PDA

View Full Version : Boot Camp

firstsgtmike
11-05-02, 12:05 AM
Today I read a newspaper article about boot camp. I posted it for the poolees to read. I was pleased to see that few things have changed and that my Corps was in good hands.

Only one 'modification' stood out and caught my attention. Arriving recruits are allowed (read encouraged) to make a phone call home to let their parents know they arrived safely.

In the 'old' Corps, we were encouraged (read forced) to write a dictated letter home, announcing our safe arrival.

"Dear Mommy and Daddy" (Shades of Alan Sherman and Hello
Mudda, Hello Fadda, for those who
can remember)

Your little boy, (insert name here) met a nice man when we arrived at the bus/train station, airport (insert correct one) in San Diego. The nice man was thoughtful enough to bring a bus to take us to our new home at MCRD. He told us stories and had us laughing and joking. It was fun.

I met my Drill Instructor, and he is also a very nice man. He promised a free haircut tomorrow, and new clothes so these wouldn't get dirty.

He told me not to worry about being away from home, that he would be like my mother and father, and if I wet the bed tonight he would understand and be patient with me.

This is a very nice place, and these are very nice people.

Your loving son,
(insert name here)

Now they do it with a telephone call. Isn't technology wonderful?

Semper Fi