PDA

View Full Version : Ditching the clubs: Disc golf preferred pastime for two depot Marines

thedrifter
09-17-05, 07:28 AM
Ditching the clubs: Disc golf preferred pastime for two depot Marines
MCRD San Diego
Story by Pfc. Charlie Chavez

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif. (Sept. 16, 2005) -- 'Fore!" yelled the Marine as he sent a rubber disc down field toward a metal basket, landing closer to par. The disc golfer strolled the field and talked with his friend as they enjoyed their game.

Depot Marines Cpl. Kyle Ochoa and Lance Cpl. Jeff Peterson both devote a few hours on Sundays, and some Saturdays, to the up-and-coming sport of disc golf, which is beginning to appeal to people looking for a pastime or a competitive sport.

Disc golf has the same rules as golfing, but instead of drivers or clubs, players use discs made of rubber with different strength and shapes for different distances.

"The sport is new to a lot of people, and almost everyone is willing to try something new, which I think is why all my friends come," said Ochoa.

Almost a decade veteran of the game, Ochoa likes to try and influence all his friends to join him in playing.

"I got Jeff to start going, and I usually ask all my friends to come with me to play," said Ochoa.

Ochoa and Peterson enjoy taking in the sunshine and cool air, and the chance to do something outside the confines of the depot.

"Being outside for a while is nice," said Peterson. "Especially in the cool San Diego weather."

Growing up, Ochoa began playing with his father, and he became competitive.

"I have six trophies from back home, and I have been playing for about eight or nine years," said Ochoa. "It's a lot of fun, but now I just play to play."

Ochoa attributes his interest in the sport to the limited fun stuff in his hometown, Coos Bay, Ore.

"There wasn't much to do in my hometown, so you did whatever to stay busy and pass the time," said Ochoa.

Peterson plays the game for the challenge and to spend time with his friend.

"Kyle got me into it, and I just kept coming with him," said Peterson. "It's a challenge to play and I enjoy that."

Ochoa and Peterson play at Morley Field Disc Golf Course, San Diego, where they pay $2.50 per person on the weekend and $2 on weekdays for an unlimited amount of holes.

"When we come out here, we have a lot of fun. The course itself can be pretty hard, but it definitely keeps you coming back and entertained," said Ochoa.

Both players commented on the uniqueness of the course, from a tree filled with shoes, to the massive, dead trees that riddled the field.

"The course itself is a big obstacle, but some of the smaller problems are the trees where the disc can get stuck and you have to go after it," said Peterson, as he chased his disc up a tree.

The two friends managed to find fellow competitors on the course that welcomed the company.

"It's easy to find people who want to play. When you get here, you already have something in common and something to talk about," said Ochoa.

After playing 19 holes and finishing out six strokes over, Ochoa beat Peterson, who declined to share his score.

Ellie