PDA

View Full Version : just a question

Malace
09-24-05, 08:12 AM
just a quick question - who are the marines who repel out of helicopters? is there a specific job for that like air assault, or is it just infantry? what are the qualifications for this? any more info would be very helpful. thanks

Phantom Blooper
09-24-05, 08:21 AM
I repelled out of a helo years back and was attached to a line with a D-ring,which was called spy-rigging. I am a grunt. I should have stayed on the ground but....all in all in was fun and definitely a learning experience. It cost the USMC to much to have that kind of training all the time so I believe that it was mostly reserved for a recon unit for quick insert.

Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall

:marine:

yellowwing
09-24-05, 08:47 AM
HRST Marines jump into tight spaces
by Sgt. Tracee L. Jackson (http://192.156.19.109/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/0/C20ECF04D435B2838525701F006AB310?opendocument)

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. (June 8, 2005) -- Marines from the Special Operations Training Group honed the fast roping skills of 19 Non-Commissioned Officers and Staff Non-Commissioned Officers from the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit at the Military Operations on Urban Terrain training area here June 6 as part of a two-week Helicopter Rope Suspension Techniques course. The HRST course emphasizes specific operational needs concerning the insertion and extraction of Marines from tight spaces via fast rope or rappel and Special Patrol Insertion and Extraction equipment.

“This training gives the commander a way to insert Marines, whether by fast rope or rappel, and the SPIE is a way to get Marines out of the Landing Zone in a situation where the bird cannot land,” said Sgt. Daniel S. Standridge, a HRST Master instructor and of Sheridan, Ark. “If the bird cannot sit down, they rappel or fast rope, and if the bird can’t sit down to get them out, they’ll SPIE rig out of there.”

“It gives the Marines confidence and someone has to deal with a rigged-up bird, and these Marines are the ones certified to send them out. It gives them something to use when they get back to the fleet,” said Standridge.

“The most important thing to remember is to be observant of the students and know the area you’re going into.” agreed Sgt. Christopher McCain, also an instructor at the course, “We have to train them as much as possible. That way, when they go into combat, they don’t forget something that’s very important. We correct them if they make a mistake so they don’t make that mistake in a real life situation.”

Throughout the course, the students learn 12 knots, 11 different systems that may be used to insert Marines and how to prepare various helicopters for the jump. This knowledge enables Marines to go back to their parent command certified to operate insertion and extraction missions with their units safely and effectively.

Staff Sergeant Rogelio Loera Jr. is a platoon sergeant that took part in the training exercise. “This is a good course. It teaches you the basics and then you can implement the basics into what your actual missions are, especially fast roping to the top of a building,” he said.

Loera expressed enthusiasm in his recent training. “It’s a good course. You can bring it back to your units and be an asset to whoever you belong to.” Jumping out of helicopters all in a day’s work for a Marine with the 22nd MEU. However, Loera commented, “It’s a rush every time you do it.”

CrazyBrave83
09-24-05, 01:00 PM
That's some intense stuff...the one question I've always had about SPIE rigs is, do the Marines hang off of the chopper when it gets out of the LZ or do they get pulled in by a winch?

Wyoming
09-24-05, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by CrazyBrave83
That's some intense stuff...the one question I've always had about SPIE rigs is, do the Marines hang off of the chopper when it gets out of the LZ or do they get pulled in by a winch?

Depends - Both

Ideally, the extraction would be brought into the helicopter while hovering.

However, you are a very big target, just sitting there hovering.

At times, the pickup would be made and the helicopter would begin moving out when the 'passenger' was a bit over half way up.

Not a good time to be had by anyone, but the idea was to make it out of the LZ in one piece.

It sucked and worked at the same time.

CrazyBrave83
09-24-05, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the hasty reply, Cpl.

Appreciated.

And what's up with the black boots? I thought that was against regulation now? I know when I went to boot camp, the MARPAT and Tan boots were in use throughout the Corps, but the old pattern and black boots were still being allowed for those who hadn't switched over yet. I could've sworn the time period for that had passed, however...unless that's an older picture.

Joseph P Carey
09-24-05, 02:44 PM
I don't know! I was a passenger to the battlefield on three of those things (helicopters) when they went down; I think one was shot down, and the other two just gave up the ghost in mid-landing. There is nothing more thrilling than falling like a rock to the ground below in a metal frame; not to mention trying to get out of the way of the thing, when you have jumped free of it in full equipment, hoping that the blades don't get you, or the damn thing does not roll over on you, or it doesn’t burst into flames near you.

The rope thing is great when you are a Commando unit landing on top of a building, or when you absolutely have to penetrate a jungle canopy, but, if they wish to get a rope down to you, and there is no obstructions, it would be just as easy, and faster, to hover three feet off the ground, and allow the team to jump into the Helicopter, and you don't leave targets hanging around like marionettes in the wind.

Some things are exciting, and some are stupid, and some are both!

Nagalfar
09-24-05, 03:29 PM
I heard a very interesting and funny story, if it is true or not I dont know, knowing the guy who told me it, I would tend to believe there is more than a lil bit of truth to it.. after having most of one of his butt cheeks shot to hell and back, while spending lots of time on his stomach taking a clean sheet break, a new patient was put in the rack next to him.. he said the guy was all beat up and had a green tinge to lots of his skin areas.. when the guy next to him woke up.. they started talking, and he asked the guy whats with the green color, what happened.. the guy said, he was gettings SPIEed out of a hot area.. the Huey took some bad hits.. and started moving before they were clear of the foliage... seems him and a few others were dragged though the jungle.. and the green was the chlorophyll that had been WHIPPED into his skin, as he said.. how the F*** would you like to run through the jungle at 70KPH.... you would be green too.. now leave me alone.

CrazyBrave83
09-24-05, 03:37 PM
I think the worst part of it all would be the knowledge that you COULDN'T stop it worth a damn...

Hanging there looking at the canopy..."Oh sh-" WHAP WHAP WHAP WHAP.

USMCgrunt0331
09-24-05, 08:01 PM
You have to be an NCO or above to go thru the actual HRST course, no waivers or anything accepted. If you went Security Forces and got in FAST Co. you may get to do some fast roping though, we're gonna be doing it in a few mos. Not even all FAST platoons get to do it though (although all of them should). But bottom line is, your decision on what MOS to get shouldn't at all be made by whether or not you'll get to fast-rope or not, you shouldn't base your MOS decison off of one thing you'll get to do that'll only last a few hrs. when that decision is gonna affect the next 4 or 5 yrs of your Marine Corps career.

Malace
09-24-05, 10:22 PM
thanks for all of the info. i am not basing my choice of MOS on the repelling, i was just curious if there was a special air assault program (because i know that other armed forces have one). my brother just got back from the ghan and finished his four years of active duty as a marine. i would like to go infantry anyways. well thank you all