PDA

View Full Version : 4th Marine Division honors its fallen Marines

thedrifter
09-17-05, 09:11 AM
4th Marine Division honors its fallen Marines
MCB Camp Pendleton
Story by Cpl. William Skelton

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. (Sept. 8, 2005) -- It was a sight to see — grown men getting misty-eyed together without an ounce of shame. For veterans like Elmer J. Dapron who gathered with one another, it went far beyond a ceremony for a monument.

World War II veterans from around the country assembled to dedicate a monument and hold a memorial service here in honor of the 4th Marine Division Sept. 8.

“With all the changes that have taken place in the Marine Corps, the only thing that hasn’t changed is the Esprit de Corps and the Semper Fidelis … it’s not just a slogan, it’s in your heart and soul and that will never change,” said Dapron, formerly of the 10th Amphibian Tracker Battalion, “Because of our mortality, every time we are together it seems more important than the last.”

Approximately 400 veterans and their families gathered at the South Mesa staff noncommissioned officer’s club to recognize the achievements of, and remember their lost comrades from, the 4th Marine Division. This visit marked the 60th anniversary of the deactivation of the division.

During the four operations in which the Division was engaged, approximately 82,000 men saw action one or more times. Out of this number 17,722 were killed, wounded or went missing in action.

The group of overwhelmed veterans toured Camp Pendleton for five days to take a look at the many changes that have taken place since their days in the ranks.

“When I was stationed here, there was nothing more than dirt roads that ran about the base,” said George A. Snyder, a former corporal and tanker in the Marine Corps during Word War II.

The Marines, many in their 80’s, were reunited with old friends during the reunion — many of whom they hadn’t seen for years.

“My favorite time was when I ran into a friend I served with in 4th Marine Division and got to meet his wife and children,” Dapron said.

“This memorial is poignant, sad and uplifting…we have lost so many over the years,” said Pamela C. Marvin, wife of Purple Heart recipient and screen actor, Lee Marvin. Marvin, who passed away in 1987, was wounded while serving with the 4th Marine Division during the Battle of Saipan.

Marvin’s wife was among hundreds of 4th Marine Division vets who gathered here to pay tribute to their old unit.

The names of Marines who have passed on during the last year were read during the ceremony, honoring the division.

Marines from the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing band played the Marines' Hymn and other arrangements during the ceremony.

When all the names were read and calls to prayer presented, a 21-round saluting battery from the 11th Marine Regiment sounded, followed by Taps.

Before heading back home, the Marines from the 4th Marine Division had one last reunion during a banquet dinner Sept. 10.

“Knowing the duty, honor and responsibility (learned), I could never repay the Marine Corps for all it has done for me,” Dapron said before adding that this simple creed is why reunions like this are important.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200591513261/$file/miatn.jpg

Cpl. Kristopher A. Ivanov prepares to play Taps during the ceremony honoring the 60th Anniversary of the deactivation of the 4th Marine Division Sept. 8. Photo by: Cpl. William Skelton

Ellie