PDA

View Full Version : An Unknown Author....(On The Sea Story)

gunnyg
11-05-02, 06:39 AM
An Unknown Author once stated....

"The Sea Story is the Marine Corps preferred means of passing on wisdom from one generation of Marines to the next."

But, some are just sea stories...

This one from Maj Milavic's Milinet List, via GyG'sMailbag...

"Milinet: A Sea Story
by Dick G
Dick G (Login Dick Gaines)
Forum Owner

5 November 2002

MILINET: A Sea Story

By: Sgt. Don Hepburn, USMC (HD)

============================

Luzon, in the Philippines, circa 1957.

Sangley Point was across the bay from Manila. It was an, unimpressive, narrow landing strip on the edge of the water.

VMJ1, a Marine photo reconnaissance squadron, was sent TAD for games, from Atsugi, Japan, with Lt. Bond as Acting CO for this trip. The men had been there several days and had flown a few sorties, when some of the enlisted men, a couple buck sergeants, corporals and a pfc, decided to go to the base geedunk for some pogy-bait. When leaving the establishment the group failed to notice a lieutenant walk behind them into the store. A sergeant, who was permanently stationed there, decided VMJ1 had committed a breach of Military Courtesy by not saluting the lieutenant. (It is assumed that Air Wing Marines have less Courtesy and Discipline than some other mos's) More than likely, from the sergeant's view, the men should have seen the lieutenant and executed the salutes. He jumped the visiting VMJ1 men and began "chewing ass". Tempers flared, some words were exchanged, but the visitors went on their way without further incident. The lieutenant didn't really seem at all concerned.

Meanwhile, back at the briefing shack, the pilots and men were briefing for the next sortie, when the group returned from the geedunk and told the story to the men and officers present. Evidently, Lt. Bond got word of the incident, because he told his men that they would all meet at the Enlisted Club, for a little fellowship, and some refreshments,"on the officers".

After securing, they went to the club and began drinking and telling sea-stories, jokes and even during the festivities a few choruses of, "The Monkeys Have No Tails In Zamboanga", were sung. Hey, it happened. Drinks (Stinger on the Rocks was the favorite of the pilots) stacked up in front of the men at the VMJ1 tables and the permanent personnel were clearly not happy about the situation. The men and officers of VMJ1 were feeling no pain and probably would have filled-up more, but a corporal from Tampa, Florida (name is omitted to protect the guilty) decided to stand-up on one of the tables, holding a microphone, and thank the permanent personnel for their hospitality.
VMJ1 cleared out and went back to their quarters, many of them "looking for O'Rourk's Buick" in the "great ceramic car pool".

Next morning Lt. Bond was extended a cordial invitation to visit the Marine CO on the base. While he was gone a sortie was to be flown by Capt. Glauser and Lt. Charles. Glauser was to fly the photo and Charles was to chase. The Banshees took off on time.

The rest of the men and officers watched them until they were out of sight and then waited, in the shack, for their return. They touched-down a little late and Capt. Glauser and Lt. Charles were a bit quiet after their landing. Everyone knew there was a story coming-up. The crews, mechs and photo, did their thing anticipating getting back to the shack to hear what was going on.

Word finally got out. Glauser and Charles were headed toward the target, when Charles noticed Glauser's Banshee start a very slow, rising, inside-roll to port, which took him over Charles' canopy. Charles was able to look up into Glauser's canopy and see him sound asleep! He keyed in and tried to wake him. Glauser continued to rise in a slow inside roll, but then began to lose altitude, while Charles followed him down yelling in the mike.

All's well that ends well. Charles' efforts finally paid off, Glauser awakened and pulled out at a respectful altitude, and the sortie was completed.

Lt. Bond survived his visit with the Marine CO.

Posted on Nov 5, 2002, 7:31 AM
from IP address 209.130.220.207
"

SGTJeziorski
03-04-07, 02:47 AM
It was with great interest that I read the tale of VMJ1 and Sangley Point. I do recall Capt. Glauser, an old salt, 2nd Lt. Charles, a shavetail, and Lt. "Shorty" Bond. The other name I recognize is that of Sgt. Don Hepburn. From another source I read of Sgt. Jose L. Peruyera's death in December, 2003.

I worked in the squadron's Mapping & Briefing section. Drop me a line so we can discuss more of our adventures in the Corps.

SGTJeziorski