PDA

View Full Version : Hispanic immigrant serves proudly in Iraq

thedrifter
09-20-05, 06:52 AM
Hispanic immigrant serves proudly in Iraq
2nd Marine Aircraft Wing
Story by Cpl. Cullen J. Tiernan

AL ASAD, IRAQ (Sept. 20, 2005) -- Hispanic Heritage Month begins on September 15, the anniversary of independence for five Latin American countries. It’s a time to reflect on the ingenuity, creativity, cultural and political experiences of Hispanic Americans and recognize the achievements of a people who have contributed so much to U.S. culture.

Corporal Kevin Pineda, an administrative clerk with Marine Wing Headquarters Squadron-2, is an embodiment of the contributions Hispanics have made to U.S. society as he proudly serves at Al Asad, Iraq.

Born in Tegucilpa, Honduras, in 1985, he moved to the United States when he was only 1 year old.

“My family moved to Miami in search of the American dream and a better life for them and their children,” said Pineda, the older brother of two sisters and two brothers. “I love America, and I love my Hispanic culture. We are a very vibrant, happy people.”

Although not yet a U.S. citizen, Pineda said he plans on becoming a citizen because he wants to have a choice, a word in who governs, a right he believes many Americans take for granted.
“I joined the Marine Corps in search of discipline, to become the quintessential Marine,” said Pineda. “I also felt a sense of patriotism, and I wanted to promote democracy throughout the world and help others to live in freedom.”

Pineda dismisses all of the everyday comforts he has given up as small sacrifices, and said he is not intimidated by the threats of the terrorists.

“As long as the Marine Corps is here, things will be taken care of,” said Pineda. “The first day I got here we experienced IDF (indirect fire), but you learn to get your flak and kevlar on very quickly. In Iraq, you make sure every Marine is taken care of, regardless of where they work.”

According to Cpl. Claywood Baker, an administrate clerk who works with Pineda in their office at Al Asad, Pineda is a great guy to work with who looks out for everyone in the squadron and is very proud of his Hispanic heritage.

“When he is around other Hispanic people speaking Spanish, it’s obvious they all like him,” said Baker. “I’ve heard him talking about his mother before and I know that she and his entire family are very important to him. I think it’s very impressive his fighting to defend the United States and he’s not even a citizen.”

Being deployed to Iraq, Pineda said he has enjoyed being exposed to a different culture and different kinds of people. He has undertaken new responsibilities as a non commissioned officer, always being alert, keeping morale high and learning what it’s like to deploy.

“I’ve prayed every night since I’ve gotten here,” said Pineda. “I have a very organized schedule here. I work nine hour days, then go the gym for another three hours everyday but Sunday, the Sabbath.”

Pineda said his family is a little worried, but they understand why he and his fellow Marines are here and are proud he is protecting the nation.

“My family is the number one thing I miss,” said Pineda. “Being Hispanic, family is very, very important to me. There is a lot about our culture, our history that people don’t know.
We are a very proud people, and pride plays a big part in our characters.”

There are more than 35 million people who have identified themselves as Hispanic or Latino on the 2000 Census, and Pineda is a proud Hispanic, Marine, who looks forward, with great pride, to the day he becomes a U.S. citizen.

Ellie