PDA

View Full Version : " A Soldier Known But To God "

lakers
11-04-02, 08:57 PM
In 1921, an American Soldier-his name "known but to God" was buried on a Virginia hillside overlooking the Potomac River and the city of Washington. The Arlington National Cemetery burial site of this unknown Wold War I soldier became the personification of dignity and reverence for America's veterans.
Similar ceremonies occurred earlier in England and France where an "unknown soldier" was buried in each nation's highest place of honor (in England, Westminster Abbey; in France, the Arc de Triomphe).
These memorial gestures all took place on November 11, giving universal recognition to the celebrated ending of World War I hostilities at 11a.m., November 11, 1918 (the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11month). The day became known as "Armistice Day."
Armistice Day officially received its name in America in 1926 through a Congressional resolution. It became a national holiday 12 years later by similar Congressional action.
If the idealistic hope had been realized that World War I was "The War to end all wars," November 11 might still be called Armistice Day. But shortly after the holiday was proclaimed, World War II broke out in Europe and shattered the dream. Sixteen and one-half million Americans took part. Four hundred and six thousand died. The families and friends of these dead longed for a way to honor their memory.