PDA

View Full Version : City recognizes corporals' courageous act

thedrifter
10-06-05, 05:40 AM
City recognizes corporals' courageous act
MCB Camp Pendleton
Story by Lance Cpl. Antonio Rosas

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. (Oct. 6, 2005) -- Marines don’t leave other Marines behind.

Marines don’t leave civilians behind either, as proven by a pair of two-time Operation Iraqi freedom veterans.

The city of Oceanside recognized the heroic efforts of two Marine corporals Sept. 21, who rescued an elderly woman from her burning vehicle three months ago just outside Camp Pendleton’s gate.

“We are very proud to have these two individuals so close to our city and thank them for all they have done,” said Oceanside mayor James F. Wood, as he presented a certificate of appreciation to Cpl. Matthew Castaneda, 23, an electronics technician with 1st
Maintenance Battalion, 1st Force Service Support Group.

The other Marine, Cpl. Ricardo Montalvo Jr., was not present for the ceremony and unavailable for comment.

As the two Marines traveled southbound on Interstate 5 June 18, just outside Camp Pendleton, they noticed a car on the side of the highway starting to catch fire.

“Stop the car!” Castaneda recalled saying. “I didn’ think anybody was in the car, but as we ran towards it, we noticed a woman inside and immediately pulled her out of the car.”

Seconds later, the car burst into flames but not before the dynamic duo managed to rescue the woman’s walker and diabetic medicine from the roadside inferno.

The 71-year-old woman who was rescued, J.J. Sorensen, a retired social services consultant from San Antonio recalls the details of the moment when she felt her life slip between her fingers.

“I went into shock when the car started flaming up. I just sat in the car until Matt and Rick pulled me out,” said Sorensen.

The pair also stopped an 18-wheeled, tractor-trailer and used the fire extinguisher to put out some of the flames.

“The car began burning like you wouldn’t believe,” said Castaneda, who is currently preparing for his third deployment to Iraq. “It was like a blow-torch shooting flames from the engine compartment.”

With the help of a nearby irrigation truck, the Marines were successful in quashing the flames just in time for the Camp Pendleton Fire Department to show up and thank the Marines for a job well done.

Sorensen has maintained a close family relationship with the two Marines since the heroic day and could not thank them enough for their life-saving feat.

“I have a new family now. God sent me two angels,” Sorensen said. “They deserve every bit of recognition.”
Castaneda claimed he simply reacted to the threat of the smoking car and it was only until after the fact that he realized just how dangerous the situation could have been as the car had nearly a full tank of gas.

“Responding to this situation was not anything like what was experienced in Iraq,” said Castaneda. “Over in Fallujah, when mortars are coming down all over, you’re fending for your life but you have the training to know what to do. I’m not a firefighter, but the Lord gave me the strength to perform the way I did.”

Ellie