PDA

View Full Version : Major pride

thedrifter
09-01-05, 02:40 PM
Major pride
Author: Lieutenant Ron Flanders, ESG-1 Public Affairs
Publication Date: 2005-09-01

At sea aboard USS Tarawa in the Indian Ocean - Most of us would love it if our son or daughter grew up to be a lawyer, as the profession of law is one of the most high-paying fields there is. And yet, cynics will turn right around and decry lawyers as money-grubbing fiends, filing frivolous lawsuits and billing clients hundreds of dollars per hour. It might not have been so funny for attorneys to see the movie the Devil’s Advocate, in which Satan (played by a devilish Al Pacino) is the head of a large law firm. Of course, as with all stereotypes there are notable exceptions to the rule. Meet Marine Corps Major Kenneth Lee, one lawyer who gets paid less than many of his civilian counterparts.

“It’s about service to my country,” said Lee, who graduated from St. Petersburg High in 1988, and whose parents Kenneth and Sophia Lee live in Jennings. “None of us in uniform does it for the money. It’s about a sense of duty; it is rewarding because it makes a difference in some way. That’s the paycheck that I’m interested in.”

While his former classmates in law school practice real estate law, probate or even criminal law, Maj. Lee lives in another world. As the deputy staff judge advocate for the forward-deployed 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU), he has many responsibilities, which typically fall outside of traditional civilian law.

First, Maj. Lee provides legal assistance to more than 2,000 Marines, helping them in cases of divorce, child custody issues, and a variety of things that can trouble a deployed Marine. Second, he advises the unit commander on handling cases involving Marines and Sailors accused of violating the Uniform Code of Military Justice. In some cases, Maj. Lee is the prosecutor; in others he is the defense attorney.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly in today’s wartime environment, Maj. Lee is responsible for advising the Marines on the ground on issues pertaining the rules of engagement (ROE). In other words, Lee advises the troops on when they can legally fire on the enemy. In past wars, this wasn’t much of an issue, but today there is a lot of gray area, and opening fire at the wrong time can be disastrous.

“Things aren’t black-and-white any more. In previous wars, there has been a defined enemy who wore a uniform, and when they surrendered, they put their hands up, and it was done,” Maj. Lee explains. “Today, we’re dealing with terrorists who don’t wear uniforms that employ criminal tactics when fighting. Keeping our Marines and Sailors educated on what is acceptable conduct on the battlefield is crucial, so they don’t commit war crimes, and more importantly, we protect the innocent.”

In this last role as a “combat JAG,” Maj. Lee accompanies the Marines on the ground, often carrying a 9mm pistol along with his legal briefs. Recently, during an operation to the Philippines, Colonel James Lavine, Commanding Officer of the 13th MEU, promoted Lee to the rank of major, a huge milestone for any Marine. The ceremony occurred while Maj. Lee and approximately 150 Sailors and Marines provided humanitarian assistance to the impoverished village of Batu-Batu in Tawi Tawi province.

“It meant a lot, getting promoted ashore, conducting an actual operation, it added special significance to it,” the major said. “It brings home all the reasons why you joined.”

There were many reasons Maj. Lee chose to forsake a more lucrative career in law for the Marine Corps. The primary reason was that his father, Kenneth Sr., was a Marine Sergeant.

“He never pushed me into it, but the Marines were what he was all about,” the major said. “Marines are different than any other service. Being a Marine means doing the right thing, and standing up for the little guy.”

Maj. Lee added that he enjoys the responsibility, the travel, and helping people like he and his fellow Marines and Sailors did in the Philippines. But life aboard a ship (he lives onboard the amphibious assault ship USS Tarawa) can be difficult. Being a Marine essentially means deploying at least every other year halfway across the world, sometimes going into harm’s way. Unlike most attorneys, Maj. Lee shares a small room with three other officers, which would make a college dorm seem spacious. He eats every meal either in a cafeteria, or out of a plastic pouch.

“I wish I could have some of mom’s home cookin’,” Maj. Lee chuckles. “As soon as my ship pulls in, I’m heading back to Florida that week.”

For now, though, Maj. Lee and his fellow Marines are in the middle of the Indian Ocean, steaming west toward possible action in the Middle East. As for how long he will remain a Marine lawyer, Maj. Lee said he’s keeping his options open, but is very happy being a Marine Corps Judge Advocate General.

“I have the attitude that if I really am enjoying what I’m doing, I want to stick with it,” he said. “To me, the main concern is job satisfaction. Right now, I feel like I’m doing something that’s worthwhile in the world. It feels good to do what I’m doing, to have at least a small part in making the world a better place.”

Ellie