PDA

View Full Version : Don't get Stuck on Stupid

Wyoming
09-21-05, 07:58 AM
New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin held a press conference a little bit ago, and started losing control to a media pool assembled that was showing signs of panic, due to the previous incompetence in the region by the local and state government.

Lt. Gen. Russel Honore stepped in and literally took over. Here's what he had to say:

Honore: And Mr. Mayor, let's go back, because I can see right now, we're setting this up as he said, he said, we said. All right? We are not going to go, by order of the mayor and the governor, and open the convention center for people to come in. There are buses there. Is that clear to you? Buses parked. There are 4,000 troops there. People come, they get on a bus, they get on a truck, they move on. Is that clear? Is that clear to the public?

Female reporter: Where do they move on...

Honore: That's not your business.

Male reporter: But General, that didn't work the first time...

Honore: Wait a minute. It didn't work the first time. This ain't the first time. Okay? If...we don't control Rita, you understand? So there are a lot of pieces of it that's going to be worked out. You got good public servants working through it. Let's get a little trust here, because you're starting to act like this is your problem. You are carrying the message, okay? What we're going to do is have the buses staged. The initial place is at the convention center. We're not going to announce other places at this time, until we get a plan set, and we'll let people know where those locations are, through the government, and through public announcements. Right now, to handle the number of people that want to leave, we've got the capacity. You will come to the convention center. There are soldiers there from the 82nd Airborne, and from the Louisiana National Guard. People will be told to get on the bus, and we will take care of them. And where they go will be dependent on the capacity in this state. We've got our communications up. And we'll tell them where to go. And when they get there, they'll be able to get a chance, an opportunity to get registered, and so they can let their families know where they are. But don't start panic here. Okay? We've got a location. It is in the front of the convention center, and that's where we will use to migrate people from it, into the system.

Male reporter: General Honore, we were told that Berman Stadium on the west bank would be another staging area...

Honore: Not to my knowledge. Again, the current place, I just told you one time, is the convention center. Once we complete the plan with the mayor, and is approved by the governor, then we'll start that in the next 12-24 hours. And we understand that there's a problem in getting communications out. That's where we need your help. But let's not confuse the questions with the answers. Buses at the convention center will move our citizens, for whom we have sworn that we will support and defend...and we'll move them on. Let's not get stuck on the last storm. You're asking last storm questions for people who are concerned about the future storm. Don't get stuck on stupid, reporters. We are moving forward. And don't confuse the people please. You are part of the public message. So help us get the message straight. And if you don't understand, maybe you'll confuse it to the people. That's why we like follow-up questions. But right now, it's the convention center, and move on.

Male reporter: General, a little bit more about why that's happening this time, though, and did not have that last time...

Honore: You are stuck on stupid. I'm not going to answer that question. We are going to deal with Rita. This is public information that people are depending on the government to put out. This is the way we've got to do it. So please. I apologize to you, but let's talk about the future. Rita is happening. And right now, we need to get good, clean information out to the people that they can use. And we can have a conversation on the side about the past, in a couple of months.

I think the General just started a movement, and he may not even realize it. Every time a reporter, in any situation, starts spinning, or completely misses the point, they need to be peppered with, "Don't get stuck on stupid."

I'd pay money to see David Gregory in the White House Press Corps foaming at the mouth over something trivial Scott McClellan said, and have McClellan say, "David, you're stuck on stupid. I'm not going to answer that."

I'd have fallen out of my chair if John Roberts would have listened to Joe Biden ramble on, and said, "Don't get stuck on stupid, Senator."

I can see the bumper stickers now. I can even see those stupid rubber wristbands with DGSOS etched in them.

I love General Honore.

GySgtRet
09-21-05, 08:08 AM
I think that it is clear to the Mayor of New Orleans who is in charge. It will be dealt with because General Honore is in charge...!!! David Gregory disappoints me. He is a great humanitarian but...

Nagalfar
09-21-05, 08:25 AM
A welcome change.. a General who is not playing the politican game, and not caring what the press says about him as long as they get his message out... Stupid is, as Stupid does! LMAO... Thanx Lt. Gen. Russel Honore you are a very welcome change.

Toby M
09-21-05, 10:21 AM
I love it...if the elected leadership continues to screw things up, bring in the military with proven skills! They don't have to play "kiss a**" games with the public and news media during this type of emergency. They just want to get the job done!!!!

GySgtRet
09-21-05, 11:08 AM
R Lee Ermy would be my vote. Get some Gunny...!!!!

Joseph P Carey
09-21-05, 01:10 PM
I can assure you Toby M, being uder a military government is not 'peaches and cream', and not everything goes great under miltary rule, and there is not less corruption or stupidity of the people in...

Wyoming
09-21-05, 07:28 PM
I've got the MP3 audio file (mp3) file of the Generals Q&A session, but ain't got a clue as to how to attach it as it appears that it doen't fall under the following category - Valid file extensions: gif jpg png txt zip bmp jpeg

I can email it to someone if they know how and want to attach it here.

MillRatUSMC
09-21-05, 10:36 PM
bigalholmes,
Why don't you upload that MP3 to the music downloads?
http://www.leatherneck.com/download.php?op=viewdownload&cid=1
Than all we have to do is download it.
It will save you a great deal of work.
IMHO

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

MillRatUSMC
09-22-05, 10:57 PM
http://www.geocities.com/millrat_99/dget.jpg

My contribution to "Don't get Stuck on Stupid!"

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

yellowwing
09-23-05, 05:35 AM
You got to give it to 0-9 Pay Grades! They really don't give a hoot if they make 0-10, they are totally free to do their job! Damn everyone else, including silly-ass 24 year old 'news reporters' that want to question him on his sacred duty!

Semper Fi General Honore!

Ed Palmer
09-23-05, 01:56 PM
Here;s the reason the Mayor of New Orleans didnt use the school buses, he wanted to feed his pet. <br />
<br />
found in New Orleans swimming down the street. 21 FT long, 4,500 lbs, around 80 years old...

Ed Palmer
09-23-05, 02:09 PM
It sounded good any way

http://www.snopes.com/katrina/photos/crocodile.asp

Joseph P Carey
09-23-05, 03:29 PM
Ah! Yes Ed! I can just see this creature swimming down the street in NO looking for the Mayor who balls he ate! I can just see him chasing Captain Hookless now!

When I first looked at the photo and the title, I said to myself, There was never a Croc that big found in the USA before. I am glad you proved me correct in your second article.

There have been all sorts of stories that have come from NO lately, even including a story that the National Guard (LANG) blew up the levee to save the rich white section of town. You never know what is to be printed next!

Ed Palmer
09-23-05, 05:11 PM
Key word in the paragraph (crocodile) NOT FOUND IN THE USA running wild we have gators here

GySgtRet
09-23-05, 10:13 PM
Ed,

You have Gators in Kansas...???

LOL

Semper Fidelis

yellowwing
09-24-05, 07:30 AM
Alligator with Lemon and Wine Sauce
*Take a shot of corn liquor

Cut alligator meat into bite-size pieces; sprinkle with salt and red and black pepper. Place alligator in a large saucepan, cover with water and add Old Bay Seasoning. Bring quickly to a boil; boil 2 to 3 minutes. Remove gator from liquid (reserve liquid), drain, and let meat cool. Dip meat in yogurt and then in flour.

*Take a shot of corn liquor

Heat oil with garlic; remove garlic and lightly brown meat. Transfer meat to paper towels to drain; keep warm until sauce is
done.

*Take another shot of corn liquor

Arrange gator meat on plate and serve with the sauce for dipping.

*Take a double shot of corn liquor

To make sauce: In a small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup reserved liquid and white wine; stir in cornstarch. Heat and stir until mixture starts to thicken. Add lemon juice and cook until thickened.

*Take another double shot of corn liquor

Alligator recipe serves 4 to 6, if you're still standing!

Hey wait a minute...another mention of gators in Kansas?:confused:

Ed Palmer
09-24-05, 08:10 AM
Posted on Thu, Jul. 14, 2005

YESSSSSSSSSS

Man says Cheney alligator is lost pet

BY MICHAEL PEARCE

The Wichita Eagle

Wildlife officials say one wayward alligator has gone home, but another may still be roaming near Cheney Reservoir.

Last Friday The Eagle reported that a 3- to 4-foot alligator was caught by Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks officials near the entrance of Cheney State Park two days earlier.

The animal was taken to the Great Plains Nature Center, then transferred to Central Riverside Park.

Bob Gress, Nature Center director, said he got a phone call at 7:15 a.m. on Friday from a man claiming the alligator was his. He told Gress he lived near the state park entrance where the alligator was found, near the east side of Cheney's dam.

"He said it was the night of the big storm (July 3), and he'd been keeping alligators in an above-ground pool," Gress said. "During the storm the pool collapsed, the water drained out and with it went the alligators."

The man told Gress that three alligators had escaped, and that he'd found one, meaning that the third is still missing.

When he picked the alligator up at the park, the owner told park staff he was trying to avoid media attention. He didn't return repeated calls from The Eagle. The man told Gress he had lived in Florida, where he learned to like alligators. It is legal to keep alligators in Kansas.

It was the second time in about three weeks alligators have been found in the Wichita area. The other was captured in a residential neighborhood in south Wichita. The man told Gress the first alligator was not his.

Reports of alligators randomly come from outside their native areas. Central Arkansas and extreme southeast Oklahoma are the closest natural alligator populations to Kansas.

Unlike Cheney's alligators, many are intentionally released when they get too large to be confined. It's doubtful the cold-blooded animals could survive a Kansas winter.

Jerry Schmidt, Cheney State Park manager, said he's received no reports of another alligator being seen at the park this week.

Though he said the odds of finding such an animal would be slim, he said anyone who sees an alligator should contact department officials.

Even if it is around, he doesn't see it as a threat to the safety of campers and anglers as long as they leave it alone.

"When we went after the other one it really wasn't aggressive, it was just trying to get away," Schmidt said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reach Michael Pearce at 268-6382 or mpearce@wichitaeagle.com.

Wyoming
09-24-05, 08:42 AM
This from the editor of my twice weekly newspaper -

The bad news is that by Friday Hurricane Rita had brought another helping of storm surge to already soggy New Orleans, breaching levees stressed or damaged by Katrina and pouring water back into the city. The good news is that there were few residents on hand to be at risk.

There was little good news about Rita’s impact in the Houston-Galveston area as Rita approached Friday, except that more than a million residents were estimated to have evacuated by Friday.

That exercise had its own frustrations as fleeing residents experienced near-gridlock on outbound freeways for 12 hours or more, many running out of gas or turning back in desperation. Television news cameras focused on the stalled exodus for two days, but none offered any insight into what was occurring—or not occurring—at the front of the line to cause the jam.

Earlier this week as he took over recovery operations in New Orleans, Lt. Gen. Russel Honore admonished reporters not to “get stuck on stupid.” It ought to become the national standard in reporting on all disasters and emergencies. But it did not stop hand-wringing, blame-seeking newscasters on Friday from asking breathlessly, “Can ‘they’ prevent Rita from causing the kind of damage at Houston that Katrina caused in New Orleans?” The answer, obviously, is a flat “no.” “They” can minimize human casualties, make prudent preparations and be prepared to provide quick rescue, restore services, provide food and medicine and expedite assistance—and they have, much as Mississippi authorities did for Katrina—but the hurricane’s force will be undeterred.

Demands for hearings, investigations and inquisitions into Katrina have already arisen from grandstanders more interested in politics than substance. These bear-baitings will likely occur—and just as likely provide as little useful information and valuable guidance for the future as the politicized 9/11 hearings where panel Democrats subverted the process to vilify George Bush and protect Bill Clinton.

But there are real lessons to be learned and applied by studying these experiences and their impact: how to evacuate masses more efficiently; reviewing engineering and construction standards for emergency shelters, public buildings, levees, bridges roads and railways; purpose, design and risks of flood control and waterway transportation systems; redundancy and dispersion of critical resources and industries, such as refineries; incentives for more energy efficient cars, conservation of energy and alternative energy sources—while at the same time accelerating oil exploration, opening the ANWR for drilling, building more refineries, simplifying environmentally dictated gas-mix requirements and renewing nuclear power plants. There are simple details which could be important, too—such as the best place to locate emergency generators and modular construction of power circuits in hospitals according to most likely catastrophic threats.

All of these things are available for evaluation and implementation—invaluable assets for the safety of Americans everywhere, and not just for hurricanes—but they won’t be identified or put to use if the political left and the press stay stuck on stupid and insist on a path of demagoguery and propaganda. Nor will they emerge if the public allows itself to be gulled into churlishness by a politically motivated press.—SMG

Ed Palmer
09-25-05, 02:15 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Ed15Palmer/mpokatrinatee4le.jpg