PDA

View Full Version : Parsippany Marine returns as war hero

thedrifter
09-17-05, 07:43 AM
Parsippany Marine returns as war hero
Soldier honored for his braveryreturns from Iraq
BY MEG HUELSMAN
DAILY RECORD

PARSIPPANY -- The streets leading to Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Bryan Nugent's home were lined with red, white and blue star-shaped balloons on Friday. At the modest house on Benjamin Court, Nugent's family and friends sat on the front steps beneath a patriotic archway.

"We're all very proud of him,"Nugent's mother, Maureen, said Friday afternoon. "We missed him very much."

Nugent, a 22-year-old mechanic and driver for the Marine Corps Reserve's 6th Motor Transport Battalion, headquartered in Red Bank, spent the past seven months in Iraq. He and the battalion were responsible for driving convoys and transporting supplies --including water, ammunition and food -- from one base to another.

"The worst part was going out and not knowing if we were coming back," said Nugent, a 2001 Parsippany High School graduate.

In May, Nugent earned a Meritorious Mast commendation for bravery when he ran from his vehicle to help the occupants of a truck that had flipped on the road in front of his. The truck was unstable and, when the driver jerked the wheel, the truck tipped, tossing the gunman and his weapon. After checking on his comrades, Nugent searched for the missing weapon.

"It was funny, because he didn't even know that he was given the award," his mother said. "He was surprised when I told him over the phone."

After high school, Nugent volunteered for the Marine Corps and duty in Iraq. He began training in November 2003.

"When I first talked to Bryan during training, I asked him why he didn't join the Navy or the Air Force," said his father, Bob Nugent. "He answered, 'If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do the hardest one.'"

"Bryan's really humble,"Nugent's best friend, 21-year-old Tara Grande, said. "He doesn't realize the impact of his duty. There is an immense amount of support for him.

"He's our hero."

For Nugent, one of the benefits of volunteering to serve in Iraq was the possibility of traveling to a different part of the world.

"In Iraq, it was really hot," Nugent said. "Temperatures reached up to 110 or 120 degrees. It was really sandy, too. I inhaled more sand than I ever imagined possible."

Nugent described the people of Iraq as indifferent.

"The Iraqis acted like we were supposed to be there," he said. "They didn't say anything or do anything.

"Most of all, I missed my family," he said. He was able to call home on pay phones or send e-mail. "It felt a lot longer than it was."

One of the scarier moments Nugent faced while serving in Iraq happened when a fuel farm was blown up on the base after a rocket attack.

"I have pictures," he said, turning to his family.

Asked what he missed most while away from home, Nugent immediately answered: "Family."

He also missed his friends, his bike and beer.

"They only have nonalcoholic beer over there," he said. "It tastes terrible."

Nugent's family said he was sorely missed during his deployment.

"It felt like a very long time," Maureen Nugent said.

After hearing of the devastation that Hurricane Katrina wreaked in Louisiana, Nugent tried to volunteer in New Orleans to help with the reconstruction efforts.

"Marines from my unit wanted to go, but we haven't heard anything back," he said.

"Now that I'm home, I plan to do everything," Nugent said. Nugent is guaranteed at least six months at home before he can be reactivated and sent back to Iraq.

Meg Huelsman can be reached at mhuelsman@gannett.com or (973) 428-6627.

Ellie