PDA

View Full Version : Good Conduct Medal

XDI2minister
09-08-05, 07:44 AM
Looking for information about the Good Conduct Medal. I'm teaching a Sunday school class (2nd & 3rd grade) about diligence. And I believe that being diligent is one reason for being awarded the Good Conduct medal. I was going to use my Good Conduct medal as an object lesson. What I'm looking for why it is awarded. Plus, I'm looking for famous (or not famous) Marines who have demonstrated "diligence" and you can give me an example how they were diligent. Any history buffs out there that can help me with some history sound bites?
Thanks!

LDO Capt
09-08-05, 08:06 AM
You served in our Corps from 1971 to 1992 and you dont know what a Good Conduct Medal is awarded for????

Old Marine
09-08-05, 08:17 AM
I alway's thought it was called the "Not Getting Caught Medal".

XDI2minister
09-08-05, 09:52 AM
Yes I know in my heart why a Good Conduct medal is awarded. I was hoping to get examples of how some famous (or not famous)Marines demonstrated being diligent. I'm looking for testimonies from others, maybe people you know or served with that really demonstrated examples of being diligent.

Joseph P Carey
09-08-05, 11:58 AM
Three years of not getting caught. I agree with the Old Marine!

Well, if you should have to find an example of Good Conduct, and you would care to use the Army, you have Audie Murphy, the most decorated man in WWII. The only medal he ever wanted and did not get was the Good Conduct Medal. Two reasons why not: Not enough time as an enlisted man, and his becoming an officer where good conduct is not rewarded or expected.

Sorry Captain! :-)

dscusmc
09-08-05, 01:12 PM
We used to joke about the GCM being the "not getting caught medal" also. But, I remember when I got my GCM as a Corporal, the Lt.Col. gave a short speech about what the medal represents.

He basically said that the GCM is awarded for more than just good conduct, but for faithful service. ALMOST anybody can stay out of trouble, but faithful service requires something more. We all like to joke that Marines work hard AND play hard, but Marine Corps leadership is by example -- through our conduct.

I did a little research and found that the Navy was the first to award the GCM before the Civil War, which was basically a "Continuous Service Certificate [for a sailor] who is distinguished for obedience, sobriety, and cleanliness, and is proficient in seamanship and gunnery..."

The Marine Corps GCM was issued in 1896, probably for similar reasons. Interestingly, the Marine Corps "Handbook for NCO's" starts off with a history of the NCO. The book notes that Baron von Steuben, the Prussion advisor to the Contintental Army in 1778, wrote that the choice of our NCO's is of the "greatest importance." Honesty, sobriety, and a remarkable attention to detail were among the traits necessary to command respect. These are traits we still value in our leaders today.

When I think of diligence, faith, and perserverance a couple of names come to mind:

-A Message to Garcia -- "My heart goes out to the man who does his work when the "boss" is away, as well as when he is home."

-Joe Dimaggio, when asked why he plays so hard, "Because there is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best.”

-The Marines serving over in Iraq right now...check out this article by Oliver North. I can't tell it any better than he does. I'm sure there are a million similar stories.Semper Fidelis (http://www.townhall.com/columnists/ollienorth/on20040423.shtml)

Anyways, if its worth anything, hopefully you can get something for your Sunday school lesson out of my two cents.

S/F
Dan

XDI2minister
09-08-05, 01:39 PM
Thanks Joseph and Dan for your response. Sgt. York is the person I've been thinking about using for an example of being diligent. He was very diligent to make sure the prisoners were turned over to the correct person in WWI. But, I don't think he was awarded the GCM either. I also don't want to use an example where the person was diligent in killing...

Old Marine
09-08-05, 02:40 PM
XD12minister:

Maybe you should also be asking about the Fire Watch Medal (National Defence Medal).

PTWARRIOR
09-08-05, 02:46 PM
WAS SGT YORK A MARINE ? I did't know that. He is an example of deligence.

XDI2minister
09-08-05, 03:05 PM
No Sgt. York was not a Marine. But Joseph suggested that I use Mr. Murphy, ie. ARMY. I appreciated the idea from Joseph, but would rather use Sgt. York before Murphy. What I'm looking for is a Marine who has demonstrated diligence (and preferably) and not in killing. Thanks!

Osotogary
09-08-05, 03:39 PM
Would finding a Marine Chaplain , past/present, be a consideration? I certainly wouldn't know where to start if I was going to go down that road.

dscusmc
09-08-05, 03:39 PM
I'm working on putting together a Toys for Tots drive and was just reading about Major Bill Hendricks.

He might be an example of a diligent Marine not involved in war. In 1947, he realized that no group existed that provided for needy children during Christmas. He organized the first Toys for Tots drive. His diligence in organizing Toys for Tots was remarkable. Since then, the Marine Corps has given 332.5 million toys to 158.7 million needy children.

Toy for Tots: http://www.toysfortots.org/home/originandevolution.html

hrscowboy
09-08-05, 04:43 PM
well i know one thing the Teddy bear manufactures sure make a killing on the toys for tots run every year lord knows i have never seen so many teddy bears in one place in my life...

hrscowboy
09-08-05, 04:46 PM
Also this is a first for me i have never heard of the reasoning for the good conduct medal other than faithful service and staying out of trouble i would like to read more on it if someone has any information,,,

XDI2minister
09-08-05, 04:57 PM
Excellent suggestion about Major Bill Hendricks and his diligent efforts to start and support the Toys for Tots program! I'll use that example for sure!!! It would be nice if I could find a story like Forrest Gump(Movie), where he diligently kept going back to "save" the men in is platoon. And like in the movie, "We Were Soldiers", where Army Major "Snake" Crandall, diligently kept flying back to pick up the wounded and bring supplies to the men in the area known as "Valley of Death", Vietnam.
Thanks for your help!

LDO Capt
09-08-05, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Joseph P Carey
Three years of not getting caught. I agree with the Old Marine!

Well, if you should have to find an example of Good Conduct, and you would care to use the Army, you have Audie Murphy, the most decorated man in WWII. The only medal he ever wanted and did not get was the Good Conduct Medal. Two reasons why not: Not enough time as an enlisted man, and his becoming an officer where good conduct is not rewarded or expected.

Sorry Captain! :-)

Notice the LDO in front of the Capt Joseph P Carey, I have five of them :-)

greensideout
09-08-05, 09:37 PM
XD12Minister,
I am trying to figure this one out???
You want an example of a Marine that has received the GCM but it must be a Marine that hasn't killed the enemy in combat?
What is that about? Marines are trained to kill. That's the job when neccesary. That's what Marines are about. Duh!
We all know why the GCM is awarded to Marines and when.
Just wondering, why don't you?

XDI2minister
09-09-05, 05:55 AM
What I looking for is what the Good Conduct Medal means to "you", not me. I know what it means to me. I want other peoples words and examples to share with my 2nd - 3rd grade class. I'm looking for examples of diligence, but I don't need an example of someone diligently killing people. I don't need help in that area. The best example offered so far was Major Hendricks Toys-for-Tots program. This is an excellent example of diligence. What I'll do is compile all the information and deliver a message about "Diligence" and use the Good Conduct Medal as an object lesson. Thanks for all your support.

JAMarine
09-09-05, 01:19 PM
I'm with you. I always thought it was 36 months of meritoriously not getting caught.

rich

Joseph P Carey
09-09-05, 02:39 PM
Aside from the obligatory three years of good service without any bad conduct noted in my record, what does the MCGCM mean to me?

It means that no matter how difficult the job was, the living conditions were, the command structure could be, the unbending rules always have been, while during the suppressing of the youth's wildness within me in the most demanding of all services for devotion to duty, to Country, to the Constitution, and to the Marines Corps, to keep a clean and respectful record of duty and service truly is a remarkable achievement.

Being a Fleet Marine in both the 2nd Mar Div and the 1st Mar Div Reinforced, and a barracks Marine in NSA Ft Meade, the MCGCM meant that I had to keep my uniform in good order; my appearance should always be within Marine Corps regulations; my equipment should always be in the best shape as possible under the conditions I was in; my rifle should always be the picture of the most immaculate rifle ever held by a Marine; and, my conduct should always reflect the traditions of the Corps and the history of the Corps for all the brave men that went before me in the Corps, added, I should be the picture dictionary definition of all those that would follow me in the Corps. I am not sure that I always measured up to all that is the definition of a Marine, at all times, but I did receive my MCGCM, and I was proud to have it, and I was prouder to wear it with honor knowing I did a good job at being one of the best, of the few, of the Marines.

JAMarine
09-09-05, 05:05 PM
Well put Brother.

rich