PDA

View Full Version : A Mom reflects on her son's graduation from boot camp

thedrifter
09-17-05, 01:06 PM
Borrowed from Mark aka The Fontman

A Mom reflects on her son's graduation from boot camp

Carolyn Lightfoot, a brand new Marine mom as of last Friday, shares her experience at MCRD graduation:

I arrived bright and early at MCRD San Diego - planning on going and having the breakfast buffet. According to the schedule, the first event - the Motivational Run was scheduled to begin at 9:30 A.M. I figured I would have a couple hours to sit down and eat breakfast.

When I pulled into the parking lot, I saw a bunch of Marines out on what I found out to be the Parade Deck. There was a bunch of people standing at the edge watching them. I walked up and asked what was going on. I found out it was my son's Platoon (along with several other Platoons) practicing for the Graduation Ceremony to be held the next day! Needless to say I never made it to breakfast! In fact, I didn't leave that curb for the next 1-1/2 hours! All the young men marching in perfect order mesmerized me. Furthermore, I was trying my best to spot my son out of the 553 other young men!

Eventually I finally pealed myself away because another mother asked me if I had purchased his coin for his graduating class. I had no idea what she was talking about but quickly made my way to a waiting line of about 75 other parents! Unfortunately they had run out of the coins while I waited patiently in line! (Luckily I found out a little later that the Museum's gift shop also sold them and I was lucky enough to buy the last two!).

At about 9:30 A.M. I went and stood along the road where my son's Platoon would line up for their Motivational Run. All of a sudden all the Platoons appeared and my son's group stopped right in front of me (and about 75 other parents!). Believe it or not I couldn't even pick out my son!! He had changed so much over the 13 weeks since he went to San Diego.

I was finally able to locate him about the time they had them turn and start running off! I couldn't believe I was standing right in front of him!

After they left for their 4-mile run, I made my way over in front of the Theater because that is where the run would end and the Platoons would line up in front of the Theater. After about 30 minutes they all ran back and fell in line right in front of us! This Motivational Run was something I am so glad that I didn't miss! I could tell that it was also a very emotional run for all of the recruits.

Once the boys left to get changed for the Emblem Ceremony, they had us go inside the Theater for the Drill Instructors introduction and also a short movie that outlined how the Marines got started, etc.

At approximately 11:00 we went out to the bleachers on the Parade Deck and waited for our boys to come and line up for the Emblem Ceremony! I must say, I believe this Ceremony was more emotional for the recruits then their actual graduation! This is where the Drill Instructors actually pin each and every recruit making them a U.S. Marine! It was incredible! I watched my son and he was biting his lower lip trying his best not to cry! I know for him to have been doing this, it was a real release that he was finally a U.S. Marine and no longer a recruit.

After the Ceremony our boys were released for Liberty for the afternoon! I ran from my seat and hugged him like I hadn't seen him in years! It was incredible!! I just feel really bad for all the family that didn't go for the Visitation Day! I still believe that this day was more emotional and informative then the actual Graduation Day!

But, where do I begin to talk about Graduation Day! It too was an incredible ceremony! My husband who is retired from the U.S. Navy told me that the Marine Corps Graduation is the best. He is right!! Everything was done perfectly! I am so glad that I was able to see my son graduate! This is one of those events in my son's life that I would never have wanted to miss.

I must say now, my feelings about my son have changed. I now realize he is a Man! He is a United States Marine! I can also say that I am so worried about him! In fact, the reason I am writing this is because my husband found this website because he knows that I am going to desperately need a support group to get me through the next four years! I pretty much know (although my son doesn't have his orders yet) he is probably headed over seas! I am dreading this more then you can imagine.

The only thing that is getting me through the past couple days (since leaving my son in San Diego) is knowing that there are a lot of other Marines out there and there are their mothers who have been through this. I am hoping and praying that he will be safe! I have never prayed more then I have over the past several days! I just hope that there will be support groups available for me and then I will be able to help other Mothers whose sons will be going through what Brad just went through!

I can only pray for the war in Iraq to end soon and all of our sons and daughters will be able to come home - safe!

Ellie

MarineMom5
09-19-05, 05:50 PM
I am a Mom ready to attend my son's graduation October 14.
Our family is so excited and proud of our son/brother.

I have been on several Marine Corps sites and have gotten the schedule of events for Family Day and Graduation....We don't want to miss a thing.

These 2 sites are great. I hope that parents read this or if you are a Poolee....give your Parents this info. You want them to share in this tremendous event in your life. (Theirs too!!)

Max Beerup’s Site http://www.usmcgradsandiego.org/

Marine Corps Recruit Depot http://www.mcrdsd.usmc.mil/ and http://www.mccsmcrd.com

Kaziganthi
09-20-05, 01:23 AM
Your son graduated on Sept 16th? That is when I graduated! What plt was he in? PM me if you don't want to say out loud.