PDA

View Full Version : Sketches of the 14 Marines killed in August blast

thedrifter
10-02-05, 04:57 AM
Sketches of the 14 Marines killed in August blast
By The Associated Press

A look at the 14 Marines who died Aug. 3 when their vehicle was hit by an explosive during combat operations south of Haditha, Iraq.

Assigned to 1st Squad, 3rd Platoon, Lima Company, 3rd Battalion, 25th Regiment:

Lance Cpl. Timothy M. Bell Jr., 22, of West Chester, Ohio

Bell had wanted to be a Marine since he was 6. His bedroom was filled with Marine posters, and even a camouflage Marine blanket covered his bed.

When his parents took him to deploy for training with his unit, he had just one message for them, said his stepmother, Vivian Bell.

"He just said, 'This is what I was born to do,'" she said.

Always protective of his three younger sisters, Bell joined the Marines in part because he wanted to protect them.

"It's very important for me that everybody knows that he did this for them," said his father, Timothy Michael Bell Sr. "My son was the last of the John Waynes, but tougher."

Lance Cpl. Eric J. Bernholtz, 23, of Grove City, Ohio

Bernholtz's parents remembered their son as a "constant joy" in a video played at his funeral. Even when he broke curfew as a high school student, his parents said their son could have them laughing within minutes with his goofy sense of humor and memorable smile.

Adam Bernholtz, who is deaf, gave his younger brother's eulogy in sign language. As he finished, he signed: "I love you. I can't wait to run and hug you."

Lance Cpl. Nicholas William B. Bloem, 20, of Belgrade, Mont.

From an early age Bloem was certain about his career plans. During his first conversation with his high-school sweetheart, he said he wanted to be a Marine.

"It was definitely his calling in life. I don't think he could have asked for a better way to die," said Kacie Ouano.

Bloem planned to enroll at Montana State University and dreamt of eventually becoming a senior officer in the Marine Corps.

"It appealed to that part of him that wanted to overcome something that was seemingly insurmountable," said his father, Al Bloem.

Lance Cpl. Michael J. Cifuentes, 25, of Oxford, Ohio

At the middle school where he taught, Cifuentes' arrival as a substitute teacher was met with cheers from teachers and students alike.

Principal Sharon Lytle remembered Cifuentes as an "excellent sub" who exhibited a special willingness to help students requiring home instruction.

"He was always willing to take the toughest cases," she said. "He was a real team player."

A 2002 graduate of Miami University, Cifuentes enrolled in a mathematics education graduate program before his unit was activated in January.

Cifuentes is survived by his parents, Gregory and Carolyn, and his fiancee, Tara Reynolds.

Lance Cpl. Christopher Dyer, 19, of Evendale, Ohio

Dyer graduated with honors last year from a Cincinnati-area high school, where he played the viola in the school orchestra. He had planned to attend Ohio State University in January.

His father said he joined the Marines because of his sense of duty and the challenge to be "one of the best." John Dyer said he and his wife, Kathy, saw a mature and proud son when they visited him during his pre-deployment leave in Las Vegas.

"He said that he couldn't be happier with the way his life had worked out to this point," his father said.

Lance Cpl. Grant B. Fraser, 22, of Anchorage, Alaska

Fraser had a wide range of interests, from acting and playing the piano to sports such as mountain biking, scuba diving and tennis. But a defining moment was his decision to join the Marines in 2003.

"The day Grant enlisted was a watershed day for all of us," said his godmother, Lynn Manley. "What a happy guy he was that day. I saw him after boot camp and there was a tree trunk where his long graceful neck used to be. Grant was exactly where he wanted to be."

Sgt. Justin F. Hoffman, 27, of Delaware, Ohio

Hoffman's mom chuckled at his quirks: the playful voicemail messages left on her cell phone, the endless online chats, his curious ability to eat mealworms at pet shops.

"Justin was more or less a reality show," Carole Hoffman said of her son, who graduated from Ohio State University and worked in information systems at a health care services company.

Hoffman's six year commitment to the Marine Reserves was up last year, but when he learned his unit was going to be activated, he signed up again.

Lately, he had enlisted family members to scout for a diamond ring.

"He teased about proposing as soon as he got off the plane," said his girlfriend, Teri Price. "I can't imagine my future without him. I loved him more than anything."

Cpl. David Kenneth J. Kreuter, 26, of Cincinnati

Kreuter's fellow Marines remembered him for his constant jokes: Sometimes he would ask them to take photos of him politely knocking on doors, an ironic contrast to the standard photos of Marines barging into suspected homes.

"That's how David would want people to remember him," said Eric Wiete, a friend in Ohio. "You couldn't help but think he was hilarious."

Kreuter earned his bachelor's degree in criminal justice one year ago from the University of Cincinnati. He is survived by his wife, Chrystina, and his son, Christian, who was born during his deployment.

Lance Cpl. Aaron H. Reed, 21, of Chillicothe, Ohio

Reed's friends all remembered him for his laugh and smile, which would immediately be followed by him pushing up his glasses.

"He was always somebody who could make you smile," said Billie Baxter, a friend. "And he was always really talkative."

In high school, Reed was senior class president who ran on the track and cross country teams.

"He was a great cook," recalled friend Abbey Coates. "Especially breakfast _ eggs, bacon, sausage and gravy, biscuits, and he used garlic in everything. Then he left his mess for us to clean up," she said with a laugh.

Lance Cpl. Edward A. Schroeder II, 23, of Columbus, Ohio

Schroeder attended Sunday school every week, and he also had a wicked sense of humor _ one time he went to a Halloween party in a Tonya Harding costume, complete with a lead pipe.

Heavily involved in his church youth group, Schroeder often volunteered at soup kitchens, was a counselor at Boy Scout camp, a lifeguard and a volunteer emergency medical technician.

"I just remember him always giving back to others," said Ty Monk, a friend. "He didn't pick and choose, either. He did what everyone else didn't want to, and he did it with a smile."

Lance Cpl. William B. Wightman, 22, of Sabina, Ohio

When 6-year-old Kelly Crowe was scared about taking a dip in the Atlantic, her 5-year-old friend, Brett Wightman, said they would take that first splash together.

"I never felt safer in my life," Crowe said during Wightman's funeral. "You were always my protector. Now you are my guardian angel."

Wightman dreamt of being a Marine as a young boy. In high school he was an athlete, selected prom king, and enlisted in the Marines even before he graduated.

"He would play with those G.I. Joes and he'd say, 'I'm going to grow up and be one of these guys,'" said his aunt, Missy Luttrell. "All of his life, that's all he would talk about."

___

Assigned to 3rd Battalion, 25th Regiment:

Sgt. Bradley J. Harper, 25, of Dresden, Ohio

A police officer in Virginia Beach, Va., Harper said his deployment was a chance to help bring security to Iraq.

"It's two different worlds," Harper said before he left. "This is my chance to go, to do my part. The sooner you get over there, the sooner you get back."

"He was exactly what we wanted in an officer and a citizen," said Harry McBrien, the recruiter for the Virginia Beach Police Department. "He was an all-around awesome guy and a real go-getter."

Harper is survived by his wife, Kendra.

Cpl. David S. Stewart, 24, of Bogalusa, La.

Stewart was committed to the military _ he volunteered for his second tour of duty in Iraq.

In 2003, Stewart was awarded the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal after he risked his life while his armored vehicle was under attack. The weapon jammed and Stewart climbed to the top turret while under fire to repair it. A few minutes later, he did it again.

"He was a Marine's Marine," Staff Sgt. Jerod Murphy said during Stewart's funeral.

Stewart is survived by his parents, a brother and sister, and his fiancee, Andrea Burkenstock of Lafayette, La.

Lance Cpl. Kevin G. Waruinge, 22, of Tampa, Fla.

Waruinge grew up in Kenya and moved to Tampa in 1998 with his parents. He had recently become a U.S. citizen and hoped to pursue a career in criminal justice _ but first he wanted to be a Marine, joining shortly after he graduated as an honor student from high school.

"He just couldn't wait to be a Marine," said the Rev. Bruce Turner, pastor of West Gate Baptist Church. "That's what he wanted."

"He was an African boy who was all-American."

Waruinge previously served one tour in Iraq, returning home to resume studies at Pensacola Christian College. But earlier this year he volunteered to return for yet another tour.

"He believed in this country and freedom and rights," said family friend Elaine Pavan.

Ellie