PDA

View Full Version : Marines prepare to get recognized

thedrifter
09-15-05, 04:52 PM
Marines prepare to get recognized
MCB Quantico
Story by: Cpl. Jonathan Agg

MARINE CORPS BASE QUANTICO, Va.(Sept. 15, 2005) -- The noncommissioned officer and Marine-of-the-quarter board program aboard Quantico provides units with a means of recognizing outstanding Marines while providing individuals with career development opportunities.

The three primary tiers of the board system are the company, battalion, and Marine Corps Combat Development Command levels. Units nominate qualified Marines and NCOs for unit boards first, then board winners compete in increasingly more competitive boards at higher levels.

Lance Cpl. Henry De Sosa, Financial Branch clerk, won the Headquarters Company board within Headquarters and Service Battalion Sept. 8, which consisted of an inspection in the service “C” uniform and answering questions before a panel of staff NCOs. De Sosa will compete at the H&S Bn. board today. De Sosa said the key to his success was preparation, strong military bearing, and a mastery of basic Marine Corps knowledge.

“We had a few members of the office who have gone up for boards and knew the type of questions they ask,” said De Sosa. “We did a couple of practice boards in the office. We went over current events … I had my uniform cleaned and pressed.”

De Sosa said questions he faced at the company-level board focused on Navy and Marine Corps rank structure, customs and courtesies, Marine Corps history, and current events concerning operations in Iraq and Hurricane Katrina, but he expects tougher competition at the battalion board.

“They will probably look harder at my (physical fitness test) score and rifle score and use those things to compare me to the other Marines,” said De Sosa, who recommended prospective board competitors brush up on their knowledge and practice maintaining bearing.

Sgt. Maj. William Johnson, H&S Bn. sergeant major, will preside over his battalion’s Marine and NCO of the quarter boards today and said he is looking for the quintessential Marine to send to the MCCDC board.

“What I’m looking for is an individual who is the total package, being current in their PFT, Marine Basic Skills Test – all that is great, but also working out in the community and helping the community – everything they have done this quarter to enhance their chance as the total Marine package,” said Johnson. “I am looking for a Marine who is not only physically fit and mentally fit, but I am asking, ‘what have they done to enhance themselves and their section this quarter?’”

The battalion board members, first sergeants from each company, and the sergeant major will review all available information about each nominee, beginning with the nomination letter from the company-level board and the Marine’s service record, education, biography and training record. Sgt. Maj. Jeffrey Morin, base sergeant major, will also review the nominees. The top H&S Bn. Marine and NCO will then compete with Security Battalion’s top Marine to represent the base against Training and Education Command, Marine Corps Warfighting Laboratory, Marine Corps Helicopter Squadron-1, Marine Corps Air Facility Quantico, and Marine Security Guard Battalion for the MCCDC board.

Johnson suggested Marines competing for boards brush up on their knowledge.

“Be as knowledgeable as possible in all your basic skills,” said Johnson. “The questions we asked are on relevant subjects that the Marines will have to answer for their own Marines. If one of their Marines has a question, they should be able to answer the question or at least know where to find the answer to the question.”

Johnson said topics at the battalion board could include land navigation; marksmanship; uniforms and equipment; and nuclear, biological and chemical response.

“There are a variety of subjects we will cover. You name it,” said Johnson.

Johnson said the experience of standing a board can help the development of the individual Marine.

“If you’re honest with yourself when you look in the mirror, you’re not as good as everyone tells you you are. But on the other hand, you’re not as bad as you think you are if you are your worst critic. You’re someplace in the middle,” said Johnson. “You also need knowledge of your fellow Marines to build your confidence when you go to war with them. When you see different Marines from different (military occupational specialties) at these boards, you realize we are all Marines, we are all riflemen, and we are all striving to be better leaders. These boards help build confidence and show Marines what their peers are actually doing. It’s a chance for a Marine to really show what they’re made of and display their level of confidence and professionalism and to strive to be the best.”

Ellie