PDA

View Full Version : Marines from Hard-Hit Ohio Unit Heading Home

thedrifter
09-17-05, 07:15 AM
Marines from Hard-Hit Ohio Unit Heading Home
Sept 16, 2005, 6:43 PM

COLUMBUS (AP) -- An Ohio Marine Reserve unit that lost 16 members in Iraq has moved to a safer area as it prepares to return home, according to family members. Members of the Columbus-based Lima Company of the 3rd Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment have told parents and spouses in recent days that they have flown from the Haditha Dam near the Syrian border, where the men died, to the more secure Al Asad air base, about 150 miles northwest of Baghdad.

Nine members of Lima Company were among the 14 Marines who died Aug. 3 in the deadliest roadside bombing of U.S. troops in Iraq. The larger Cleveland-based 3rd Battalion lost a total of 16 Marines during August.

Citing security concerns, a Marine spokesman would not confirm Lima Company's movements, though he doubts that the entire battalion was now at Al Asad. "You cannot bring a large unit to one location quickly," Lt. Col. Mike Brown said on Friday.

Brown did say that Lima Company and the rest of the battalion are due at Camp LeJeune, N.C., early next month where members will undergo a brief period of post-deployment training. By the second week of October, the individual units are expected to return to their home bases, including the one in Columbus.

Edith Rye of Hamilton said she was "tickled pink" after her husband, Cpl. Frank Rye, told her on Thursday that he was now safe at the new base in Iraq. "I can't wait for him to get home," she said.

Ellie

thedrifter
09-17-05, 09:23 AM
Brook Park Marines may be home soon
Saturday, September 17, 2005
Grant Segall
Plain Dealer Reporter

A bloodied Marine battalion headquartered in Brook Park is supposed to come home from Iraq in a couple of weeks.

Their families are cautious, but hopeful.

"It'll feel a lot better to know he's out of there," said Lisa Stout, of Tallmadge, whose nephew Luke Riddle is one of about 900 Marine Corps reservists fighting with the 3rd Battalion, 25th Regiment.

"You're not home until you're home, but he's making progress, that's the big thing," Ron Ickes, also of Tallmadge, said about his son, Nate.

The father heard that the battalion was moving this week from the Haditha Dam area -- where 20 Marines, including 14 Ohioans (13 from the 25th Regiment) were killed in early August -- to the relatively safer Al Asad air base. From there, they will travel to Kuwait, then on to the United States.

The Columbus Dispatch reported similar accounts Friday from families of other 3rd Battalion reservists.

Marine officials said it would be dangerous to reveal troop movements within Iraq. But Gunnery Sgt. Brad Lauer at battalion headquarters said the reservists are scheduled to reach Camp LeJeune, N.C., in early October and their home bases by the second week of the month.

The battalion's five companies -- based in Brook Park, Akron, Columbus, Buffalo and Moundsville, W.Va. -- are holding meetings for families to prepare for the troops' return. Lauer said the meetings' subjects would range from benefits to counseling.

Aaron Cohen, of Akron, said he will be glad to see his battalion buddies again.

"Whenever I do something I wasn't able to do in Iraq, I always think of them," said Cohen, who came home early with hobbled knees. "I was at an Ohio State game, and they should have been right in that seat next to me."

Ellie