PDA

View Full Version : Marines, sailor save fellow devil dog’s life

thedrifter
10-05-05, 05:22 AM
Marines, sailor save fellow devil dog’s life
MCB Camp Butler
Story by Cpl. Martin R. Harris

CAMP KINSER, OKINAWA, Japan (Oct. 5, 2005) -- For performing their duties in an exemplary and highly professional manner, three members of 3rd Materiel Readiness Battalion, 3rd Marine Logistics Group, were awarded Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medals at Roberts Field on Camp Kinser Sept. 30.

The battalion presented Lance Cpl. David J. Feild, Pfc. Rocco A. Pupino and Petty Officer 2nd Class William R. Burkland medals for their actions July 2.

The two Marines and sailor responded to a life-threatening situation when a Marine, who was on duty, severely sliced his right arm and severed an artery in his left arm after punching both arms, in anger, through the wire reinforced glass of a storm door.

“The (Marines’ and sailor’s) situational awareness and basic life-saving skills played a key role in their ability to save the wounded Marine’s life,” said Lt. Col. Ricky F. Brown, executive officer for 3rd MRB. “They all came from different directions to help a Marine in need.”

Pupino was the first on the scene. After hearing glass break on his way down the first floor stairs, Pupino saw a large amount of blood and knew someone was seriously injured.

“The entire deck was full of blood, and I was just hoping he was going to live,” said Pupino, a motor transport operator. “I put a towel around his arm and elevated it over his heart, then Doc Burkland showed up.”

Burkland, a medically trained, bio-medical repair technician, was also coming down the stairs. He immediately assessed the situation as a serious injury and ensured the Marine was stable until the ambulance arrived.

“The Marine lost about four pints of blood from his injuries, but the Marine that was there when I got there was doing a great job. He had already starting applying direct pressure and elevated the wounds,” Burkland said. “(Our unit) has a lot of great people, we were just the first ones on the scene. I’m sure anyone else would have done the same thing.”

Feild was signing back into the barracks when he noticed a trail of blood. He momentarily had trouble deciding the severity of the situation, but then quickly understood and made the emergency call relaying driving directions and their location to an ambulance.

“I didn’t know if it was a prank at first, but when I saw how bad he was bleeding the life saving steps immediately kicked in,” said Feild, an administrative clerk. “Everything happened in a few minutes, but a lot happened in that time, it was sort of like slow motion.”

The Marines attributed their quick action to the hours of first aid training they received in Marine Corps Recruit Training.

“It’s important in today’s combat for Marines to be able to save one another’s lives by applying the basic life saving steps they learn in boot camp,” Brown said.

Ellie