PDA

View Full Version : question about what is going on in okinawa

marinefamily5
09-04-05, 09:53 PM
i was wondering about the weather in okinawa.....i heard that they are having there own Katrina going on there now...........

GySgtRet
09-04-05, 10:07 PM
April through November is Typhoon season on Okinawa. As long as the water around the island is above 82 degrees there will be typhoons. I know this very well because I have been stationed there three times and loved every day of the tours there. There is a website for Okinawa or you can go to a website called Okinawa today and get the information.

Semper Fidelis

Tegan
09-04-05, 10:57 PM
YEs, they are having quite a ride there. My brother and my friend are there right now. I talked to my brother today, and when they go outside, they have to wear their helmets and their flak jackets. They can only go outside I believe for chow and a few other things. I have a picture of my brother and his buddies leaning against the wind!! I think he said that they are expecting winds of OVER 200 mph and the worst is yet to hit. My brother is right on the China Sea, so he has really awesome photo ops right now. pm me if you want me to send you a pic of what it looks like taken about 2 hours ago.
Tegan

radio relay
09-05-05, 07:42 AM
I don't know if they still do this, but back in '70 - '71 everything was made of concrete. The barracks, street signs, fences, and the local Okinawan houses were all concrete. Also, the parking lots all had steel loops embedded in them to provide tie down anchors. I got to experience a couple typhoons while I was there. It was wild, but not bad.

The difference between Okinawa, and the United States is that they get big storms so frequently that the Japanese build their structures to withstand the storms. In the U.S., we build as cheaply as we can and keep our fingers crossed.