PDA

View Full Version : Marine families affected by Katrina

ringoffire
09-02-05, 06:39 AM
This was sent to me thru my email and I wanted to pass it along, to anyone who is interested.

Marine Forces Reserve was based in New Orleans. Obviously it is in no condition to return to it. We have received word that the Marines stationed there are going to be relocated, not permanently but definitely long term, to the base here in Kansas City where my husband is stationed. The schools have already started getting new enrollments for kids coming in. They are doing the best they can to accomodate them. They have been informed that the children coming in have nothing. They don't even have basic school supplies. I found this information out from my son's school who got 6 enrollments just today. I know other schools have gotten some as well. It is just the beginning of many more to come.

We, as many of you, want to help. This is our chance to not only help, but help other Marine families. For now we are focusing on school supplies. At this point we don't know exactly what the families need other than this. If any of you would be willing to help out a child get back to some kind of normalcy please send us:

Backpacks, pens, pencils, paper, binders, protractors, calculators, notebook dividers, colored pencils, erasers, markers, crayons, pencil boxes, pencil pouches, folders, spirals, you name it. Anything else we can get for the families is great too. I can set it aside until I can get it to someone. Things got pretty hectic here really fast today. :) If you don't want to buy and ship something you can send gift cards to places like Walmart or Target. We can give these to the families as they come in, or we can go buy the school supplies ourselves to give them. What I'm going to do with any school supplies I get is package them up in backpacks. Then I can distribute them to the schools ready to go. They can hand them out to the families as they enroll.

Please help these families. You can send to:

Kelly Farmer
Marine Corps Family Network
15504 Allen Ave
Belton MO 64012