PDA

View Full Version : Injured Idaho troops begin long journey to recovery

thedrifter
09-15-05, 06:49 AM
Injured Idaho troops begin long journey to recovery
The Idaho Statesman

'I don't want anybody's sympathy,' says Mitch Ehlke

Nearly 1,900 military personnel have died in Iraq since the war started in March 2003. With each death, the Department of Defense issues a brief press release. The faces of fallen troops grace the front pages of hometown newspapers. They are usually buried with full military honors.

But for every soldier, Marine, airman or sailor who dies in Iraq, seven more are injured. Department of Defense weekly statistics show that 14,362 troops have been injured in the last two and a half years.

Nearly half of those were injured badly enough to be removed from duty for at least 72 hours. But the military is tight-lipped with other details about its wounded. The military doesn't release the names of the injured, citing medical privacy and security concerns. And it won't say how many members of a unit have been injured.
"I'm not authorized to release that information. That's telling the enemy too much," said Gordon Petrie, chief information officer for the Idaho National Guard's 116th Brigade Combat Team, which has 4,300 soldiers — and about 1,800 Idahoans — in northern Iraq.

Immediate families and friends know the fate of wounded soldiers and Marines, but the information blackout often keeps news of wounded troops invisible to the public.
Wounded servicemen go from battlefield operations to medical operations, from fighting insurgents to fighting infections. Some will lose limbs, or be confined to wheelchairs. Some will carry battle scars for life.

When they come home, they face curious stares and awkward moments because people don't know how to react to their injuries.

"I don't want anybody's sympathy. I just want them to understand," said Lance Cpl. Mitch Ehlke of Star, who lost a foot in May after a bomb exploded beneath his tank while serving in western Iraq.
Here are the stories of three men injured by the roadside bombs that are a major cause of injuries in Iraq.
Lance Cpl. Mitch Ehlke
When Ehlke describes his injuries, he sounds more like a snowboarder who broke his leg catching big air than a soldier who lost a foot to an Iraqi insurgent's bomb. There's a mixture of pride, awe and gallows humor as he shows the plastic, steel and rubber prosthesis attached to the stump below his knee.

"Yeah, I have fun with it," he said. "I've got a weird sense of humor about it. I will never twist my ankle or stub my toe again."
Ehlke, a 21-year-old who joined the Marines after graduating from Eagle High School in 2002, was among 90 Boise-based Marine Corps Reservists who deployed to Iraq last winter with the 1st Tank Battalion, 1st Marine Division.

In May, he had most of his foot blown off after an improvised explosive device ripped through the tank he was riding in near the Syrian border west of Baghdad.

Ehlke and three other Marines were taking part in "Operation Matador," an intense battle to remove insurgents from villages near the Syrian border. They had finished their mission and were turning the tank around to return to base when the bomb exploded.
"That's the frustrating part," Ehlke said. "We had done our job, and we were on our way back to base when we got hit."

The blast knocked him unconscious and when he woke up, "it was just a terrible scene," he said. "The top of my foot and my toes were there, but everything else was just gone."
The tank driver, Lance Cpl. Fernando Lazalde of Driggs, escaped with minor injuries.

But the explosion also seriously injured Lance Cpl. Joe Lowe and Staff Sgt. Chad Brumpton, both of Boise. Brumpton returned home Wednesday night. Lowe is at a Seattle hospital being treated for spinal injuries. He is still paralyzed from the chest down, said his brother, Lance Cpl. James Lowe, on Wednesday. Joe Lowe may return to Boise in October, his brother said.

Ehlke flagged down a passing helicopter. When it landed, he hopped toward it so he could tell the crew his fellow wounded Marines were still in the tank.
"I had so many things running through my head, my instincts took over," he said. "I was more worried about failing my friends than dying."

The helicopter was a gunship, not a med-evac helicopter. It took Ehlke and Brumpton and radioed for another helicopter for Lowe. All three were flown to Balad, Iraq, for treatment before being transferred to the Army-run Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany.
A few days later, doctors there told Ehlke he would probably lose his arm and his foot. When he arrived at Bethesda Naval Hospital in Maryland, surgeons saved his arm with four operations to repair the nerve and muscle damage; they attached a plate to hold the bone together.

But odds of saving his foot were slim. Ehlke told his doctors to amputate his leg midway down the shin to accommodate a prosthetic foot and ankle. He preferred that to up to two years of rehabilitation with only a slight chance of ever walking again on the injured leg.

"It was kind of an easy decision because (without amputating) I would never be able to run again and only have a 20 percent chance of walking with a cane," he said. "I've got 60-some years of my life left. I had to make the best long-term decision and move on with it."
Ehlke had to wait for his arm to heal before he could start learning to walk on his prosthetic leg.

Doctors told him it would take three to six months to learn to walk again.
Seven weeks after the amputation, he was back on his feet.

"My doctors and my physical therapist were just blown away," he said. "I had the motivation to get up and go again, and I wasn't going to hold back.

"I just can't relate how awesome it was to be walking," he said. "It was just a great feeling."
With the prosthesis, he will be able to do nearly everything he could do before, including running, hiking and swimming.

Ehlke's mother, Debbie, said the experience changed him.
"He appreciates everything, every little thing. He appreciates people, and I think he realizes there's a greater purpose out there," she said. "We're all very thankful and blessed that he's home."

Ehlke accepts the challenges of returning to a normal life with his new leg and tells of his accomplishments with enthusiasm. He walks without a limp, and says he may be able to actually run faster with the custom-made, carbon-fiber prosthesis he'll get while continuing his rehabilitation at Walter Reed Medical Center in Washington, D.C.

continued....

thedrifter
09-15-05, 06:49 AM
Ehlke's upbeat tone wavers only when he tells how the amputation ruined his plans to go to flight school and become a Marine Corps pilot.
"That sucks because that's what I've wanted to do my entire life, and now I can't do that," he said. "Nothing can replace it."

When his recovery is complete, he faces another difficult decision: Stay in the Marines or medically retire.
"I love being a Marine and every part of being a Marine," he said. "The hardest part of making the decision is thinking about my friends who are still there (in Iraq)."

Ehlke is considering returning to Boise State University full time and eventually working for the federal government. He said he wants to "go somewhere where I can still make a difference in the world."

Ehlke said he's not bitter toward the insurgents who planted the bomb that took his leg.
"We're in a war," he said. "They got a lucky punch."
Staff Sgt. Tom Butler
Staff Sgt. Tom Butler of Emmett was five feet away from a roadside bomb that blasted him 10 feet and started him on a long journey from Iraq to Germany to Washington to Texas to Idaho and now back to Texas.

On June 26, Butler was standing guard near a traffic divider after soldiers had removed another explosive device in Kirkuk, Iraq, when an 82 mm mortar round that was buried nearby and wired with a detonator exploded.
Butler, who serves in the Idaho Guard's Alpha Company, 2-116th, vividly remembers the blast and the first look at his shattered leg.

"I looked down and went "Oh, my God,' " he said. "I wasn't in shock, but I was in pain."

Butler endured a night in a field hospital where doctors extracted shrapnel from his body.
He was flown to Germany, where he called his wife, Kim. The Army had told her that her husband had been seriously injured but was expected to survive.

"I don't remember half of what I said to her," Butler said. "I just wanted her to know I was going to live."
"He said 'Don't worry, I'm just missing a few chunks,' " Kim said.

He said he "screamed bloody murder" when medical crews pulled gauze from open wounds, and he spent weeks with four knitting needle-sized titanium pins embedded in his leg to hold the bone together.

Nearly three months later, he's still getting medical treatment. Doctors at Brooke Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas, operated on his leg this month to graft new bone where the blast blew a golf ball-sized chunk of bone out of his lower leg.
Butler faces months of rehabilitation and physical therapy to relearn how to walk on his damaged leg.

"Not for one minute do I feel sorry for myself," he said in an interview at his home in Emmett while on convalescent leave.
Butler saw soldiers in much worse shape at the Texas hospital — with missing limbs, severe burns. One soldier had a section of his skull surgically implanted in his abdomen so it could be reattached later.

The worst part of the ordeal, he said, is "not being with the guys."

"I went over there with them, and I wanted to come back with them," he said.
Doctors tell Butler he can expect a full recovery and eventually continue his career with the Idaho National Guard.

He wants to be healed enough to greet his fellow soldiers when they return this fall and eventually return to his job as assistant produce manager at Albertsons in Emmett.
It was the second time Butler, 40, had seen action in Iraq. He served in the Gulf War in 1990-91 during a 10-year career in the Marine Corps. He said he emerged from the first tour in Iraq unscathed, but didn't think the U.S. finished the job of defeating Saddam Hussein.

"I knew we would go back," he said.

After Sept. 11, 2001, Butler decided to join the Idaho National Guard. Butler said he thinks the military is making a difference in Iraq and would hate to see the U.S. pull out of Iraq before it's secure.
"I don't want to see all the guys who died over there die for no reason," he said.
Staff Sgt. Chad Brumpton
Staff Sgt. Chad Brumpton of Boise has spent twice as long in hospitals as he did in Iraq. And while his tank mate, Mitch Ehlke, is learning to run on a prosthetic leg, Brumpton is just starting walk again on his own legs.

"I just started to walk last week," he said at the Boise Airport Wednesday night. "I walk like a little old man."
Brumpton returned home for the first time since he deployed in January with 90 other Idaho Marine reservists.

He was greeted at the airport by about 40 family members, friends and fellow Marines. Gov. Dirk Kempthorne and Major Gen. Larry Lafrenz, commander of the Idaho National Guard, also were on hand.

"It's the best feeling of all to be back home," he said.
Brumpton suffered extensive leg injuries in May when a bomb detonated under the tank he was commanding while battling Iraqi insurgents near Al Qa'im near the Syrian border.

The explosion caused five compound breaks to Brumpton's right leg and seven to his left. The blast shattered his heels and broke most of his toes.
Brumpton has spent the last four months at Balboa Naval Medical Center in San Diego undergoing multiple surgeries and fighting infections. He can walk short distances, but mostly is confined to a wheelchair.

Brumpton said he expects to eventually recover.

"I will probably never be 100 percent, but I will be as close as I can get."
He has months of physical therapy and rehabilitation ahead of him, but Brumpton said he has no idea how long it will take.

"It's all up to the body," he said.
Brumpton said he's starting to get feeling in his toes after months of numbness.

"It hurts like hell right now, but that's to be expected. It's all waking up right now," he said.

Even when he's healed, Brumpton's life will be forever changed. The insurgent's bomb ended his military career.
"The Marine Corps has already decided it will medically retire him because of the extensive damage," said Capt. Ron Storer, inspector/instructor for Charlie Company, 4th Tank Battalion and commander for Gowen Field Marine reservists.

Ellie