PDA

View Full Version : Marines motivate students at Beaufort-Jasper career day

thedrifter
10-07-05, 02:37 PM
Marines motivate students at Beaufort-Jasper career day
MCAS Beaufort
Story by:Lance Cpl. Zachary Dyer

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION BEAUFORT, SC(Oct. 7, 2005) -- Marines from the Air Station spoke to students about various jobs in the Marine Corps during a Military Career Day held at the Beaufort-Jasper Academy for Career Excellence Sept. 29.

Service members from Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, Beaufort Naval Hospital and the South Carolina Army National Guard were also invited to talk to students.

Recruiters from the Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, Army and the Army National Guard were on hand to talk with students about their respective services.

“It’s part of our school-to-career program,” said Catherine Smith, the director of the academy. “It’s a chance for students to talk to members of the different services and see how they can use their training in different jobs in the military.”

Students, as well as members of the Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps, from Jasper County High School were also invited to attend Military Career Day, according to Smith.

The event began with a speech given by Sgt. Maj. Alexander McBride, the Air Station sergeant major.

“I liked Sergeant Major McBride’s speech,” said Josh Whitman, a senior at ACE. “I think it touched some of the kids in the school.”

After the assembly, the students visited various stations that service members set up in classrooms. Service members talked about their jobs and answered the students’ questions.

“Today was interesting,” said Nicole Basilone, a senior at ACE and a distant relative to renowned Marine Gunnery Sgt. John Basilone. “I’m not interested in joining the military, but I learned a lot about it.”

The day was a rewarding experience for the service members involved as well.

“The best part was seeing the interest of the students you spoke with, not only in administration but in the military” said Lance Cpl. Michael Gruits, an administration clerk at Installation Personnel Administration Center’s Deployed Operations office here.

“It was a fun day,” Basilone said. “I met some interesting people and I liked hearing all the stories.”

Ellie