PDA

View Full Version : Nerves calmed after return of local Marines

thedrifter
10-08-05, 07:19 AM
Nerves calmed after return of local Marines
Hamilton Journal News

FAIRFIELD — Although the street was full of family, friends and neighbors, the homecoming celebration for a Fairfield Marine was bittersweet.

Marine Lance Cpl. Kevin Mullins is part of the Lima Company, which lost a number of men, including Lakota East High School graduate Timothy Bell and Oxford resident Michael Cifuentes.

“They went back and forth to Columbus together. They’re like brothers,” said Gladys Longbottom, Mullins’ grandmother.

Although Mullins’ fallen comrades were remembered yesterday, the homecoming celebration was a happy one, full of tears and hugs.

Mullins’ mother, Patrice Lehmann, said she was just happy her son returned home safely because she has been nervous since the family received word that Mullins was heading to Iraq.

“We found out last August that he would leave. I hardly slept a whole night the whole time he was gone,” she said through happy tears. “We’re so happy he’s here. We’re thankful for family and friends.”

Although he is now back home in Fairfield with his family, Mullins said it was only recently the return to the States was official.

“A couple days ago it was still questionable,” Mullins said, adding that he didn’t want to leave other Marines behind. “I felt bad leaving.”

Longbottom was waiting in anticipation because she hasn’t seen her grandson since January, and has been worried about him.

“He left the first of March for Iraq. I haven’t been able to sleep at night. He’s our pride and joy,” she said. “He was on an airplane on his 22nd birthday going over there.”

Longbottom said she and the family got through the last few months with faith and prayer.

“I burned those big candles like they have in church and we never let it burn out,” she said.

Mullins’ fiancĂ©e, Caitlin McCaney, said things have been difficult with Mullins in Iraq.

“It got easier at the end because I knew it was almost over,” she said.

Mullins proposed to McCaney in Las Vegas before he left for Iraq.

“We just got engaged in February,” McCaney said, adding that they set Oct. 28, 2006 as the wedding date.

Although wedding plans await the happy couple in the coming months, McCaney said they were just enjoying the celebration.

“It’s been a great day,” she said.

Ellie