View Full Version : Marine leader who grew up in Altamonte gets Bronze Star

thedrifter
09-01-05, 06:20 AM
Borrowed from Mark aka The Fontman

Marine leader who grew up in Altamonte gets Bronze Star
Etan Horowitz
Sentinel Staff Writer
September 1, 2005

Each time Sgt. Maj. Arthur Simpson Jr. and about 600 Marines under his command ventured into the streets of Fallujah to deliver supplies, their armored vehicles were constantly under attack.

Yet in the roughly six months Simpson and his unit were in Iraq, they pulled this off four times a day without losing a single Marine.

For coordinating such a massive and dangerous mission, Simpson, 41, who grew up in Altamonte Springs, was recently awarded the Bronze Star.

"He was a constant presence on the battlefield, doing all the things a sergeant major of Marines is supposed to do and more," Lt. Col. James A. Vohr, the commanding officer of Simpson's unit, said in an e-mail to the Orlando Sentinel. "The Marines looked up to him and followed the strong example he set. . . . He was the epitome of what you expect of a Marine leader in combat . . . out with the Marines, sharing the hardship and danger on a daily basis."

In addition to delivering supplies such as Band-Aids and bullets to soldiers in combat, Simpson also led his men in providing security for the Iraqi elections, recovering damaged vehicles from the battlefield and bringing toys and soccer balls for Iraqi children. Although transporting supplies might seem like a mundane task in wartime, it never was, Simpson said.

"It's kind of like taking some of your worst fears, the baddest dreams you ever had as a kid, and combining them into reality," Simpson said in a phone interview from Korea, where he is serving on a mission.

He also was recognized for taking a Marine reserve unit from New York, combining it with his Marines and making a cohesive unit.

Simpson plans to serve for another nine years, giving him a total of 30 years of service. Then he hopes to go into pharmaceutical sales or homeland security.

"I love taking a young man from any part of our country and forming him into an ambassador and watching him grow from a young boy," Simpson said. "It's phenomenal. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world."

Simpson's younger brother, Irvin, 39, who is also a Marine, said his brother has been a leader since childhood. As the oldest of three brothers, he would do most of the chores -- and eat most of the food, Irvin Simpson said. Arthur Simpson also led his younger brother into the Marines.

"He convinced me that the Parris Island, S.C., boot camp wasn't as hard as it was supposed to be," Irvin Simpson said, "but I found out that was a lie. My first letters were to him and Mom, telling Mom that I arrived safe and him that it was a lie. I was very mad, but he knew if he would have told me it was hard, I might not have went."

Despite his early anger, like his brother, Irvin Simpson has made a career out of the Marines, serving for 21 years. The two brothers have been stationed together and communicated often by e-mail and telephone while Arthur was in Iraq.

Simpson's father and stepmother live in Deltona, and his mother lives in Altamonte Springs.

Arthur Simpson's son, Aaron, 18, of Orlando, is about to join the Marines. Although Simpson wishes his son would go to college first, just as his mother put aside her concerns as he entered the Marines, Simpson will do the same for his son.

"I have learned through trial and error that they have to live their own life," Simpson said.

Etan Horowitz can be reached at ehorowitz@orlandosentinel.com or 386-851-7915.

Ellie