PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about picking up a pistol, any suggestions?

PFCJon
10-11-05, 12:03 AM
I'm thinking about picking up a handgun this winter sometime. I'm intending to use it for general marksmanship and shooting for the sake of shooting, but the main reason I want it is for home protection and as a sidearm (assuming my command allows it) for the upcoming trip to the sandbox. I don't know much about ballistics and handguns in general, but I'm leaning towards either a Glock in 9mm, a 1911 in .45 ACP, or a S&W .357 mag. I know that 9mm rounds are cheaper and probably easier to get in the field (NATO round and all...) but the drawback is less stopping power. The .45 is nice, but I'm having trouble finding a nice 1911 for under a grand (although I have just barely started looking). The S&W is simple, and packs the punch I'm looking for. My concern is that it doesn't have a large capacity and cannot be reloaded extremely fast.

During some EMP shooting this weekend I realized that the a4 isn't the best weapon to be fired one handedly or in extremely tight quarters, which has led to my desire to look into finding a handgun.

If any of you hellhounds has any suggestions as far as what to look for, or think I'm just barking up the wrong tree thinking about adding another few pounds of gear to my body, please let me know! Thanks and goodnight.

Semper Fi

PFC Cross

mrbsox
10-11-05, 05:27 AM
Some thoughts on the subject;

Your profile says your 21, so you can legally purchase. Good to go there.
Are there any ranges around that let you rent, to put a few boxes down range ??

You'll want something you are COMFORTABLE with. A .45 is no good if you cannot control it, and put rounds on target. Logistics SHOULD be a consideration, as you seem to be thinking.
? Can you get ammo ??
? Can your unit armorer make repairs, if needed ??
? Spare parts, if needed ??
? DOES your current command allow a personel weapon ??
? Do the extra mags fit your gear ?? How many ??
? Will the weapon accept a lanyard ??
? What type of sights/lights are available for it ??
! Then your talking batteries, etc !!

Some some points to consider, for your choice.
Give 'em he!! Devil dog, and bring your butt back home !!

Terry

jgorosco
10-11-05, 07:01 AM
DepJon the weapon I use for my personal favorite and can handle the elements well. Is a SigSauer P2226 .40cal It has the stopping power plus not that hard to clean in the field. A little expensive but a very reliable weapon. Hope this little bit of info helped.

SEMPER FI
IYAOYAS

tasslehof
10-11-05, 08:40 AM
Depjon,

You can pick up a very nice Springfield 1911 with beavertail and combat hammer and a few other goodies already in place for around 600 to 700 bucks brand new.

Personally I prefer the 1911 for a combat pistol over anything out there. There is a reason they are still around and still in such wide use so many years later.

OLE SARG
10-11-05, 09:08 AM
My preference is Glock. Good reliable weapon and comes in all the good calibers. I have a Glock Model 22 (.40 caliber) and now have a Model 21 and Model 30 (both .45). Good weapons and easy to clean and I always shot expert with mine.

SEMPER FI,
OLE SARG

jegries
10-11-05, 09:42 AM
Before you look into a weapon perhaps you should inquire about permission for a sidearm and consider if they will have ammo available for you in the sandbox. My personal favorite is the .45 however in the field you might be better off with the 9mm.

Nagalfar
10-11-05, 10:10 AM
For a wheel gun, you cant go wrong with a Smith, or a Colt, they are what all others a judged by. Semi-Auto, a 1911 COLT, or most any CZ, 200+ militarys, and 4000 PLUS Police Depts around the world cant be wrong, and if you look around you will find a great many of the Comp guns being used on the professional circuits are CZs.

And to address your lack of understanding about ballistics, most anything in 9mm, 38(in +P only), .357, .40, .41, 45 will work nicely.. its more about shot placement than sectional denisty or velocity or any other crap, a good hit from a .22 is a lot better than a nic from a .45.

As a rule of thumb most wheel guns (Smith and Colt, NOT Taurus or RG or some cheap import) are thought to be more dependable than most auto loaders.. but the upside of a autoloader is you will generally get more shots without reloading, also, some autos like a 1911 dont like anything but a steady diet of ball ammo, to use things like JHPs, you need to get them ported and polished so they will be able to reliabily load ammo that is other than Ball Ammo. If you are going to use/need it in a area where ammo is scace you should stick with something that is common and easy to find.

Osotogary
10-11-05, 10:21 AM
Just a thought from a novice (can one be less than a novice?).
Mrbsox mentioned , "You'll want something you are COMFORTABLE
with." I guess that about covers it all but how about if you have small hands and the handgun that you want has a large grip, or, visa versa? Do you go for that handgun or do you find a handgun that fits the size of your hand comfortably even though it wasn't your first choice?

Nagalfar
10-11-05, 10:28 AM
I would say if you want to be accurate, comfort and ability to control the grip during recoil is very important.. but, as well a good stance, and practice makes a huge difference as well..

outlaw3179
10-11-05, 10:54 AM
Glock , carried it in theatre and was always good to me. So good I came home and bought one. But just like all the other Marines said , ammo is the key. A good .45 is awesome but its not worth anything if you have no rounds for it.

mrbsox
10-11-05, 10:56 AM
Once again, check into rentals and some range time.

A consideration is that you cannot CARRY ammo with you, and no one can ship any to you. So an ammo that is redily available in the theatre must be a consideration.
One option may be to 'PARTIAL RE-LOAD' on site. By that I'm referring to taking stock available ammo, removing the 'bullet', and resetting an aftermarket bulletm reusing the existing powder. As I mentioned, no one can ship you any ammo, but they may be able to send a couple hunder 147grain semi-jacket HPs for the 9mm round.

But then... there is the question (legality) of using un authorized ammo, in a combat zone.

testforecho2112
10-11-05, 11:39 AM
The SIG P220 in .45 is a great out of the box weapon.

Personally, I stay away from the Glockb's...too many issues with unsupported barrels going KABoom.

JMHO, though, many like the Glock, but with my smaller hands, it doesnt feel comfortable.

I have the SIG's in several models and calibers, the P226 in .357SIG is a good way to go too. the .40 is alright, but if you are serious about a good weapon, you might as well put the same money into the .45

The nice thing about the SIG P226 and other models, is that you can buy an extra barrel and have a .40 or .357 SIG at your convienence. Just switch out the barrel, use the same mags.

Just my $.02

Bill

miguelito
10-11-05, 11:46 AM
I would have to suggest the Smith & Wesson 500. The enemy will run away without you having to fire a single round!
http://firearms.smith-wesson.com/userimages/163500_large.jpg

bigdog43701
10-11-05, 01:03 PM
depjon...just a thought here. i am a law enforcement officer in ohio. i loved my s&w 659 9mm. then my department made a change to everyone in patrol carries a glock 22 (40 cal). i was not convinced that a handgun made out of plastic was woth a ****, however after using it for the past three years i love it. very easy to clean and care for.

Preacher
10-11-05, 01:42 PM
older model IXA in .45 ACP. Wouldn't trade it for any 9mm.

RLeon
10-11-05, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by tasslehof
Depjon,

You can pick up a very nice Springfield 1911 with beavertail and combat hammer and a few other goodies already in place for around 600 to 700 bucks brand new.

Personally I prefer the 1911 for a combat pistol over anything out there. There is a reason they are still around and still in such wide use so many years later.

Springfield Armory makes many 1911's for under a grand. I am saving up for a Springfield Armory MC Operator or a Kimber Warrior, both are based on the Sidearm used by Detachment-1 and MEU SOC. Awesome pistols with good rep...but pricey.
And as far as recoil and control...Marines have been using 1911 in 45 ACP since it's inception.

BTW tasselhof, what kind of ammo do you use in your hoopax.
;)

LivinSoFree
10-11-05, 03:01 PM
Side note- most commands do not allow the transport of personal firearms to a combat zone, for a variety of reasons. HOWEVER- The Iraqi police force over there are issued Glocks, at government expense, and I know more than one Marine who "acquired" one of said Glocks for not a lot of time or trouble... that's another thought...