PDA

View Full Version : Why Tehran Hopes For War

thedrifter
09-19-05, 06:34 AM
WHY TEHRAN HOPES FOR WAR
By AMIR TAHERI

INCREDIBLE though it may sound, there are signs that Tehran may be preparing for a military confrontation with the United States — and has convinced itself that it can win.

The first sign came last June, with the election of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as president of the Islamic Republic, an event that completed the conquest of all levers of power by the most radical elements of the establishment.

Since then, the revolutionary factions have conducted a little-publicized purge of the military, the security apparatus, the civil service and state-owned corporations and media.

Among those replaced: the defense minister, the commander-in-chief of the regular army and his four deputies, 11 senior commanders of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) and five commanders of the paramilitary Mobilization of the Dispossessed — plus the intelligence and security minister and the interior minister (who controls the police and the gendarmerie). Also noteworthy is the appointment of military officers to posts normally held by civilians, such as governors, mayors and directors of major public corporations.

But perhaps the surest sign is the military buildup under way in the five provinces bordering Iraq. The region, with a population of 20 million, has been put under the control of the IRGC, which has also taken over units of the regular army (including the 88th Division) and the border police. Iran is estimated to have 250,000 troops in the area, its biggest military buildup since the 1988 end of the Iran-Iraq war.

One of the first acts of the new Ahmadinejad-led Cabinet was to approve a $700 million "emergency" fund to be spent at the discretion of "Supreme Guide" Ayatollah Ali Khamenei for "sacred defense purposes."

The new administration is also speeding up defense spending. The five-year plan approved by Khamenei last year aimed at doubling the military budget by 2010 — but, thanks to rising oil revenues, most of it could now be done by 2008.

In recent weeks, top regime figures — including Khamenei and Ahmadinejad — have made a series of unscheduled visits to Mashad, Iran's second-largest city. One curious fact revealed in these visits is that a bunker-like structure to house the "supreme guide" is being finished near the holy shrine of Reza, the Eighth Imam. The complex could also house the top echelon of government, including the president, the Cabinet and members of parliament.

Mashad is 600 miles from Tehran and as far as possible from U.S. firepower in Iraq and the Persian Gulf. America is also expected to shrink from attacks against the Mashad bunker for fear of collateral damage to the "holy shrine" of the imam a few hundred yards away.

One may guess the outline of Tehran's scenario for what it believes is an inevitable clash with the United States.

Suppose that the tussle over Iran's nuclear plans goes to the Security Council — which fails to take a decision, thanks to Russian and Chinese vetoes, and America (after much huffing and puffing) launches airstrikes against Iran's nuclear installations.

Iran's retaliation could begin with orders to the forces it controls inside Iraq to attack U.S. and British troops. The Lebanese branch of Hezbollah would launch massive rocket attacks against Israel, while Hamas and Islamic Jihad (whose leaders spent the past month in Tehran, meeting Khamenei and his aides) would begin suicide operations against Israel from Jerusalem and the West Bank.

Iran-allied Hazara Shiites might begin strikes against Kabul, the Afghan capital, from the west, while Pushtun warlord Gulbuddin Hekmatyar and the remnants of the Taliban attack across all of Afghanistan.

U.S./U.K. forces might answer with a conventional attack out of Iraq. But the Iranians could retreat to the Zagross mountain range, the first line of Iran's natural defences. The IRGC is now building several new bases to bolster this line. The bases would assure supplies for a quarter of a million troops, and provide shelter for half a million refugees from the border.

The Americans could attempt to "decapitate" Iran with cruise missiles against "regime targets" in Tehran. But the regime would already be in Mashad, protected by the Eighth Imam.

Meanwhile, Iran could close the Strait of Hormuz — thereby choking off the world supply of oil, which would surely top $100 a barrel, plunging the global economy into a crisis.

The U.N. Security Council would surely meet in emergency, perhaps forcing the U.S. to veto a vote for a ceasefire. Global TV networks would air images of "indiscriminate carnage" and "wanton destruction" in Iranian cities, while marches in Washington and dozens of other cities would feature Hollywood celebrities and others calling for impeachment.

At this point, the Iranian strategy/fantasy would expect the U.S. media and Congress to revolt against President Bush and his "pre-emptive" strategy — obliging Bush to accept a U.N.-brokered cease-fire and withdraw his forces, and the Americans to leave Iraq and Afghanistan.

The victory would bring the Islamic Republic new domestic legitimacy, allowing it proceed to crush its internal opponents as "enemies of the nation and of Islam." It could also speed up its nuclear-weapons and long-range missile programs without being harassed by Washington.

At the next stage of what Ahmadinejad sees as "a clash of civilizations," Iran would become "the core power" of a new "Islamic pole" in a multipolar system with China, the European Union and Latin America (under the leadership of Venezuela's Hugo Chavez) emerging as other "poles."

The Islamic Republic would then be free to proceed to address what Khamenei has described as its "greatest historic task": the destruction of Israel.

Sounds outlandish? Well, it is. The Islamic Republic is a fragile structure in a zone of political earthquakes. Logically, the last thing it should want is war.

Nevertheless, former President Muhammad Khatami has warned that Tehran may be boxing itself into a position in which it will either have to surrender or fight.

Iranian author Amir Taheri is a member of Benador Associates.

Ellie

GySgtRet
09-19-05, 10:42 AM
All it would take right this very minute is for one of these cooks is to launch a missle attack into Strait of Hormuz a well aimed round into a super tanker would cripple the shippment of oil for a long time.

Nagalfar
09-19-05, 11:16 AM
I always thought we should have taken out Iran first.. it has the largest Pro-Western population in the middle east.. there are a great many Iranians that remember what freedom is.. and still want it without Islamic Rule.. as bad as it would be for a few months, I think taking out Iran would be about as hard as getting rid of Sadam.. it would sure save a lot of Marines in Iraq, I think with Iran gone, Syria would be happy to just sit down, shut it mouth and mind its own business. I am very sure it would be a much more peaceful neighborhood with the thugs in Iran taking a vacation in the grey bar hotel next to Sadams suite.

GySgtRet
09-19-05, 11:45 AM
Well the Marines call it "STANSVILLE" for a good reason I think. They all seemed to be involved in shaking things up in the free world. I agree with you on this one hole heartedley. Maybe both should have been targets. Bin-Ladin hides like a coward and doesn't seem to be able to found. By harboring maybe they think that makes them more in the grace of ala (sp). I am not targeting Muslims just the extremests in their sect.

Joseph P Carey
09-19-05, 12:04 PM
Don't underestimate your enemy! This is not the same Iran that fought Saddam's Forces to a draw in an Eight Year war. This is a vastly improved Army with an Officer Corps that it did not have during the Iran-Iraq War. It has Air Defenses and Air Power, and it has been preparing for war since the President Carter embarassment! Do not take them lightly! Their whole country is a trap! We should have taken them out when we had a chance to do so.

I am not saying we would not defeat them, but we would have to have eyes in the back of our head when pushing forward. Movement through their mountans would be slow and causualty prone, and their greatest ally would be those in the USA, as it was in the Vietnam War. It is not all that easy; it never was! I don't think the American public has the heart for a real war, and certainly, the US Congress does not!

GySgtRet
09-19-05, 12:29 PM
Joseph P Carey,

All of this said then I wonder why the US and its Allies are just sitting and wathcing all of this hardening of the Iranian forces happening right under their noses...??? This just seems to be real stupid to me...

Semper Fidelis

Joseph P Carey
09-19-05, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by GySgtRet
Joseph P Carey,

All of this said then I wonder why the US and its Allies are just sitting and wathcing all of this hardening of the Iranian forces happening right under their noses...??? This just seems to be real stupid to me...

Semper Fidelis

Gunny,

It is not stupidity! It is reality! Where would we get the troops to go with us? And, How would we be able to continue and attack with the Congressional mood the way it is? Even if we are right in doing so, we would still be damned in the end! We can not even be sure that our own back is covered in this situation!

We did a great thing in Iraq and in Afghanistan, and we are still getting grief!

The Army that moves forward without the backing of its own government is destined to be defeated, not by the opposed enemy, but by the enemy within!

Our Congress defeat a great Army and Marine Corps in South Vietnam where the eney could not! It took away our bullets and our beans, and did the same to our ally, hense, the enemy within!

GySgtRet
09-19-05, 01:20 PM
Very true. The enemy within sure is reaking havoc with the blood, sweat being shed in STANSVILLE.

Nagalfar
09-19-05, 02:56 PM
Gunny.. I have a thought on OBL.. I think we know right were he is hiding, but we dont want to kill or capture him.. he is worth a LOT more to us as being the impotent has been figurehead who has been reduced to hiding in caves, and afraid to even get before his buddies at Al Jeezera and make even a short statement.. a live impotent has been leader, is a lot better than a dead maytyr.. one we have all but silenced, while there other we could only react too.

GySgtRet
09-19-05, 03:48 PM
Nagalfar,

So a figurehead isn't as potent as a leader then. Ok I see what your saying. But he is none the less a coward. So if our intel knows where he is hiding can't we just tease him a little bit and maybe get closer and harass the S&&T out of him a lot more...>>??? Maybe play his game and make him and his cronies think that we are going away and lop off a body part every so offten