PDA

View Full Version : Navajo son keeps strong tradition in Corps

thedrifter
09-02-05, 12:33 PM
Navajo son keeps strong tradition in Corps
MCRD San Diego
Story by Cpl. Derrick Small

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif. (Sept. 2, 2005) -- During World War II, about 400 Native Americans enlisted as code talkers to aid the Marine Corps with a secret communication the enemy never broke.

Pvt. Keylon W. Yazzie, Platoon 3097, Company I, plans to uphold the legacy of his Navajo ancestors by following the footsteps of a group of Marines who left a lasting mark on the Marine Corps - a mark of traditions, values, history and language.

"My great grandfather Harding Yazzie Sr. and my great uncle George Kirk were code talkers and they inspired me to join the Marines," Yazzie said. "I wanted to do something meaningful like them."

According to www.navajo.org, an official site of the Navajo Nation, the code talkers developed a dictionary that successfully translated military terms into the Navajo language. These Marines were trained to encode, decode and transmit a three-line English message in 20 seconds, while machines of that time would take 30 minutes to do the same task.

"Being a Navajo, I learned the ways of a warrior," said the 18-year-old Yazzie. "This is why I saw the honor and prestige of being a Marine. Although my family didn't talk about the war much, my great grandfather told us many stories about combat. One time he was sleeping in a fighting hole and he heard the Japanese soldiers walking near them so he picked up his entrenching tool and (defended himself)."

During the battle of Iwo Jima, six code talkers transmitted more than 800 messages without error. In 1992, the Navajo code talkers who served during WWII were honored at the Pentagon in Washington, D.C., for their brave efforts to help the United States gain victory.

"I remember (my father) coming back because all the Marines were given a huge reception," said Fred Yazzie, Pvt. Yazzie's grandfather. "Many Navajo men were fiercely loyal to their country because being a Marine filled them with an even greater sense of pride."

The Indian way of life instilled in Yazzie the characteristics of bravery and self-reliance, which has helped him to overcome the many challenges of boot camp, he said.

"As a Navajo, I have learned how to fend for myself," Yazzie said. "I even know how to hunt and fish. So, boot camp is tough, but being an Indian kid you work hard and can never quit."

Yazzie learned to live in harmony, but oil mining - a trademark profession for many in his hometown, Farmington, N.M. - was not something he felt was his calling. He decided to experience the same pride his ancestors felt years ago, he said.

"As an Indian kid you are always on the move and have to turn into a man quickly," Yazzie said. "We are always ensuring that our tradition stays alive, and being a Marine is part of that."

Yazzie admits being apprehensive before boot camp, but his family advised him that drill instructors are not powerful enough to stop time and neither could they devour him as a meal.

"I was mainly scared because I couldn't go home and say I failed," he said. "Navajo's work really hard so that we don't fail."

According to Fred Yazzie, before men would go off to war, there would be a big celebration for the spirits for a blessing for the soldier or Marine. In keeping with tradition, Fred Yazzie, now an ordained pastor for the Navajo Nation, held a prayer for the would-be Marine.

"(My grandson) got up to the pulpit and thanked all the people for teaching him the faith," Fred Yazzie said. "I know that his faith will hold him."

After graduating today, Pvt. Yazzie will go to Pensacola, Fla., and train to be an aircraft mechanic.

"I walk in beauty," he said. "It means I am at peace; everything is good and nothing can hurt me."

Ellie