PDA

View Full Version : Weighty matter delights troops

thedrifter
10-02-05, 05:09 AM
THE PANHANDLE
Weighty matter delights troops
A Destin man asked his fellow Knights of Columbus to help him gather exercise equipment for donation to the troops in Iraq. The response was more than they hoped for.
BY ROBBYN BROOKS
Northwest Florida Daily News

DESTIN - When Larry Faulk asked his son-in-law what he and other Marines in Iraq needed to feel more comfortable, he was shocked by the answer.

It wasn't the usual response of toothbrushes and toothpaste.

''The only thing he wished they had was exercise equipment,'' Faulk said.

So Faulk asked his fellow Knights of Columbus to help him gather any exercise equipment people were willing to donate that could then be shipped to the 1st Battalion 5th Marines in Iraq.

''We figured we'd get a bunch of dumbbells and jump ropes,'' said Steve Sadowski.

But the response was much greater than the Knights had hoped for.

Treadmills, rowing machines, weights, workout balls and all sorts of other exercise equipment came pouring in.

''I looked forward to it every day,'' said Len Casey, a former Marine who picked up many of the donations. ``The phone would ring and someone had something to offer.''

Gathering the equipment was no problem for the Knights. Getting it to the Marines, however, started a five-month battle through red tape.

At first, Faulk planned to ship the cargo through an independent company. That option hit a dead end after a Pensacola business quoted the group a $13,000 shipping price.

Then, the Knights tried to find a way to send the cargo as part of a military shipment that was already scheduled. That plan didn't pan out, either.

Camp Lejeune, a U.S. Marine base in North Carolina, was the solution to their shipping problems.

A fellow Knight at Lejeune, Lt. Col. Fred Hyden, was able to coordinate with the Destin group and send a truck to Faulk's home to pick up the donations.

''I can't even begin to tell in words how I feel about it,'' Faulk said as he waited on the truck Tuesday afternoon. ``My garage is finally going to be empty again.''

Seven men from the Knights of Columbus Christ our Redeemer Council 13527 loaded up the truck with the help of one of Faulk's neighbors. They had smiles on their faces. The sun was hot and the load was heavy, but they all knew it was for a good cause.

''The biggest thing is knowing we are doing something for guys that don't always feel appreciated,'' Ralph Rethlake said.

Because of the delay in shipping, the nearly $3,000 worth of exercise equipment bound for Iraq won't be used by those for whom it was originally intended.

Maj. Clay Tipton, Faulk's son-in-law, was scheduled to land back in the States the same morning the truck arrived to haul the cargo to North Carolina.

Faulk said the equipment will now be used by the 3rd Battalion 7th Marines and remain in Iraq until all the troops are home.

''Regardless of how we might feel about the politics, we all support the troops,'' Jack Trevino said. ``They need to know that.''

Ellie