PDA

View Full Version : HMH-461 (-) rein. aids in Katrina relief

thedrifter
09-06-05, 08:04 AM
HMH-461 (-) rein. aids in Katrina relief
MCAS New River
Story by Lance Cpl. Brandon M. Gale

NAVAL AIR STATION PENSACOLA, Fla. (Sept. 4, 2005) -- The Marines and Sailors of Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron-461 (-) rein. continue to work in support of Joint Task Force Katrina, the large-scale relief effort to help citizens of the gulf coast left homeless by Hurricane Katrina.

HMH-461 (-) rein. includes personnel, equipment and helicopters from both HMH-464 and Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron-365. The squadron consists of six CH-53E Super Stallions and two CH-46E Sea Knight helicopters. It deployed from Marine Corps Air Station New River on Sept. 1.

“From our perspective, the mission so far has been quite successful,” said Lt. Col. Robert D. Pridgen, HMH-461 (-) rein. commanding officer. “The Marines and Sailors on the ground really understand the intent of this disaster relief, so they have made some remarkable strides in getting food and water onto the helicopters so we can get it were it needs to go.”

According to Sgt. Maj. Larry C. Jones, HMH-461 (-) rein. sergeant major, the Marines always look forward to doing this kind of humanitarian work.

“They know they are doing it for a worthy cause,” he said. “It’s hard work, but they know it’s important to take care of these people.”

The heavy-lift capabilities of the squadron’s CH-53E’s have been put to use in
bringing thousands of pounds of food and water to the devastated city of New Orleans.

“It’s unreal. You never expect to see stuff like that,” said Cpl. Angelo C. Castelli, HMH-461 crew chief. “To see houses underwater and people driving around downtown New Orleans in boats, I couldn’t believe it.”

Along with bringing in the much-needed supplies, the squadron has played a vital role in the evacuation of the area surrounding the city’s convention center, where thousands of people congregated to escape the floodwaters. HMH-461 (-) rein. was among the first to begin bringing the elderly, sick and young victims of the hurricane to New Orleans International Airport, where medical crews were waiting to provide immediate attention.

“There is a sadness that comes with doing this type of mission,” said Jones. “These people have no home to go back to. Their life is in the bags they are carrying.”

However, Pridgen said he noticed most of the evacuees have a strong determination to survive and the relief in their eyes as they come aboard the helicopters has stuck with him.

“It has touched me,” he said. Everybody understands the urgency of this mission.
Everyone is focused on what we need to do in the weeks, and perhaps, months to come.

Should this operation continue on indefinitely, the Marines of HMH-461 (-) rein. said they will continue to do all they can.

“I have no problem being here,” said Castelli. “If we are here for six months or a year, I’ll know that we are helping other people’s families. It’s no big deal to be away from mine because it’s for a good cause.”

Sergeant Maj. Jones added, “We are here for as long as it takes to take care of these
people. No Marine or sailor will complain about being here. They know that every man,
woman and child is worth the effort.”

Ellie