PDA

View Full Version : From the Halls of Montezuma...

yellowwing
10-06-05, 07:29 PM
Battle of Chapultepec
During the Mexican American War our Beloved Corps' actions have become legend.

The assault on Chapultepec Castle was a fierce battle that inflicted heavy casualties on both sides.

Chapultepec Castle was the military training academy for the Mexican army. Imagine a force attacking Annapolis or The Citadel.

Our enemy was highly motivated and truly dedicated. The Mexican army has immortalized 6 young military cadets that refused to retreat from the face of certain death, even when ordered to by their commanding general. That's what we were up against.

And we prevailed! We marched straight into his back yard and seized his military academy. That's part of what we are made of!

Semper Fi

more details on Wikopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Chapultepec)

yellowwing
11-01-05, 05:05 PM
Now which one of you motivated Poolees can tell us how the Marine Corps commemorates this historic battle? (Besides in our hymn)

:qmark:

jryanjack
11-01-05, 05:56 PM
This has been up for almost a month with no answer? Are the date stamps off - it appears Yellowwing posted this on October 6th?

yellowwing
11-01-05, 05:58 PM
The first post was 6 October. My poolee challenge question is from today.

bigdog43701
11-01-05, 06:26 PM
well, since everyone listed here is corporal or above YOU BETTER know the answer!

yellowwing
11-01-05, 06:32 PM
That's why I posted this in the Marine Mentor page. To help these brave young pups prepare.

Joseph P Carey
11-01-05, 08:17 PM
That's why I posted this in the Marine Mentor page. To help these brave young pups prepare.

Damn Wing, maybe they don't know about the blood stripe yet, please tell them! But, if I can remember correctly, because of the lose of so many officers and NCOs in the battle, all NCO and above wear the bloodstripe on their Blue Trousers of the their dress uniform, and other than the mention of the battle in the Marine Corps Hymm (From the halls...), that is the part of Marine Corps Tradition that is still carried forward to this day.

yellowwing
11-01-05, 10:41 PM
Okay, let the Poolees have a bit more time on this one:

For 10 bonus points, "Who wears a Blood Stripe over Black Trousers?"

DN17
11-14-05, 09:40 PM
Now which one of you motivated Poolees can tell us how the Marine Corps commemorates this historic battle? (Besides in our hymn)

:qmark:

the red stripe on NCOs dress pants. the 'blood stripe' isnt it?

yellowwing
11-14-05, 09:51 PM
Yes, the Blood Stripe on the Dress Blues Trousers. For future reference they are called pants only on female Marines.

For the second question, any takers on who wears Black Trousers with the Dress Blue Uniform?

mrbsox
11-15-05, 06:12 AM
Since this has been floating around for awhile,
I'm thinking Field Grade Officers, evening dress uniform (male).

Gunny McMillan
11-18-05, 09:18 AM
General grade officers...but the trousers are actually (well I should say "technically") dark blue, not black. If you see a picture of a General in dress blues, you'll notice that the trousers are identical in color with the blouse. Also it's interesting to note the the blood stripe is wider on those trousers, 2 inches I believe as opposed to 1.5 inches on all others.

yellowwing
11-18-05, 09:56 AM
Yes! Thank you Gunny.

ggyoung
11-18-05, 01:20 PM
Blood Stripes! Chapultapec or Uniform Regulations? From theboom,The Marines by Edwin Howard Simmons, J. Robert Moskin, Marine Corps Heritage Foundation, 1998. For generations drill instructors have solemnly told recruits that the scarlet stripe on the blue trousers of Marine officers and noncommissioned officers are "blood stripes" in honor of Marines killed in storming Chapultec in Mexico in 1847. Interesting but not true. The wearing of stripes on the trousere began in 1834, following the army's practice of having trouser strips the color of the facings. Col. Henderson prescibed buff-white strips for officers and sergeants. When in 1839 the uniform changed back to dark blue coats faced red, officer trouser stripes became dark blue edgedin red. ten years later officer stripes chaned to red and in 1859 the uniform reulations prescribed a scarlet welt inserted into the outer seam for officers and musicans. After more variations were tried, finally in 1904 the simple and striking all-scarlet stripe was adopted..."

ASFAB93
11-18-05, 02:32 PM
Blood Stripes! Chapultapec or Uniform Regulations? From theboom,The Marines by Edwin Howard Simmons, J. Robert Moskin, Marine Corps Heritage Foundation, 1998. For generations drill instructors have solemnly told recruits that the scarlet stripe on the blue trousers of Marine officers and noncommissioned officers are "blood stripes" in honor of Marines killed in storming Chapultec in Mexico in 1847. Interesting but not true. The wearing of stripes on the trousere began in 1834, following the army's practice of having trouser strips the color of the facings. Col. Henderson prescibed buff-white strips for officers and sergeants. When in 1839 the uniform changed back to dark blue coats faced red, officer trouser stripes became dark blue edgedin red. ten years later officer stripes chaned to red and in 1859 the uniform reulations prescribed a scarlet welt inserted into the outer seam for officers and musicans. After more variations were tried, finally in 1904 the simple and striking all-scarlet stripe was adopted..."

So... the stripe isn't in memory of Chapultapec? But I thought that the Gunnery Srg. just said...:confused:

ggyoung
11-18-05, 07:57 PM
Our DI's also told us that the Marines did not fight in our uncivel war. That is also no true.