PDA

View Full Version : Make Love, Not War: 2005

thedrifter
08-31-05, 07:37 AM
Make Love, Not War: 2005
Written by Bob Parks
Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Funny how words can come back to haunt you.

Didn’t Live Up to the Name

Until Hurricane Katrina came and temporarily knocked Natalee Holloway, Cindy Sheehan and Judge John Roberts off the radar, one of the big shockers was that Timken High School in Canton, Ohio had a wee bit of a problem.

Out of 490 female students, 65 are pregnant.

According to WEWS, NewsChannel5, “Some would say that movies, TV, videogames, lazy parents and lax discipline may all be to blame. School officials are not sure what has contributed to so many pregnancies, but in response to them, the school is launching a three-prong educational program to address pregnancy, prevention, and parenting.”

Let me tackle this, if I may be so bold.

As a parent, I must admit to relying somewhat on movies, television, and videogames to entertain my youth. As much as I tried to steer them clear of such, the television spends more time on MTV as I would like, but as I can interject conservative principles as balance, I would hope my sons can differentiate between entertainment and reality.

At Timken, there was an interview on a cable program where one of the pregnant girls said something like “I never thought it would happen to me. I always thought those things happened to other people.” I personally smirk when “things” happen to people who have that narcissistic attitude. Welcome to realty!

This line from the article struck me as odd: “School officials are not sure what has contributed to so many pregnancies.”

How does one respond to that? School officials aren’t sure? Let me take a stab at that: THOSE KIDS HAD SEX! They retained what they learned in the very sex education those officials insisted they teach, despite the wishes of some parents, in order to avoid the very teen pregnancy epidemic they have today.

Liberals brought in books that showed body parts, what they do, and where they would need to go to function correctly. They insisted that teaching sexuality instead of geography was a good thing. Now we’ve got a nation of breeding kids who are dumb as stones. And if you think I’m exaggerating, play that ''making change'' game the next time a young person waits on you at a cash register.

I’m firmly of the thought that sexual instruction was my job as a parent to explain when I was good and ready. I would give my sons “The Talk” when I thought it appropriate, not some progressive whose attitude is that “They’re going to do it anyway so let’s show ‘em how and what do you know, Dad?”

I would stress and explain that sex (thus making a child) will alter every goal they ever wished for their future. Instead, liberals offer all kinds of support mechanisms that make that bad choice something they can live with, as long as we’re all guilt-tripped into paying for it in some form or another. Day care at school for teen moms may be convenient, but having and raising children thereafter is not.

To make childrearing that easy is an illusion. It also makes it something other teens may find palatable. Teens should be told that abstinence has never resulted in having to change gooey diapers several times a day, or making sure you have enough money to feed and clothe a baby every day.

Having a child means suddenly having to be responsible. That alone should be scary enough for abstinence to be the choice of choices for today’s teens.

And I don’t know how many times this needs to be said to a child: the world does not revolve around you. Never has, never will. Bad things can and will happen to you.

Deal with it.

Cindy Sheehan’s Line in the Ditch

“Then we have this lying bastard, George Bush, taking a five week vacation in a time of war. You know what? I’m never going to get to enjoy another vacation because of him. My vacation probably--this is really sad because I have a really cute dress I was going to wear to the banquet tomorrow night--but I’m either going to be in jail or in a tent in Crawford, waiting until that jerk comes out and tells me why my son died.”

“You get that evil maniac out here, ‘cause a Gold Star Mother, somebody whose blood is on his hands, has some questions for him.”

“Our country has been overtaken by murderous thugs--gangsters who lust after fortunes and power, never caring that their addictions are at the expense of our loved ones, and the blood of innocent people near and far. We’ve watched these thugs parade themselves before the whole world as if they are courageous advocates for Christian moral values...and for the spread of democracy. Yet we all know that they are now putting in place, all across this country, a system of voting that provides no way to validate the accuracy of the counting of the votes...and that, by its very design, prohibits recounting the votes. Our loved ones have been buried in early graves even as these arrogant thugs parade themselves before the entire world, insisting that democracy is worth dying for, killing for, and destroying entire cities for...In their secret hiding places, while celebrating newly won fortunes with their fellow brass, these men must surely congratulate themselves with orgies of carnal pleasure as they mock the dwindling multitudes who are yet so blind as to mistake them for God’s devoted servants.”

I must admit to getting a laugh from all the -mail sent by liberals who contend that I have no moral authority to say anything negative about Cindy Sheehan. That I am a bully, mean, and should shut up.

To them I offer this: you are the very people who claim to embrace the First Amendment and its promise of free speech. You are also the people who lose your arguments when they are met with facts and logic. So like the small people and cowards you are, you flock to the education establishment so you can indoctrinate young minds with little life experience, thus little frame of reference. They take the word of uncoiffed professors as gospel because they are...professors. They are taught to shout down those with whom they disagree and be resistant to opinions that differ from what they were taught, despite the very mission of colleges which purport to be places that embrace the free exchange of ideas.

Expletive deleted. (Satisfied...?)

I am proud to say that the greatest percentage of e-mail I get is from college students. They seem to enjoy unapologetically, alternative opinions. Meanwhile, Sheehan is just going by the liberal playbook and is being surrounded by the typical freeloaders. And you know what? The bills need to be paid.

“What you can do to help? Support Cindy by making a contribution:

Your financial support is needed to make sure that Cindy and other military families and veterans can continue their vigil outside the Presidents, (sic) ranch. Please contribute to help cover the costs of assisting others with their travel and their stay in Crawford.”

I won’t apologize for anything I’ve written or said about Cindy Sheehan. She may have started out a grieving mother, but now she’s a willing, egomaniacal tool of the left. And who’s pulling her strings and planning those photo-op fainting spells?

Try Sheehan’s “organizer” Lisa Fithian for starters.

Byron York points out, “Fithian is a legendary organizer who operates in the world of anti-globalism anarchists, antiwar protesters, and union activists; an advocate of aggressive 'direct action' demonstrations, she protested the first Gulf war, played an important role in the violent shutdown of Seattle during the 1999 World Trade Organization meeting, was a key planner in protests at the Republican and Democratic national conventions in 2000 and 2004, and organized demonstrations at trade meetings in Washington, D.C., Prague, and Genoa.”

And if this were such a noble cause, where are all the like-minded Democrats who’d normally love the national attention hanging out with Cindy Sheehan would offer? Where’s Chuck Schumer, John Kerry, Hillary Clinton, Maxine Waters, and Howard Dean?

They are hiding because they are cowards. Cowards who are good at using people. Using people like Cindy Sheehan who doesn’t mind being used because she’s getting all the attention one could ask for.

But Sheehan need remember that these same liberals in the media are well known for tearing down those they prop up.... Rather quickly, and quite efficiently.

About the Writer: Bob Parks is a versatile writer, activist, and political campaigner, who currently resides in Boston.

Ellie