PDA

View Full Version : Poem By Audie Murphy....

gunnyg
11-03-02, 09:34 PM
Via GyG'sMailbag: fr the WWII-List...

Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 21:27:07 -0500
From: "William L Howard" <wlhoward@GTE.NET> | This is Spam | Add to Address Book
Subject: Poem by Audie Murphy
To: WWII-L@LISTSERV.BUFFALO.EDU

Here is a poem by Audie Murphy that I always liked---

Freedom Flies in your Heart like an Eagle

Dusty old helmet, rusty old gun, They sit in the corner and wait-

Two souvenirs of the Second World War That have withstood the time, and the hate.

Mute witness to a time of much trouble. Where kill or be killed was the law- Were these implements used with high honor?

What was the glory they saw? Many times I've wanted to ask them- And now that we're here all alone, Relics all three of a long ago war- Where has freedom gone?

Freedom flies in your heart like an eagle. Let it soar with the winds high above Among the spirts of soldiers now sleeping, Guard it with care and love.

I salute my old friends in the corner, I agree with all they have said-

And if the moment of truth comes tomorrow, I'll be free, or by God, I'll be dead!

Audie Murphy had the credentials to speak of war and of honor and of freedom (IMO)

.. wmac

thedrifter
11-03-02, 09:42 PM
gunnyg, I just thought this would go along with your post.

History of Audie Murphy
Audie Murphy was born on June 20, 1924, near Kingston, Texas. He was the most decorated soldier in World War II. He enlisted in the army when he was 18 years of age. He received 33 citations for bravery in action including the Congressional Medal of Honor and the French Legion of Honor, Chevalier.
After the war, Audie Murphy became a successful actor. Of all the movies that he made, many people remember him best in the movie, "To Hell and Back".
The American public really respected Audie Murphy and admired his character because he always displayed a down to earth honesty and trust. Audie also displayed courage, motivation, and ingenuity during the war and in civilian life.
Audie died in a plane crash on May 28, 1971, and is buried at the Arlington National Cemetery. The American people really felt sad to lose such a wonderful American hero and son.
A brave man does things which are difficult to do.
A hero does things which seem impossible to do, such a man was Audie Leon Murphy.

Sempers,

Roger

firstsgtmike
11-03-02, 11:52 PM
No disrespect to the man, or to his accomplishments.

However, I saw his autobiographical movie "To Hell and Back" at a USMC base theater. The event for which he won the MOH was, naturally, a main event in the film.

He was atop a wrecked tank, armed wiith a BAR and holding off a company of Germans soldiers. The number 87 stands out in my mind, and I think that was how many bodies were piled up around him.

American reinforcements arrived, the remaining Germans took off, and Audie Murphy (who played himself in the movie) picked up his BAR by the BARRELL and joined his rescuers.

No one saw the next ten minutes of the movie because everyone in the theater was rolling on the floor, laughing hysterically.

The base laundry had to work overtime to clean all the yellow stained uniforms.

I saw him in a couple of westerns after that, and I guess he learned his lesson. He never again picked up a rifle by the barrell.

Semper Fi

gunnyg
11-04-02, 06:11 AM
I half expected somebody here to nail him for his use of the word "gun" in his poem.

No matter, he is still one of the best of the best, whether or not he ever had to sleep w/that M-1. Or maybe he was referring to his TSMG? Although the G refers to gun, in TSMG, I believe Col Thompson's first designation for his new weapon was automatic "carbine," making it too, a rifle.

Dick Gaines