PDA

View Full Version : Anti-war group: Recruiters target minorities

thedrifter
08-30-05, 12:28 PM
August 30, 2005
Anti-war group: Recruiters target minorities
Associated Press

LOS ANGELES — A coalition of anti-war activists have launched a national campaign, claiming that military recruiters are unfairly targeting minorities at high schools.

The advocates plan to educate students and their parents “to keep our children from being cannon fodder,” Rosalio Munoz, coordinator for Latinos for Peace, said during a news conference Monday in East Los Angeles.

The groups made the announcement on the 35th anniversary of the Chicano Moratorium, a protest against the disproportionate number of Hispanics being killed in the Vietnam War. The 20,000-member march ended in a riot and the deaths of three people, including Los Angeles Times columnist and KMEX-TV Channel 34 news director Ruben Salazar.

The activists said that too many Hispanic youths have died in the war in Iraq.

They want schools to limit the presence of recruiters on campus and to do a better job of informing students about how to keep the military from obtaining their personal information.

Under the Bush administration’s No Child Left Behind Act, recruiters can obtain the names, addresses and phone numbers of high school juniors and seniors unless parents or students sign a form opting out.

Organizers plan to begin a campaign to urge students at about 30 schools to sign the forms.

The coalition will also discourage students from taking the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery test, a military recruitment tool.

“It is unconscionable that this is going on — the targeting of the working poor in our community,” said Arlene Inouye, organizer of Coalition Against Militarism in Our Schools. “Our students are getting shammed into the military.”

Ellie

Joseph P Carey
08-30-05, 12:57 PM
Oh God! They are starting this crap again! I see nothing, and no one, but Americans dying in the war for their right to wear a uniform of the USA. According to what I have read, it is still 80% or better that the people dying are considered White, but with the blurring of the races in this country, it is very hard to differentiate one type of American from another. Should they want to call them white, so be it.

It is time we stop all this race crap. There are no homogeneous race lines any longer! We have produced a whole new race to the world, the American! The average American can probably trace his lineage in several different directions, and through a multitude of different countries, and continents, and distinguishable races. After all, it is most important what is in a man’s heart, not what is on his face that counts.

These rabble-rousers are the same people that said this of the Vietnam War, and, in the end, they were proved wrong as usual. They hope to win support for their cause by causing a division in Americans. It isn’t going to happen!

KingDonkeyPunch
08-30-05, 01:07 PM
Well said JPC. No matter where our grandparents were from, we are all now american. All these "hyphenated race groups" (ie Hispanic-American, African-American, Arabic-American), need to change their attitude. We all fight for the same cause, and all bleed the same color. Why are we fighting eachother?

003XXMarineDAD
08-30-05, 01:29 PM
Do rednecks count as a minority too? I see alot of those joining to.

Osotogary
08-30-05, 01:47 PM
Don't forget about the FFOA. (Freckled, not to be confused with speckled, Folks of America) They are everywhere!

dcline
08-30-05, 05:46 PM
Yesterday I was filling out a birth certificate at the hospital. The race section was a half page with categories and subcategories absolutely ridicules! I found American at the bottom of the list. That just floored me. Since 1776 people have given thar lives regardless of race to make shore that the American ideal's and principals live on. No body wanted to die but freedom was not free then and is not free now we have to protect what we have earned and discouraging young men and women from serving thar country is not very American or Patriotic. Thar may be a war to day that is bring a freedom to a country that did not no what freedom was. Thay will learn to cherish it and live to be free in the future just like so many other country's before them. Don't discourage the youth of America for making a choice to protect and serve this Grate Nation and help keep us safe.
sorry got all worked up.
Semper Fi
dcline
To us and those like us.

Joseph P Carey
08-30-05, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by 003XXMarineDAD

Now, Rednecks are not a race! They are a subspecies! They are hard working, hard drinking, hard fighting single-minded SOBs and Bastards that I was always proud of to have fighting with me, and not against me, even if I did have to listen to their music with cotton in my ears. :-) :-0 ;-)

HardJedi
08-30-05, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by 003XXMarineDAD

i gotta agree on the sub-species part at least...........

LMAO

carroll1972
08-30-05, 08:08 PM
I'm part Irish.............will this make me a minoriity....
I'm part Indian .........willthis make me a minority......
I'm part British..........will this make me a minorty......
I'm part Scottish........now...i know this makes me a minority

My lottery number was so high.....my recruiter....told me .."son ..you'll never be called....."......I told him......sir.....I want to server my country.....I want to do something for me...in the process....this was in Jan...1972.......I served during the V.N. error......I never made it over there...but I was prepared to go...if called......THANK GOD......WE STILL HAVE MEN..and WOMEN....THAT WILL STILL ANSWER THE CALL TO SERVE THEIR COUNTRY.......Just wish some of these cry babies....would volunteer.....and see what it's all about........they don't have a clue....
What if no one joint the service....black ...white...brown...or green.....think where would this country be.....?

If the women......and fathers didn't want their sons and daughters to serve their country.......why didn't they just have an abortion....or keep their legs closed....or keep their manhood in their pants.......or why don't they move to Mexico..or Canada....or some other country.....

GySgtRet
08-30-05, 08:56 PM
I am really tired of hearing about this racial crap all of the time. On a job application there wasn't a block for human race so I had to stick with the standard one. These Marine, Solders, Sailors and Air Man are all AMERICANS DAMN IT...!!!

airframesguru
08-30-05, 09:04 PM
Light Green Dark Green... GREEN!

UNITED STATES MARINE!!!!

I thought we were over the color/racial deal.. WTFO!

Joseph P Carey
08-31-05, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by airframesguru

UNITED STATES MARINE!!!!

I thought we were over the color/racial deal.. WTFO!

From what I have seen on this board, we ARE over this racial crap, but the Liberals, they are not! Now, that IS strange, is it not? It appears that they are the only ones looking at the color of a person's skin.

Devildogg4ever
08-31-05, 05:08 AM

UNITED STATES MARINE!!!!
Thats how I've always seen it, and how it should always be!!

kentmitchell
09-01-05, 05:48 AM
The article didn't mention how many recruiters were from minority races. They overlook what doesn't fit their agenda.