PDA

View Full Version : After 35 years, Knoxville soldier's remains finally come home

thedrifter
09-15-05, 04:47 PM
After 35 years, Knoxville soldier's remains finally come home
September 15, 2005
By DON DARE
6 News Reporter

KNOXVILLE (WATE) -- Over the past three weeks, there have been three military funerals for East Tennessee soldiers killed in Iraq. But 35 years ago, Americans were fighting another war.

That's when a Knoxville soldier fighting in the Vietnam was declared missing in action.

Cpl. Jerry King finally came home to be laid to rest Thursday. His three brothers are finally at peace.

Missing in action since May 10, 1968, the uncertainty of Jerry's fate affected his brothers, Kenneth, Dennis, and Terry King.

"I didn't think the day would ever come," Kenneth admits. "I gave up 20 years ago on it."

But Thursday, Kenneth was holding in his hands his brother's dogtags. "This is as close to my heart as anything right now."

"I really think that this should serve notice to all that our government has not given up on the 2000-plus MIA/POWs from the Vietnam War era," said Dennis.

Cpl. King died along with 11 other soldiers on the Laos/Vietnam border.

The war was at its height in 1968. Thousands died that year, but Jerry King was missing. Until recently, his body hadn't been recovered.

The King brothers say their parents were so proud of Jerry, a 1966 Fulton High School graduate who joined the Marines that year.

"It tore my mother apart," Kenneth said. "It tore my father apart even more, especially when they found out they weren't going to be able to bring the body back."

It took nearly a decade to identify Cpl. King's remains. The Pentagon says the twelve remains found and identified in one spot is the largest recovery of MIA ground troops since the war ended 30 years ago.

"I'm really thankful that he is back," Terry said. "It does give a lot of people out there who are still missing loves ones a lot of hope."

Cpl. King will be buried in Knoxville at New Gray Cemetery alongside his mother and dad. The service is Saturday. But at the request of his brothers, there will be another resting place for him at the National Cemetery in Arlington, Va. alongside seven of his fellow Marines who died together so long ago.

Ellie