PDA

View Full Version : Keep religion out of military

thedrifter
09-01-05, 02:44 PM
Keep religion out of military
(Thu, Sep/01/2005)

The Air Force issued guidelines to all its commanders this week, cautioning them against promoting one religion over another or even "the idea of religion over nonreligion."

The guidelines were a response to complaints that "evangelical Christian" leaders at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colo., were using their positions to promote their faith.

Some cadets had reported that they felt pressured to participate in prayer services and to embrace certain Christian beliefs.

Members of the military, like all Americans, have the right to practice any religion they choose or to practice no religion at all.

It's easy to understand the problems that could arise within a military organization if junior members perceived that their superiors might hold them in low esteem because of differing religious beliefs.

The Air Force guidelines say, "Supervisors, commanders and leaders at every level bear a special responsibility to ensure their words and actions cannot reasonably be construed as either official endorsement or disapproval of the decisions of individuals to hold particular religious beliefs or to hold no religious beliefs."

They discourage public prayers at official Air Force events or meetings, but they permit "a brief nonsectarian prayer" at special ceremonies like promotions or in "extraordinary circumstances" like "mass casualties, preparation for imminent combat and natural disasters."

I think back to my years in the service.

I remember that during Marine recruit training at Parris Island, S.C., the drill instructors had a rather comical approach to religious matters.

They referred to Catholics as "Mackerel Snappers," an apparent reference to the eating of fish on Fridays. Jews were "Christ Killers," and Protestants were "Holy Rollers."

This was part of a larger psychological stress test that included all manner of racial and ethnic epithets heaped upon the new, would-be Marines. So far as I could tell, nobody was deeply offended because it wasn't directed at any one individual or group. Everybody got a ration of abuse. Everybody was denigrated. It was equal opportunity harassment.

I believe it was part of a transformation process to make secondary the various associations that helped define our civilian self-image. What would take precedence, if we survived the rigorous training, would be a new identity, that of Marines.

There were religious services for various faiths. We were free to attend, but no one forced us to attend. We could visit one of the Navy chaplains if we needed counseling of some sort.

Basically, though, the Marine Corps as an organization was religion neutral. Its business was fighting, and one's religious beliefs were personal, not military.

That's the way it should be.

They say there are no atheists in foxholes, and that might or might not be true. But if there are, it's their business, not their commanding officer's.

Lou Sessinger is a columnist with The Intelligencer. He can be contacted at (215) 957-8172 or lsessinger@phillyBurbs.com. Correspondence might be published unless the letter writer expressly states that it not be.

Ellie

Phantom Blooper
09-01-05, 04:38 PM
They say there are no atheists in foxholes, and that might or might not be true. But if there are, it's their business, not their commanding officer's.

I would have to agree with this statement to a point. It is no ones business what religion anyone practices or does not practice. As long as there is not human and weird, kinky sacrifices involved.

Our forefathers declared our independence with one of our freedoms being the freedom of religion.

Religion was never forced upon anyone that I know of while I was in the Marine Corps. I decided to forgo organized religion years ago for various reasons. Some say valid, some say not. I consider myself spiritual, even though I don't have a clue if it’s working or not. Regardless of religious affiliation however, all were marched to the command chapel for a memorial service to honor the fallen or a Marine or sailor killed in an accident.

I have seen death up close and personal and I cannot vouch for what religion if any...or what beliefs the individual had at the time of meeting their maker and starting to push up the clover. But even though the noise was deafening there was many muffled prayers and calling to God or whomever their faith decreed. But even in the hours of darkness I never heard anyone declare that there was no higher power, since no one has come back and told me I don't know. I will hold to the age old statement,” there are no atheists in foxholes."

Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall