PDA

View Full Version : Seagoing Marines gather for final depot meeting

thedrifter
10-02-05, 05:35 AM
Seagoing Marines gather for final depot meeting
MCRD San Diego
Story by Pvt. Charlie Chavez

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif. (Sept. 30, 2005) -- The United States Seagoing Marine Association, in its largest gathering since World War II, attended a morning colors ceremony and Company M's graduation Friday.

The 211 Marines and spouses first attended the colors ceremony, then they viewed a graduation ceremony similar to what they marched in years ago. Some Seagoing Marines at the graduation completed boot camp when the M1-Garand Rifle was still in use and fired during the graduations.

"I miss the rifles so much. They made everything so nice," said Seagoing Marine Chuck Kane. "I guess they can't have them for graduation because of security."

The Seagoing Marines share a significant bond with the depot because from the 1930s through the 1980s, Sea School was located where the Coast Guard weather station is now, according to William R. Graham, the association's finance officer.

The school was set in place so that Marines with no knowledge of how to serve on a ship could get proper training and understanding before joining their Navy brethren abroad. Sea School's highlight was when then-President John F. Kennedy conducted a formal inspection on the students in the early 1960s.

"The ceremony and the depot are still as beautiful as when I was here before," said Seagoing Marine Joe F. Cody.

Robert Vanderveen, a Seagoing Marine, said this was probably the last association meeting on the depot becausethe school has not been active in more than 20 years, so no new members join.

Ellie

Barlow
10-13-05, 12:58 PM
Sea School was down at the end of the big grinder in 1959 .
Where is Sea School being moved to ?