chief Petty Officer Vicky Barker, of Long Beach, Calif., and supply manager with 30th Naval Construction Regiment. “When we need to get things done, he’s there.”

Ung thinks about home and his wife often and plans to go on vacation when he returns to the states but remains proud that he serves with U.S. service members here.

“It’s an honor to be here,” said Ung. “The U.S. tried to help [the Vietnamese] and this is my way of saying thank you.”

Ellie