View Full Version : Live feed puts Marine in Iraq in delivery room

thedrifter
09-05-05, 08:26 AM
Posted on Mon, Sep. 05, 2005
Live feed puts Marine in Iraq in delivery room
Internet technology lets him witness the birth of his first child
BY NANCY YANG
Pioneer Press

Marine Cpl. Tony Kiehl may be in Iraq, but through the power of technology, he was able to be with his wife at Fairview Ridges Hospital in Burnsville as she labored with their first child.

Kiehl, 22, was "with" his wife, Katie, 18, on Sunday through the use of video teleconferencing, which is done over the Internet. It allows two parties in separate places to see and talk to each other by using Web cams and an Internet connection, resulting in a live audio and video feed.

On Sunday evening, Kiehl and his wife were united just as she began going into labor, days ahead of her Sept. 11 due date.

The Kiehls, who live in Edina, were able to take advantage of the technology because of a nonprofit organization called Operation America Cares, based in Eagan. It was co-founded by Toni Hanson, whose husband, Michael Hanson, is also a Marine. He spent time in Iraq setting up computer networks for the troops there.

Operation America Cares, in addition to sending care packages to troops overseas, also tries to link families locally via video teleconference with their relatives who are serving in other countries. In July, the organization put together a video link at a St. Paul Saints game for some Marines stationed overseas and their family and friends.

That's where Toni and Katie met, and also where Tony saw his wife's pregnant belly for the first time. Tony shipped out to Al Asad, Iraq, in March.

But it wasn't until just last week that Toni found out Katie hadn't yet delivered her child. She wanted to help.

Within days, Toni was contacting Katie's hospital, asking if Operation America Cares could come in and allow Tony to see Katie and the birth of his first child via a video link.

Unknowingly, Toni contacted Fairview Health Services chief executive officer David Page, who "acted like he was the grandfather," Toni said. "He just told me, 'Let me figure out what I have to do to make it happen.'"

By Sunday, all the equipment — and appropriate people who could help set up and run the video teleconferencing — were in place for a test run.

Turned out, it was all well-timed. That day about 3 p.m. Katie walked into the hospital saying she was in labor.

By 6 p.m., her husband — at a Freedom Call center in Al Asad — was live with her, watching her and talking to her as she began settling in for the delivery. Freedom Call centers are communications centers in Camps Taji, Fallujah and Al Asad that troops can use to keep in touch with their family members.

Tony said before the birth that he wished he were at the hospital physically with his wife but that he was grateful for being with her in spirit and via the screen. The baby was expected to be delivered around midnight.

"It's wonderful, it's great to have this technology," Tony said. "I'm just trying to be there for her."

He said he is expected to return back to Minnesota in the fall.

"I'm very excited for that," he said. "I'll get to see the two of them in person."

Nancy Yang can be reached at nyang@pioneerpress.com.

or 651-228-5480.

Ellie