PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know a recruiter who can help me?

Steve2525
09-03-05, 07:27 PM
Hi Marines,
First of all, my apologies in advance if this is being posted in the wrong area.

I have a few questions about joining the Marine Corps and my citizenship status. My birthplace is Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, and both of my parents were born in Canada. I currently live in Ottawa, Canada, and have lived in Canada all my life. However, my mother is an American citizen, she obtained U.S. citizenship at birth from my grandfather. My mom lived in the U.S. 9 years prior to her 14th birthday. My grandfather is also a U.S. citizen born the United States who lived there most of his life. My great grandparents were also U.S. citizens before they passed away. As well, I have one aunt and three uncles (my mothers brothers and sisters) all born in the United States and U.S. citizens.

Normally my mother could have registered me as an American citizen anytime before my 18th birthday, however, she choose not to do this because she felt no obligation too for whatever reason. My parents are divorced and I seldom talk to my mother and she had no interest in helping me obtain my U.S. citizenship, and I recently turned 18 June of this year. I would have written this letter long before I turned 18 in an attempt to find some help getting me properly registered as a U.S. Citizen, but my mother lied to me many times making up excuses as to why she never did it, now it’s to late. My mother also refuses to under any circumstances sponsor me for a green card so I can work in the U.S. and/or join the Marine Corps.

So my question is if there is anyway I can join the Marines in this status, I should be an American citizen except for the fact of my mother who refused to properly register me, and now refuses to sponsor me for a greencard.

Also, I have heard you can join the Marine Corps with Native status. This is another issue for me because it is a known family fact on my mothers side I have some Native blood. The problem is I have no way to trace this, I have a lot of family names that may be able to be traced but again my mother has absolutely no interest in helping me.

I have wanted to join the Marines all my life and am disappointed I may be denied the chance because of my mother who refused to properly register me as a U.S. citizen, it's been pretty frustrating. I am physically fit with no health issues, I have graduated high school with good grades, I have a clean criminal record, and I am athletic. I think I would be a good applicant for the Marine Corps and have enough money saved away to travel to any location in the U.S. to take the medical examination and start basic training. If anyone knows a way for me to join or someone I could contact to sort these issues out it would be greatly appreciated, I’d like to join as soon as possible.

Thanks for reading my post and if you know of anyone who can help me join your Corps. please let me know either by this board of by private e-mail. Again my apologies if this is a bad place to post, and thanks to all Marines for your service to America and allies.

-Steve
Steve.William@excite.com

yellowwing
09-03-05, 07:37 PM
The closest Marine Recruiter I could find to Ottawa are:
US Marine Corps Recruiting
(315) 265-9154
63 Market St
Potsdam, NY

US Marine Corps Recruiting
(518) 483-4181
222 W Main St
Malone, NY

Start with them and see what happens. They willl be your advocate. Any Recruiter will do everything possible to get you on the Yellow Footprints.

Steve2525
09-04-05, 02:53 PM
Thanks, I'll keep you updated, hopefully I'll be able to find someone who can help me.

yellowwing
09-04-05, 03:08 PM
While the paperwork slowly moves along you can still prepare. Physical fitness is paramount. Upper body strength and endurance. Make sure you know how to swim, and about a 100 other things.

Do you play any sports now? Good grades in school?

Steve2525
09-04-05, 03:22 PM
Hi yellowwing,
I'm pretty athletic, I play and referee paintball, bike everyday, and play basketball/soccer. I use to take swimming lessons every year and have become a pretty decent swimmer.

My grades in school were pretty good, good enough to get into University or College if I had wanted to. I think I'm pretty prepared and even picked up a book called "Joining the Marine Corps" that I have already read. I also use to be a cadet in a local Canadian Army unit.

It's a shame my mom was too much of a deadbeat to just register me as a citizen, it's caused so much frustration because I know I could be in by now.

I'm gonna get in touch with as many recruiters as I can, hopefully someone will do something for me. I've also considered sending a letter explaining my situation to some congress members to see if they can help. With the need for recruits right now I'm hoping someone can do something, I think I'd be a pretty good recruit.

-Steve

yellowwing
09-04-05, 03:34 PM
Find the closest Recruiter that will work with you and stick with that one. Hold off on writing letters until the Recruiter advises it. They will know exactly what to do to get you in. If you do things on your own, you may gum up the works.

And never bad mouth your Momma! She respectfully left the decision up to you, now you have to earn it. That's one of the things that Our Beloved Corps will try to teach you.

Joseph P Carey
09-04-05, 04:08 PM
Another thing you might want to see about is a letter from the different Police and Courts in your area, and other places where you might have lived, certifying that you are clean of record (Small things allowed, of course). The Corps will check, but it gives the recruiter some staying power, if he believes that nothing can go wrong can go wrong can go wrong can go wrong can go wrong...

Wing is correct! Be cool with your parents no matter what is happening. Remember, it is only Mom that we all know we are truly from, and being a father is being the best provider for his children in any circumstances imaginable.

GySgtRet
09-28-05, 09:47 AM
Steve2525,

Where in Canada are you at now? If you are 6th Nation Indian that is an excellent way to gain entry, but the evidence is up to you to provide the Marine Corps will not seek the information. If you do have 6th nation Indian status then go to the tribe to get your heritage documented. I had put in out of 110 contracts as a Marine Recruiter in the Buffalo New York area about 10 were Canadians. Bear in mine my recruiting time was back in 80 - 83, my information may not be up to date These folks made damn fine Marines. Good luck in your persuit to become a Marine.

Steve2525
09-28-05, 01:39 PM
Thanks again for the replies,

I'm working with a recruiter right now to get my work permit without moms help, and I've been trying to get back in touch with mom and with any luck sway her to just sign the paperwork for my greencard. With any luck somehow I can either get mom to sign or find a way to do it myself, the recruiter is also looking into other ways to solve this problem, he's been really helpful.

No luck on the Native Status, I'm just not Native enough unfortunately.

I just hope this all works out.

-Steve

Steve2525
11-03-05, 07:12 PM
Talk about frustration.

After alot of research and talking with my recruiter we keep hitting same wall, mom needs to sign for my work permit. Mom refuses to help me in any way, and their isn't anything I can do.

I refuse to give up on this but I really don't have any other options at this point to find a way to join.

Anyway just thought I'd give an update and hope to somewhere find someone who knows alot about immigration and getting work permits because this really bites, I should be an American citizen afterall but I can't do anything about it without my moms help and she refuses.

Thanks to everyone who has tried to help so far.

-Steve

CHOPPER7199
11-03-05, 09:32 PM
Steve2525, You Are In The Capital City Of Canada, I Believe We Have An Embassy There That You Can Check With, Plus You Have All The Government Of Canada At Your Door Step. Go There And Check Things Out. Check With The Immigration Department Yourself On Age Requirements On Coming To The States Yourself. Years Back You Needed A Sponsor, But If Qualify For The Marines I Believe Uncle Sam Will Do That For You. Good Luck And Keep Us Posted.

CHOPPER7199
11-03-05, 09:34 PM
Steve2525, You Are In The Capital City Of Canada, I Believe We Have An Embassy There That You Can Check With, Plus You Have All The Government Of Canada At Your Door Step. Go There And Check Things Out. Check With The Immigration Department Yourself On Age Requirements On Coming To The States Yourself. Years Back You Needed A Sponsor, But If you Qualify For The" Marines" I Believe Uncle Sam Will Do That For You. Good Luck And Keep Us Posted.

yellowwing
11-03-05, 11:29 PM
Steve, the current conflict will not end soon. If you have to wait a few month, so be it. Meanwhile you can still prepare with pullups, swimming, running...